Islanders in throwbacks tonight

cmm

Does anyone know why the Islanders switched from these to 80's light blue? I get that the numbers might have been hard to read but why not just change those to white. THese uniforms are much more consistant to the white version than the darks of today and of the 80's are.

Does anyone know why the Islanders switched from these to 80's light blue? I get that the numbers might have been hard to read but why not just change those to white. THese uniforms are much more consistant to the white version than the darks of today and of the 80's are.

my best guess would be because since the fisherman and wave jerseys incorporated navy blue, it was the islanders was of fusing the catastrophe jerseys with the traditional. not to mention, it would make people buy a new navy jersey instead of just dusting off their old royal ones. i do know that no official company line on the matter was given at the time

sig2024.png

my best guess would be because since the fisherman and wave jerseys incorporated navy blue, it was the islanders was of fusing the catastrophe jerseys with the traditional. not to mention, it would make people buy a new navy jersey instead of just dusting off their old royal ones. i do know that no official company line on the matter was given at the time

I was talking about back in the 70's not when they switched from the fishticks.

I guess it was to distance themselves from the Oilers.

I guess it was to distance themselves from the Oilers.

The Isles wore royal blue up until the switch to the fishstix jersey. The only thing that changed was that the white and orange stripes switched positions as did the numbers becoming white on orange.

No. People need to stop with the LA of Anaheim jokes. Because that's a joke, and it's old.

So sayeth the St. Louis Fanatic of Wentzville and Champaign/Urbana. :P

It was neat to see the original Isles sweaters back in action again, if only for one night. I think the NHL is doing a pretty good job of trying to move forward with their "everyday" uniform concepts while throwing an occasional nod to their heritage. While I would love to see the full time return of many of the uniforms that I grew up with in the 70's, that's not good for the future of the game. The league must balance tradition with forward-looking styles. This is not to say all tradition should be abandoned, however the league isn't going to allow itself to get stuck in a rut and not move ahead with more contemporary concepts, especially for some of the newer franchises and markets. It's all about maintaining a good balance. We'll see how they do next season.

I don't get why so many teams are going back to the old jerseys like the sabres and canucks as well. (i like the sabres old one) but i still don't get why teams are doing it.

Because they look better.

The Buffaslug logo/uniforms suck. The classic look may be a bit bland, but in lieu of an updated version, the classic sweaters are much better then the regular Buffaslug look.

The Canucks' stick/rink logo is, again, bland (much more so then the classic Sabres look). Still, it sells well and is much better then the corporate sham of a logo they have now.

The Islanders were just brining their classic look back for one game, a 70's Night promotion. They aren't bringing it back as an alternate or as their full time uniforms.

Archived