The Great NFL Fun Book II (1981)

Krona

As for the helmets, those are pretty old (60's) what with the 2-bar face mask, that's why there are a few inconsistencies. For example. the Saints is the original shade of gold and a few of the logos (Falcons, Lions, Vikings) are way bigger than normal.

Yep, that's just the way the NFL Graphics were at the time. For comparison's sake, here's the NFC's graphics from 1970:

NFC1970.jpg

i wanna see the AFC set

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The away set (or the white jersey set) only used the white pants in 1975. The Saints wore black pants with white jerseys from 1976-85. They used the white pants with black jerseys from 1975-85.

Thanks for the info. I knew the white/white combo didn't last long but didn't realize they wore the white pants w/black jerseys for 10 years. Didn't seem like that long somehow.

Yeah, it's hard to believe, considering they switched back to gold pants in 1986. Sometimes, I forget about those old black pants, and I only remember them because they wore them when I was a kid. I wish the current black pants mirrored the old black pants.

That would be cool, especially if they could finally manage to match the golds. Look at the sock stripes as compared to the pants stripe as compared to the helmet. Good grief. :blink:

AABF025~Archie-Manning-Photofile-Posters.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I also had The Great NFL Fun Book II but I cut all of the helmets out of it because I used to tape or glue them to my electric football fields, I also hacked up a bunch of Steelers, Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Maulers programs for the same reason.

The away set (or the white jersey set) only used the white pants in 1975. The Saints wore black pants with white jerseys from 1976-85. They used the white pants with black jerseys from 1975-85.

Thanks for the info. I knew the white/white combo didn't last long but didn't realize they wore the white pants w/black jerseys for 10 years. Didn't seem like that long somehow.

Yeah, it's hard to believe, considering they switched back to gold pants in 1986. Sometimes, I forget about those old black pants, and I only remember them because they wore them when I was a kid. I wish the current black pants mirrored the old black pants.

That would be cool, especially if they could finally manage to match the golds. Look at the sock stripes as compared to the pants stripe as compared to the helmet. Good grief. :blink:

AABF025~Archie-Manning-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Matching the golds would be nice. While I do like the stripes on the pants, you're right, the sock/stripe/helmet inconsistencies are a mess.

i wanna see the AFC set

Well, I only have some 1973 NFL Programs sitting in my desk at work, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, I give you these two beauties from the programs that I do have:

Rawlings_ad.jpg

IHOP_ad.jpg

It's where I sit.

Oh jesus! I loved that book when I was a wee one. I remember the cover had cariactures of all NFL mascots running around.

Didn't it also have something about stretching for the punt, pass and kick and stuff like that in it? I think I objected to one kid being barefoot, and a girl wearing a Saints jersey as a dress.

i wanna see the AFC set

Well, I only have some 1973 NFL Programs sitting in my desk at work, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, I give you these two beauties from the programs that I do have:

Rawlings_ad.jpg

IHOP_ad.jpg

WOW! Two great finds from PRO!

Can't see the Giants or Browns stripes, and they put them all in white pants. Was that an ad for Riddell or something?

WOW! Two great finds from PRO!

Can't see the Giants or Browns stripes, and they put them all in white pants. Was that an ad for Riddell or something?

Rawlings - "cut the whole NFL down to size for you". "Rugged competition helmets and shoulder pads" "Rawlings makes NFL uniforms for younger boys, too. They're not for competition, but they make terrific gift sets."

It's where I sit.

Wowwwwwwww. This makes me wish I was actually alive to care about the NFL in 1981, because the league was SHARP.

I mean, it's still sharp this year...but damn the 80s were sharp.

Oh jesus! I loved that book when I was a wee one. I remember the cover had cariactures of all NFL mascots running around.

Didn't it also have something about stretching for the punt, pass and kick and stuff like that in it? I think I objected to one kid being barefoot, and a girl wearing a Saints jersey as a dress.

Wow, you are really jogging my memory now. Yeah, it had some stretching exercises in the book and I think I had the same objections about the barefoot kid. :D

I also remember on the back of each uniform/helmet card was a brief franchise history. I absolutely memorized each of those.

Did any of you do the quiz on the front to name all the mascots. I remember getting that book as a member of the NFL Superpro Club, and you got a really cool standings board with it, which had a playoff bracket on it.

Yep, that's it. I was part of the Superpro club. You could pick your favorite team and you'd get a sheet of helmet stickers of your team, along with the standings board (with vinyl helmet logos you could move around). I remember that a Buffalo Bills logo wasn't included with my standings board and I wrote in to request one. They sent me a sheet of their helmet stickers instead! So I wrote back one more time and they sent me ANOTHER helmet sticker sheet! :mad:

I used to have that book. You're right, there was an NFL Club I was a member of. I think there was also a playoff poster woth stickers where you could keep track of the playoffs. Nice find.

I only told you guy this, oh, I'd say 2 pages ago! (bow)

(Someone else mentioned it on page 1 though)

Actually, glad to see someone else chimed in with the name of the club! I was going nuts Googling it!

Well, I only have some 1973 NFL Programs sitting in my desk at work, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Sweet,i can't wait

Sorry, the original owner of this must have been a Bills fan. Note the "Boston" Patriots! Also, the Chargers helmet is portrayed with collegiate blue outline of the bolt, which I thought was really black.

[nerd cap on]A couple of things always bugged me about these graphics:

1 - Why is the Broncos center stripe portrayed as blue, not reddish orange?

2 - Why can they put a dividing white stripe between the Dolphins aqua and orange, but not between the Patriots red and blue.

AFC1970.jpg

It's where I sit.

Archived