Cowboys vs Seahawks Final Moments

NJTank

after this Jerry ought to fire Parcells for this. not just for a knee jerk loss, but for his inability to win big games over his 4 year tenure. He has failed to build anything respectable for an OL, him and Zimmer failed on defense (the 3-4 was a joke), they wasted picks on positions they didn't need(ie future FOB Fasano). Basically he is better than Campo and that due to the fact that Campo had nothing to begin with. BP is 34-33 in dallas, he has failed time to move on.

That all sounds like the GM's responsibility. Remember unlike his time with the Jets Parcells was not the GM and did not have total control of the Cowboy. The GM and the person making personnel decisions was Jones himself. Maybe Jerry should fire himself.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly, Parcells didn't take Romo off of kick hold duties because he absolutely hates switching holders, he's really big on having a good kicker-holder relationship and doesn't want to tamper with it during the year.

Of course, the also released Vanderjagt halfway through the year so really that would've been the ideal opportunity to put in someone else as the holder since they'd have a new kicker anyway.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

That was nuts. :shocked: I was already in my "Hawk Disappointment Mode" before the field goal attempt. Romo did get the Cowboys down the field to have an attempt at a field goal, so one could say his achievement set up his disappointment. The Hawks do need to count their blessings and realize playing like that in Chicago will get them killed. Grossman may not be on a hot streak, but the Bear defense is going to give Hasselbeck problems. It should be fun in the windy city, but it will be hard to top this circus finish. Go HAWKS!

2000Patch.jpg

can any other CCSLC'er be proud to say they attended that game? wow. what an experience. best game ive ever watched. i too was in my "hawks disappointment mode" for most the 4th quarter, from the 4x failure on the 1, and on. even when the tied it, i looked at the clock, "hmm...3 minutes? plenty of time for a game ending field goal."

the most well-spent 3 hours and $150 of my life.

Good to see another GFC/MVC fan on the board :D

Likewise. It's kind of cute to watch the national media wake up finally. "Hey, the Valley is a good basketball league!"

Big game Saturday night at your place. SIU is one of the most hated foes for Bears fans, so we're really hoping to go in and steal one from you Ugly Dawgs.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

First of all congratulations to the Seahawks, but as a big Dallas fan, it was sure hard to watch. I myself don't think Witten got the first (but I was sure hoping they would find a good camera angle to help us out), Glenn wasn't down, his knee touched and the ball touched, but nobody touched him if I remember correctly. Romo was never replaced as the kick holder because he has been perfect as the kick holder, too bad it was the most important hold of the season that slipped on him. Definitely that burst his bubble, but all quarterbacks must go through adversity to be great. We'll see if it makes him hungry or shatters him.

I have more of a problem with Parcells not throwing at a very depleted Seattle secondary. TO gets shut down by a loan officer? And seeing DWare drop into coverage when he is the only guy that can get to the quarterback on the team seems crazy. At least Bobby Carpenter showed a little.

Ought to be an interesting offseason for the 'Boys....

Backup QBs make good holders because the other team at least respect the possibility of a fake pass.

QB's make better holders because they're used to having the football in their hands, unlike punters, or in Notre Dame's case, a WR.

I always was of the opinion that a QB is the ideal person to hold for kicks. However, I think it was Jimmy Johnson of Fox that made the point that he liked using a punter for a holder, since a punter would be used to fielding a long snapper's snap.

Other than ND using Samardzija, I can only think of the Rams (Dane Looker, maybe even Ricky Proehl in the past) as using a WR for holding duties, the theory there being that you want someone sure-handed to field that long snap.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

First of all congratulations to the Seahawks, but as a big Dallas fan, it was sure hard to watch. I myself don't think Witten got the first (but I was sure hoping they would find a good camera angle to help us out), Glenn wasn't down, his knee touched and the ball touched, but nobody touched him if I remember correctly. Romo was never replaced as the kick holder because he has been perfect as the kick holder, too bad it was the most important hold of the season that slipped on him. Definitely that burst his bubble, but all quarterbacks must go through adversity to be great. We'll see if it makes him hungry or shatters him.

