Copperheads

random_ax

Thanks for posting that logo. I was very interested in that story and followed it closely, but didn't have a copy. It was designed by an independent designer in northeast TN. I believe his name was Bill Bledsoe. To my knowledge it was not, at any time, seriously considered by Bud Adams or the NFL, but the designer had a website. I believe it was copperheadsfootball.com. He also pitched the idea to the media, but probably never got any face time with Adams himself.

I don't know what the significance of the maple tree is. Maybe they just liked the way it looked. Tennessee's official state tree is the tulip poplar, but that certainly wouldn't have worked :P

Regarding the 3 stars, not only are there 3 distinct regions of the state geographically, they also have very different histories, customs political beliefs, etc.

East, West and Middle TN are almost like 3 different states altogether.

Now I find myself wondering if Pantone has the Missouri Mud concepts that a designer made during the flubbed St. Louis expansion bid. It wasn't an official concept--the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had designers work on potential identities.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Now I find myself wondering if Pantone has the Missouri Mud concepts that a designer made during the flubbed St. Louis expansion bid. It wasn't an official concept--the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had designers work on potential identities.

Wish I did...first time I've even heard of that.

:therock:

Copperheads.gif

from this website

http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm

click on prototypes

No, no, no, as I stated in the ealier post...i know about this one. Thanks anyway but the helmet I'm talking about has a snake on a leaf.

And as I stated in the earlier post, the helmet didnt have the snake on a leaf, the snake on a leaf was some alternate logo they created for it. No helmets involved.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wish I did...first time I've even heard of that.

:therock:

I've still got the P-D article at home in a box somewhere. I'll have to scan it at some point. A web search doesn't come up with anything.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I see those stars made it to the Titans logo. Do they have any special significance for Tennessee?

Tennessee State Flag --

nunst069.gif

From 50states.com:

The three stars on the flag represent the three different land forms in Tennessee. Mountains in the east, highlands in the middle and lowlands in the west. On the flag these regions are bound together in an unbroken circle. The field is crimson with a blue background for the stars. The final blue strip relieves the sameness of the crimson field and prevents the flag from showing too much crimson when it is limp.

EDIT -- I'd have been first if I hadn't added the history. :P

Also as a note of obscurity, Tennessee was the 3rd state to join the Union after the original 13 (the first 2 being Vermont and Kentucky) I like that mock-up jersey with the stripes and the 3 stars. That would've been awesome to see. Gonna save it in my "obscure uniforms" folder :D

Wow, y'all are hittin' all around it! Straight from the Tennessee Blue Book:

The three stars are of pure white, representing the three grand divisions of the state. They

are bound together by the endless circle of the blue field, the symbol being three bound

together in one?an indissoluble trinity.

The "third state after the original 13" thing was started in a feature about the US state flags in National Geographic, I believe. When asked about that explanation, the flag's designer pretty much said, "Yeah, that would work, too!" :D

Copperheads.gif

from this website

click on prototypes

No, no, no, as I stated in the ealier post...i know about this one. Thanks anyway but the helmet I'm talking about has a snake on a leaf.

And as I stated in the earlier post, the helmet didnt have the snake on a leaf, the snake on a leaf was some alternate logo they created for it. No helmets involved.

Right but I'm talking about a helmet that was not designed by the NFL but rather was produced by a private website. I saw a lot of it during that period when the Oilers were looking for a new name. I know about the copper helmet with the faded derrick, thanks.

I see those stars made it to the Titans logo. Do they have any special significance for Tennessee?

Tennessee State Flag --

nunst069.gif

From 50states.com:

The three stars on the flag represent the three different land forms in Tennessee. Mountains in the east, highlands in the middle and lowlands in the west. On the flag these regions are bound together in an unbroken circle. The field is crimson with a blue background for the stars. The final blue strip relieves the sameness of the crimson field and prevents the flag from showing too much crimson when it is limp.

EDIT -- I'd have been first if I hadn't added the history.

Also as a note of obscurity, Tennessee was the 3rd state to join the Union after the original 13 (the first 2 being Vermont and Kentucky) I like that mock-up jersey with the stripes and the 3 stars. That would've been awesome to see. Gonna save it in my "obscure uniforms" folder :D

Wow, y'all are hittin' all around it! Straight from the Tennessee Blue Book:

The three stars are of pure white, representing the three grand divisions of the state. They

are bound together by the endless circle of the blue field, the symbol being three bound

together in one?an indissoluble trinity.

The "third state after the original 13" thing was started in a feature about the US state flags in National Geographic, I believe. When asked about that explanation, the flag's designer pretty much said, "Yeah, that would work, too!" :D

I blame my source material. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Copperheads.gif

from this website

click on prototypes

Right but I'm talking about a helmet that was not designed by the NFL but rather was produced by a private website. I saw a lot of it during that period when the Oilers were looking for a new name. I know about the copper helmet with the faded derrick, thanks.

This faded-derrick helmet was not designed by the NFL this is the helmet that goes along with the logo set you are referring to.

The helmet AND the logo you want were designed by a private website, the logo you are referring to was an alternate logo that went along with this set. It was NOT a helmet.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• LMU pinned and unpinned this topic

Archived