Colts used to have grey in their uniform?

BBM

A picture on the front page of CBS Sportsline:

img9961399.jpg

The story was about Art Schlichter who the Colts drafted (I believe) in '82. But I didn't realize they had that grey stripe in between the blue ones. How long did this last? Was it on their blue jersey too?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the grey in the shoulder stripe. The grey pants are a bit much. Would go good with the grey facemask. i never understood why Indianapolis fans didn't push for a seperation from the traditional colt look to something unique to their region. I'm sure it's still stings in the hearts of Baltimore citizens

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

I'm sure it's still stings in the hearts of Baltimore citizens

You assume correctly, sir.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Side note: The Colts called this color "Silver", but in reality, it was a non-metallic, flat Gray.

I saw the Colts live playing in the Gray pants back in 1984 (at Dallas). I liked them; although it was a little weird to have Gray pants, and no Gray in the Blue jerseys.

i never understood why Indianapolis fans didn't push for a seperation from the traditional colt look to something unique to their region. I'm sure it's still stings in the hearts of Baltimore citizens

Can't go wrong with blue and white. It just looks classy.

i never understood why Los Angeles fans didn't push for a seperation from the traditional dodger look to something unique to their region. I'm sure it's still stings in the hearts of Brooklyn citizens

See what I did there?

img9961399.jpg

The story was about Art Schlichter who the Colts drafted (I believe) in '82. But I didn't realize they had that grey stripe in between the blue ones. How long did this last? Was it on their blue jersey too?

That is an amazingly beautiful jersey. I like it better than the current ones, somehow. Not sure about those grey pants on the blue jerseys though...

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

i never understood why Indianapolis fans didn't push for a seperation from the traditional colt look to something unique to their region. I'm sure it's still stings in the hearts of Baltimore citizens

Can't go wrong with blue and white. It just looks classy.

i never understood why Los Angeles fans didn't push for a seperation from the traditional dodger look to something unique to their region. I'm sure it's still stings in the hearts of Brooklyn citizens

See what I did there?

Understood

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

Their final 2 years in Baltimore they had the Grey in the white jersey and pants and whore Grey pants with the Blues.

Hey PANTONE... is "whore Grey" an official color?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

img9961399.jpg

That is an amazingly beautiful jersey. I like it better than the current ones, somehow. Not sure about those grey pants on the blue jerseys though...

I second that emotion. Restore the blue facemask and blue road pants (with a gray accent stripe between the white) and you have a perfect road kit. Add the gray trim to the numbers and you have a perfect home kit. Colts should never have done away with these.

I have a better one for you. Back in 1995 the Colts wore blue pants with their away uniforms for three games (which I thought they should have kept.)

They also wore that same year for one game at home, a pair of silver-blue pants with their home blue jerseys. It looked like they had raided the Dallas Cowboys' laundry and after outcry from fans, press, and even the players, they never wore them again.

I can find pictures of the road blue pants easy enough but I cannot find any pictures of the home silver-blue. I know it happened because I remember watching the game and I remember hearing the game commentators complain about it and hearing post-game stuff about it "back at the studio". I think they were playing Cincinnati.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I have a better one for you. Back in 1995 the Colts wore blue pants with their away uniforms for three games (which I thought they should have kept.)

They also wore that same year for one game at home, a pair of silver-blue pants with their home blue jerseys. It looked like they had raided the Dallas Cowboys' laundry and after outcry from fans, press, and even the players, they never wore them again.

I can find pictures of the road blue pants easy enough but I cannot find any pictures of the home silver-blue. I know it happened because I remember watching the game and I remember hearing the game commentators complain about it and hearing post-game stuff about it "back at the studio". I think they were playing Cincinnati.

I remember the Colts wearing the white jerseys/blue pants for their first home game against Cincinnati in 1995, to show the Indy fans their new unis. Apparently no one liked them, but I think they looked great. I say bring 'em back, along with the blue facemask.

That silver trim on the white jerseys would make perfect sense for the Colts now, since they went back to the grey facemasks.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I have - in my possession - a 1995 Colts' Style Guide sheet. With the Blue pants.

Never in my life have I seen or heard anything about Silver-Blue pants.

:blink:

here's one on the colts. according to a poster on footballresearch.com, the colts wore a RED jersey when playing detroit in the mid-50's.

they always played each other - both in baltimore and detroit - on saturday nights from 1953 thru 1955 and also on a saturday night in baltimore in 1956. they probably would have worn red for the 1953 games. the lions and colts switched to blue helmets for the night games, and both teams would have worn dark jerseys, to make the white football more visible. i have seen footage of either the 54 or 55 night game in baltimore (colts wearing the blue helmet with the white strips and two rear white horseshoes), and both they and the lions (in a plain blue helmet) were in darks with the white football in use. so more than likely, the colts would have had the red jerseys on in this game as well.

so i would surmise the colts wore red tops for at least the 1953 and 1954 games with the lions, and perhaps the 1955 games as well. i would GUESS by 1956 the colts wore white for the saturday night game in briggs stadium.

just thought i'd toss that morsel at you!

tb

Side note: The Colts called this color "Silver", but in reality, it was a non-metallic, flat Gray.

I saw the Colts live playing in the Gray pants back in 1984 (at Dallas). I liked them; although it was a little weird to have Gray pants, and no Gray in the Blue jerseys.

Well, the Giants have gray pants with no gray in the home jersey... though I suppose the gray facemask balances it a little bit.

Archived