I have more of a problem with Parcells not throwing at a very depleted Seattle secondary. TO gets shut down by a loan officer? And seeing DWare drop into coverage when he is the only guy that can get to the quarterback on the team seems crazy. At least Bobby Carpenter showed a little.

Ought to be an interesting offseason for the 'Boys....

A couple of thoughts. First, you show a lot of class by congratulating Seattle. Also, I too am amazed that a coach of Parcells' stature didn't exploit that Seahawk secondary for about 400 yards passing, and that Ware was covering receivers. Bizarre.

Now a hypothetical: I can't recall whether Seattle still had timeouts, but suppose they didn't and the Witten play happened outside the last 2 minutes, when the replays begin coming from the booth as opposed to a coach's challenge. Seattle gets hosed big time and is out of the playoffs on an officiating mistake. They need to fix it so a play like that isn't dependent on a team having a timeout available.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I guess we all know where that anointing oil is.... it's on Tony Romo's hands....

I remember a comment that Joe Theismann made during the Jets-Dolphins game on Christmas day when, after a slip by the Jets punter Ben Graham that, Joe said that the backup QB should be the holder. Well, since Romo began the year as the backup QB, thus the holder, I think Joe needs to reconsider that thought.

Well, in all fairness, Joe Theisman is no Norman Einstein.

I guess we all know where that anointing oil is.... it's on Tony Romo's hands....

I remember a comment that Joe Theismann made during the Jets-Dolphins game on Christmas day when, after a slip by the Jets punter Ben Graham that, Joe said that the backup QB should be the holder. Well, since Romo began the year as the backup QB, thus the holder, I think Joe needs to reconsider that thought.

Well, in all fairness, Joe Theisman is no Norman Einstein.

Hes no Norman Easison either.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Look I don't think Romo as the holder was a problem. That could have happened to any holder whether they are the starting QB, backup QB, or the punter. Where it helps to have a QB as the holder is that the QB has more of a presence of mind of what to do if that happens. Romo did the right thing by trying run for the first down, he just got caught. Had it been a punter as the holder it could have been a Garo Yepremian type situation.

It was one of those freak occurrences. Saying Romo shouldn't have been the holder is extreme Monday night quarterbacking.

The whole game ending debacle is clearly a by product of the pressure that Romo was facing in playing his first playoff game. Because the playoffs are set up to allow only one team to finish as champion an inordinate amount of pressure is heaped on one single individual in situations like this. I believe this is among the most important reasons why the NFL should simply permit any team with an 8-8 record or better to participate in a post-season bowl game and allow the game hosts to select matchups which will attract the most interest, rotating a championship game among the various host venues. Naturally the two best teams in the NFL for that season would play in the title game while the rest of the .500 or better teams get a nice reward for a non-losing season. This is the only way to be fair to the players.

The whole game ending debacle is clearly a by product of the pressure that Romo was facing in playing his first playoff game. Because the playoffs are set up to allow only one team to finish as champion an inordinate amount of pressure is heaped on one single individual in situations like this. I believe this is among the most important reasons why the NFL should simply permit any team with an 8-8 record or better to participate in a post-season bowl game and allow the game hosts to select matchups which will attract the most interest, rotating a championship game among the various host venues. Naturally the two best teams in the NFL for that season would play in the title game while the rest of the .500 or better teams get a nice reward for a non-losing season. This is the only way to be fair to the players.

:notworthy:

Good to see another GFC/MVC fan on the board :D

Likewise. It's kind of cute to watch the national media wake up finally. "Hey, the Valley is a good basketball league!"

Big game Saturday night at your place. SIU is one of the most hated foes for Bears fans, so we're really hoping to go in and steal one from you Ugly Dawgs.

Please no. We can't afford to lose a 3rd straight game. I don't want to turn into Wichita State.

I didn't make the connection until reading of it in Sports Illustrated, but this game eerily imitated the movie North Dallas Forty. If you recall, the fictional North Dallas Bulls score a TD at the end of a crucial game. Just kick the extra point and we go to OT...but...their backup QB, wearing # 9 no less, muffs the snap on the extra point. Game over, no playoffs, Dallas goes home. How weird is that?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived