The Great NFL Fun Book II (1981)

Krona

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just whipped this up real quick, favorite uniforms of all time with my, well not so favorite player of all time.

pats.png

Uh,should the facemasks be white instead of red?

Wheres the neck brace

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Man, I remember that book from when I was young. I loved that book. And can I just state for the record that those are still the

BEST BILLS UNIFORMS EVER!!!!!!

That was the year I became a serious Bills fan. Joe Ferguson rocked.

I am pretty sure that is the year he played a wildcard game against the Chargers with a broken ankle.

Just whipped this up real quick, favorite uniforms of all time with my, well not so favorite player of all time.

Uh,should the facemasks be white instead of red?

Wheres the neck brace

HAHAHAHA, i'll be adding that, and the knee braces on version 2.0.

Am I wrong or does the Falcons model have the logo removed from his helmet and sleeves? Just like the early 1980s football cards. I think ATL should have a sleeve logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The two stripes at the back of the helmet on the Bengals helmets have never extended clear down to the bottom of the helmet. Not even in '81, their first year.

You are correct! This incorrect version of the Bengals helmet served as their official helmet logo for at least part of their first season. It is what was released prior to the season, and I spent time in the summer of '81 memorizing and learning how to draw it. The team then took the field for its first preseason game and I realized that the helmet stripes were different than what I had just taken days to perfect. I'm not sure when they actually abandoned that logo. Thing is, the striping pattern on that looks better than what they actually use.

Seeing this book in this thread sent me to the basement to look for it. Sadly, it's not in my house. I'll have to check at the folks house, but I'm pretty sure I took everything that meant anything when I left. So it's probably lost.

:cry:

Note the Saints' model in their short-lived white pants. Their away set used the white pants as well, and it looked pretty cool.

NFL-NO-OAK.gif

As for the helmets, those are pretty old (60's) what with the 2-bar face mask, that's why there are a few inconsistencies. For example. the Saints is the original shade of gold and a few of the logos (Falcons, Lions, Vikings) are way bigger than normal.

I scored a 3-foot high, two-sided version of that very Saints helmet a couple of years ago on eBay. It's the kind designed to hang up in a sports bar. I had it in my cube back when I had a cube. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Note the Saints' model in their short-lived white pants. Their away set used the white pants as well, and it looked pretty cool.

NFL-NO-OAK.gif

As for the helmets, those are pretty old (60's) what with the 2-bar face mask, that's why there are a few inconsistencies. For example. the Saints is the original shade of gold and a few of the logos (Falcons, Lions, Vikings) are way bigger than normal.

I scored a 3-foot high, two-sided version of that very Saints helmet a couple of years ago on eBay. It's the kind designed to hang up in a sports bar. I had it in my cube back when I had a cube. :P

The away set (or the white jersey set) only used the white pants in 1975. The Saints wore black pants with white jerseys from 1976-85. They used the white pants with black jerseys from 1975-85.

The away set (or the white jersey set) only used the white pants in 1975. The Saints wore black pants with white jerseys from 1976-85. They used the white pants with black jerseys from 1975-85.

Thanks for the info. I knew the white/white combo didn't last long but didn't realize they wore the white pants w/black jerseys for 10 years. Didn't seem like that long somehow.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I knew the white/white combo didn't last long but didn't realize they wore the white pants w/black jerseys for 10 years. Didn't seem like that long somehow.

Yeah, it's hard to believe, considering they switched back to gold pants in 1986. Sometimes, I forget about those old black pants, and I only remember them because they wore them when I was a kid. I wish the current black pants mirrored the old black pants.

Yep, that's just the way the NFL Graphics were at the time. For comparison's sake, here's the NFC's graphics from 1970:

NFC1970.jpg

It's where I sit.

Archived