The Great NFL Fun Book II (1981)

Krona

Speaking of those silver helmets....

PANTONE! How did the silver helmet the oilers use differ from the Lions and Cowboys' silvers (Or "Cowboys Metalic Blue.") ? It looks to me like it's a little more blue than the Cowboys.

I actually don't have a clue. The Oilers' Silver helmets pre-date the use of Pantone colors, so old photographs (or, if someone had some actual game-worn equipment) are all we really have to go on.

However, I've got a GREAT old color photograph (close-up even) of the Silver Oilers; I'll get it scanned and post it here tomorrow...

I gotsta get to bed...

OK...still need to do something about getting the pic up here, but here's what the colors looked like (to me, anyway):

HoustonOilers_FRC_1971_SOL.jpg

I think it was just a standard Silver (877 C)...however, the Columbia Blue (called "Silver-Blue" in a 1972 Style Guide I've got scans of), was a bit different than it ended up being...

Thanks PANTONE - you rock!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...the team in Red is definitely the Pats...

A lot of you have probably already seen this other pic, but a while ago, I took another digital pic from the same book I got the Oilers picture from (The Pro Football Experience...it's an in-game pic of the Falcons - when they had the Old Gold stripes on the helmets:

AtlantaFalcons_1969.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the 1969 Houston Oilers' unis were the best sports togs ever:

31514440_o.jpg

31514438_o.jpg

31608473_o.jpg

This photo has the helmet in a nice silvery-blue tint:

31514445_o.jpg

By the way, those wonderful quadruple sleeves were brought from the St. Louis Cards by coach Wally Lemm when he came to Houston.

FsQiF2W.png

i've secretly wanted the titans to wear more silver for a while now... but i'm not going to push it too hard, because i'm perfectly happy with the recent influx of more luv ya blue.

Those Oilers sets with the silver are great. Why they ever changed it is beyond me.

You guys know the story behind the Falcons' gold helmet stripes? Seems Georgia Tech and its alumni were incensed when their hometown Falcons chose the red, white, and black of the hated cross-state rival Georgia Bulldogs as their colors. The gold stripes were added to quiet the Techsters but disappeared after a couple of seasons.

From the excellent helmethut.com:

nobis1.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

my guess for why the oilers dropped silver, is maybe they thought they looked too much like the hated cowboys?

Maybe, but it's too bad nonetheless, especially since their silver helmets resembled those worn by oilfield workers.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The rest:

NFL-ATL-CHI.gifNFL-Det-KC.gif

NFL-LA-NE.gifNFL-NO-OAK.gif

Saints and Chargers unis/logos = the sex.

I had the 1980 version of the book and when I decided to draw inside of the helmet in the book, I made a........you guessed it.......Chargers helmet....and I don't know why....Royal blue and Cheese Yellow are mesmerizing....

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived