T-Shirt Idea...legal advice needed?

Cola

Okay so I have a pretty good idea...I live in a college town known for it's great drinking spots all around the city in 2 major sections of the city. I want to take about the most 50 popular bars in the city and find their logos whether on ads, coasters, the web, or digipics and vectorize them and put each one on a shot glass design all lined up on the shirt on back with "Bars of ________" on the front. Can I legally do this without permission of each bar? I plan to sell them on my CafePress store and advertise online popular sites students and the drinking crowd visit around here. I feel I can make a lot of money doing it and they will definitely sell.

There is already a shirt like it in our town but it only features about 10 bars on it with their logos on the back from a certain area of the town...so many good ones aren't on it. So if they did it, does that mean it's probably okay for me to do it? Let me know your opinions fast because I wanna start working on it ASAP.

Well, I'm not sure. It all depends on who's the manager, or even who owns the design. I would think that some(if not most/all) would expect some sort of compensation, but I honestly don't know much about that, since I have no experience myself.

You could try to go around from bar to bar and ask for their permission and go through the time it takes to work out each deal .

OR....

you could try to sell them the opportunity to be on the shirt. You might be able to get 50 sponsors pretty quickly with a cheap sposnor fee... and if so, they'll probably give you the correct vector logo.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

well that is the thing...i am not sure if most of these places even have their logos vectorized. i know whoever has done their sign and shirt work probably has to have it, but so many of these places are local and their logos aren't that difficult...some are obviously not vectorized and some are just script. i guess i was just trying to think of a way i could have done this without spending the time going to each and every bar- just kind of start designing. but i also don't want to get sued, lol.

hmm- oh well, it was a good thought while it lasted. i may send some e-mails out to see what some places think.

Make them the offer that you'll give them a vector version of their logo in return for permission to use their logo - but I have to say if you personally are going to be making money off of this project, then I don't think it's ethical of you to use their logos regardless of permission if they don't receive part of the profits. Afterall, eseentially, you're selling them - not really your own work. Using the bar logos is a cool idea and all, but I just don't know...like I already said, I don't think it's ethical for you to be making money off of their images. Maybe if you split profits with the bars in promoting them, then yeah, I'd be okay with it.

Also, if there's already a shirt like this in existence, then you're already treading dangerous ethical waters without the issue of the bars. My reccommendation is you approach the designer of the original shirt and promote your idea to them, and try to get some money from working with them. Really though, I think this whole things is full of problems, most of which are in your territory. If it were me, I would scrap this whole thing and try something else.

OD_Signature.jpg

Thanks for the input guys, it's taken into consideration- I certainly respect issues like that and don't want legal action against me...BUT ah ha- another idea entered my mind.

Instead of using the logos...what if I made a vector map of the city/town and put little dots or shot glasses where each bar was and the bar name beside it. Call it "Guide to Bars of Columbia". Would using the name still be unethical and iffy?

The concept of the "pub crawl" shirt is something I remember when I went to college (early 1990's) , but here's what I think:

Original concept: 50? That is a lot print to read on the back of a shirt. When I ran and used to get shirts, there are many sponsors you cannot really read since the print or logo is so small. Ex:If I was an establishment on the shirt with the 10-12 businesses, why would I want to be on with with five times the content, thus making mine smaller?

If you got permission, you would have to go with B/W, or one color because your costs to produce may escalate. Did you know how many dozen or gross you were going to produce?

Map concept: Since you have two "wet zones", this could be the better concept, but you will still have to get permission to use the logos. I think you still need to ask them if they would like to be on the shirt, as opposed to showing their location. If they are a franchise, definately make you you seek permission.

Downside to each is that you may face the wrath from the University and the Division of Campus Life, or Student Affairs' and their Alcohol and Drug Office. Someone who you sold a shirt to may give your name and you could be called in. Not that it could carry any real punishment as I don't know your school's Code of Conduct.

I'm not a student. The University would have no business in my business, besides, they make Absolut Vodka shirts with our mascot and logo on it already that are around campus plus plenty of others. I mean, we are COCKS.

The shirts are going to be done by CafePress, not a local screenprinter. I have no costs involved besides the designing the shirts...they take on all other associated costs for a premium and I get the mark up.

I was thinking 50 bars wouldn't be so bad...if it's only the names. I won't include addresses or anything crazy, but maybe you are right. 25 may be better but it'd be hard to hit all the good ones in all areas of town.

We have a pretty concentrated uptown area here (19 bars on the 4 block main street), and there are quite a few places that produce shirts and posters for the "Court Street Shuffle." I'm not positive, but I don't think they sell enough if these items to pay all of the bars, so your idea may have a shot.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As a :censored: myself, I'd say that if you're planning to target the USC student body on your shirt, concentrate on the bars in Five Points. Yes, the Vista has more than its fair share of places, but in general, the Five Points bars tend to be cheaper and more popular among students.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

are you still a student of USC? i have graduated but i know that later in school i shifted from 5 points to other parts of town like the vista and west cola-- just because of the crowd in each place is totally different and ya kinda grow out of 5 points after awhile...even though i still make my fair share of visits to a few bars and one in particular.

there are enough bars in 5 points alone to do the shirt though for sure.

Gee, I would have said sell the idea to the pubs, and get them to pay for going on the shirts.

Obviously they're getting advertising from it, and while you can't really command a huge fee for doing it, it should more than cover the cost of the artwork.

What your shirts are saying is that their pub is the chosen provider of alcohol & good times for the people you are representing.

Then, if you really want them on the map/t-shirt, offer it for nothing, on the condition they give you vector artwork.

PS This is what I do for work, except I give tens of thousands of maps to big hotels, then sell advertising to the businesses they recommend to their guests. Restaraunts, Book Shops, Cafes etc.

TJP Solutions

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

are you still a student of USC? i have graduated but i know that later in school i shifted from 5 points to other parts of town like the vista and west cola-- just because of the crowd in each place is totally different and ya kinda grow out of 5 points after awhile...even though i still make my fair share of visits to a few bars and one in particular.

there are enough bars in 5 points alone to do the shirt though for sure.

I'm a freshman this year, a week and a half into my second semester.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived