Cities with "City" in the name

BBTV

Is the "New York" in the names of the NY sports teams (Yankees, Mets, Knicks, etc.) a regional name? Or is the "official" name of New York City just "New York", and the city is added by people just to make a distinction?

I got thinking about this with all the talk of teams moving to Oklahoma City and Kansas City. Why aren't the Knicks the New York City Knicks?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The official name of New York City is the City of New York. That's why if you mail something to Manhattan it's New York, NY not New York City, NY. New York City is just what people call the city to distinguish it from the state.

As opposed to Oklahoma City and Kansas City, which are the official names of the cities.

Is the "New York" in the names of the NY sports teams (Yankees, Mets, Knicks, etc.) a regional name? Or is the "official" name of New York City just "New York", and the city is added by people just to make a distinction?

I got thinking about this with all the talk of teams moving to Oklahoma City and Kansas City. Why aren't the Knicks the New York City Knicks?

Well, I think that adding "city" to the NY and Oklahoma instances is too obvious. But not in the fact of Kansas City because it is in the State of Missouri, not in the State of Kansas.

Oklahoma City should drop the "City" out of the naming of every pro team based there. It's better making the full identification with the state and city.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Oklahoma City should drop the "City" out of the naming of every pro team based there. It's better making the full identification with the state and city.

The only pro team based in Oklahoma City is known as "New Orleans" ;)^_^

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, I think that adding "city" to the NY and Oklahoma instances is too obvious. But not in the fact of Kansas City because it is in the State of Missouri, not in the State of Kansas.

well technically we do...

Oklahoma Redhawks

Oklahoma City Blazers (only Oklahoma City because of the Tulsa Oilers of the same CHL league)

spacer.png

The official name of New York City is the City of New York. That's why if you mail something to Manhattan it's New York, NY not New York City, NY. New York City is just what people call the city to distinguish it from the state.

Good enough for me. Thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Many source named the Quebec Nordiques, the Quebec City Nordiques. The real name by my research is the Quebec Nordiques, which makes sense considering there is no place in the province of Quebec called Quebec City.

Isn't the rule that Anglophones call it Quebec City, Francophones just use Quebec?

Not to hijack the thread, but do you have any idea why Bronx, NY is known as "The Bronx"? Nobody ever says "you take the 4 train to Bronx"...

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Many source named the Quebec Nordiques, the Quebec City Nordiques. The real name by my research is the Quebec Nordiques, which makes sense considering there is no place in the province of Quebec called Quebec City.

Isn't the rule that Anglophones call it Quebec City, Francophones just use Quebec?

I think it's just understood that Anglophones call it Quebec City. But the official city name is Quebec, and since Quebec's (the province) only official language is French, there's only one name.

1zqy8ok.gif

I understand that, I just meant that Anglophones tend to call it "Quebec City" rather than just "Quebec," not because of any language rules, but just...because, I guess.

Archived