The Great NFL Fun Book II (1981)

Krona

I found an old book that I used to have out at the local St. Vinnies. Inside was the training ground for my uniform obsession 25 years later:

All 28 teams, if anybody wants them. They may make nice sigs:

NFL-Uniforms-1981.gif

and:

Lets see some concepts made with these puppies:

Football-Template-BW.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at those Bengals unis, man I wish they still had those. Those were the best set they've had.

1981? You didn't show the Seahawks, but thier set would be the gray facemasks and no Seahawks logo striping on the sleaves. Would love to see that page!

Great find! My obsession started with a book too, The College Names of the Game. A book with logos and the reason for the mascots of all the NCAA D-I teams.

CCSLC Signature.jpg

NFL-PHI-SD.gifNFL-SF-WASH.gif

The Bengals helmet is incorrect.

No.

That book was part of a NFL Fan Club package. Believe I still have the books and the other things that came with the club.

I'd always get mine from the Scholastic book club at school.

Were the Steelers sleeves really that long in '81?

That was the first thing I noticed, being that they're the only team with that cut. It could have been that they held out that long, with players just cutting the sleeves.

Don't forget that there was an NFL Fun Book 2!!! It had some great features including "25,000 yards passing club" and the "1,000 yards rushing club". At the time it was more of a big deal.

Anyway, I used those "templates" to draw many a (bad) uni or helmet design. It was the bomb- before there was the bomb.

The unis are fun, and I still kept that portion of the book. Always funny to me is the use of some of the models in there that must have weighed about 140 lbs. They didn't even look like kickers and made the unis look terrible.

I see the Colts, Packers, Bears, Raiders, Chiefs, Cowboys, and Redskins all still have unis tightly based on these designs-some adaptations due to equipment changes. (Redskins logo-will it ever change?) The Jets helmet looks pretty nice.

The quality control on this book really seems to be lacking. It says the Colts play in Baltimore. Come on!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The quality control on this book really seems to be lacking. It says the Colts play in Baltimore. Come on!!

...and the St.Louis Cardinals?? HELLO, THAT'S BASEBALL!! :P

I hope you two are joking. The Colts and Cardinals moved after the book came out.

I hope you two are joking. The Colts and Cardinals moved after the book came out.

Moved?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The #1 thing I love about the NFL is how many teams still have basically the same uniform as today as they did back then (some exactly the same, except for the most minor of details). No random color changes like we see in baseball, hockey and basketball.

Yes, I know the Bucs, Rams, etc. have changed a bit. But still, the essence is the same. That's more than can be said for teams like the Houston Astros, Buffalo Sabres, Cleveland Cavaliers (and many more) that have gone through several dramatic overhauls during the same time period.

Moved?

My God, they moved?? What's next, man lands on the MOON?? again :P

Archived