Pre-Merge NFL teams will expand lead over old AFL teams

Luigi74

Of the teams that where in the NFL-AFL "war" the NFL has blown them out in Super Bowl wins, this does not include the Dolphins two Super Bowl wins because they started post-merge in 1966 even though they played four seasons in the AFL, along with Tampa Bay who started in 1976 and the Ravens who started in 1996.

NFL 26

AFL 10

If you want to go way back and include whatever leauge the Super Bowl winners started with it breaks down like this.

NFL 19

AFL 12

AAFC 5(all SF)

Pre-NFL formation 4(GB 3, CHI 1)

The Baltimore Colts are included with the NFL because the AAFC Colts played one season in the NFL then folded only for the city to get an expansion team and leftovers from the Dallas Texans three years later which they also named the Colts.

Of the teams that where in the NFL-AFL "war" the NFL has blown them out in Super Bowl wins, this does not include the Dolphins two Super Bowl wins because they started post-merge in 1966 even though they played four seasons in the AFL, along with Tampa Bay who started in 1976 and the Ravens who started in 1996.

NFL 26

AFL 10

If you want to go way back and include whatever leauge the Super Bowl winners started with it breaks down like this.

NFL 19

AFL 12

AAFC 5(all SF)

The Baltimore Colts are included with the NFL because the AAFC Colts played one season in the NFL then folded only for the city to get an expansion team and leftovers from the Dallas Texans three years later which they also named the Colts.

Considering how the old NFL had 14 teams to the old AFL's 8, statistically speaking its no surprise that the old NFL has such dominance. That and the old AFL was more small market teams, and the disparity shouldn't be surprising.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

NFL 26

AFL 10

NFL 19

AFL 12

AAFC 5(all SF)

That's odd, seeing as the NFL/AFL Merger happened in 1969/70, so 1966 is not 'post-merger' as you put it.

.... this does not include .... the Ravens who started in 1996.

If you remember correctly, the Ravens were the Cleveland Browns before the AFL was ever formed, so their Super Bowl victory should count under your rules.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

If you remember correctly, the Ravens were the Cleveland Browns before the AFL was ever formed, so their Super Bowl victory should count under your rules.

The Ravens are treated by the NFL as a new franchise that started in 1996, yes they are the old Browns but I'm going by the NFL's team lineage history. The full merge between the NFL and AFL didnt take place until 1970 but everything got rolling in 1966 with the Super Bowl and Pete Rozelle as commissioner of both leagues, common draft in 1967 and so on, the Dolphins didnt really have to battle for players like the other teams that started pre-1966 that is why I left them out of the first set of standings which is just teams that were in the "war" as the likes of Al Davis call it.

If you want to do it CORRECTLY...

Pre Merger Teams:

NFL (26)

Baltimore Colts (1)

Chicago Bears (1)

Dallas Cowboys (5)

Green Bay Packers (3)

New York Giants (2)

Pittsburgh Steelers (5)

St Louis Rams (1)

San Francisco 49ers (5)

Washington Redskins (3)

AFL (12)

Denver Broncos (2)

Kansas City Chiefs (1)

Miami Dolphins (2)

New England Patriots (3)

New York Jets (1)

Oakland (LA) Raiders (3)

So that's a difference of 14, which isn't too bad considering what rams80 stated already. Even though there are officially 10 teams that came from the AFL.

Considering how the old NFL had 14 teams to the old AFL's 8, statistically speaking its no surprise that the old NFL has such dominance. That and the old AFL was more small market teams, and the disparity shouldn't be surprising.

Then you have the post merge winners:

Baltimore Ravens (1)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1)

The Ravens history officially starts in 1996 as the Browns history is for both teams (pre-1996 and current).

There have been almost as many years pass since the AFL/NFL merger as there were before the AFL came into existence:

1920-1959 (40 years): NFL (for sake of my point I'm ignoring the early competitors)

1960-1969 (10 years): AFL, NFL

1970-2007 (37 years): NFL (merged)

Can we all PLEASE agree that the AFC/NFC thing is pretty much meaningless as a reflection of nearly 50 year old AFL vs. NFL sentiments? The players from that era are retired, the owners of the teams dead, the war long forgotten.

nav-logo.png

NFL 26

AFL 10

NFL 19

AFL 12

AAFC 5(all SF)

The old AFL gets killed because of the 1983 to 1997 time frame where the AFC didnt win a Super Bowl.

The Ravens are treated by the NFL as a new franchise that started in 1996, yes they are the old Browns but I'm going by the NFL's team lineage history. The full merge between the NFL and AFL didnt take place until 1970 but everything got rolling in 1966 with the Super Bowl and Pete Rozelle as commissioner of both leagues, common draft in 1967 and so on, the Dolphins didnt really have to battle for players like the other teams that started pre-1966 that is why I left them out of the first set of standings which is just teams that were in the "war" as the likes of Al Davis call it.

Uh, yeah. Whatever.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Rule number one when discussing football in any form: Never use Al Davis to support your argument.

Anyway, Nick is right. The NFL and AFL merged in 1970. The Miami Dolphins began play as an AFL expansion team in 1966. That means you have to count them for the AFL/AFC side.

And yet, we'll point out that with the Colts' win, it's now just 21-20 for the NFC over the AFC.

So how much money did you lose on that there 30 point spread buddy?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rule number one when discussing football in any form: Never use Al Davis to support your argument.

Anyway, Nick is right. The NFL and AFL merged in 1970. The Miami Dolphins began play as an AFL expansion team in 1966. That means you have to count them for the AFL/AFC side.

The Dolphins should be counted as you state, but the merger became effective in 1970. It was in fact agreed to in 1966.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Dolphins should be counted as you state, but the merger became effective in 1970. It was in fact agreed to in 1966.

All good points - I also agree on the Dolphins being an AFL team as the franchise was granted prior to the merger. I would also consider the Falcons (first season in 1966, meaning it had to be granted prior to the agreement) and the Saints (first season in 1967 but franchise also granted prior to the merger agreeement) as NFL teams. The only post-agreement but pre-merger expansion team was the AFL's Cincinnati Bengals.

Of course, all the other teams came after the merger was completed in 1970.

This has to be one of the most useless stats I've ever heard. It's like hearing that a certain pitcher has a 0.58 ERA when facing left-handed batters in night games in outdoor stadiums on the road after a rain delay - does it matter?

Considering that all teams have had complete roster and coaching turnover since the merger, and most have had ownership turnover, I'd have to go with no.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I know, but the merger didn't happen until 1970. It may have been agreed upon in '66, but from '66-'70 the two leagues were still separate entities, they just had a working relationship.

Here's how I count it:

pre merger AFL teams

Buffalo Bills (0/4)

Cincinnati Bengals (0/2)

Denver Broncos (2/6)

Kansas City Chiefs (Houston Texans) (1/2)

Miami Dolphins (2/5)

New England (Boston) Patriots (3/5)

New York Jets (Titans) (1/1)

Oakland (Los Angeles) Raiders (3/5)

San Diego (Los Angeles) Chargers (0/1)

Tennessee Titans (Houston/Tennessee Oilers) (0/1)

TOTAL: 12/32

pre merger NFL teams

Arizona (Chicago/St. Louis) Cardinals (0/0)

Atlanta Falcons (0/1)

Chicago Bears (1/2)

Cleveland Browns (0/0)

Dallas Cowboys (5/8)

Detroit Lions (0/0)

Green Bay Packers (3/4)

Indianapolis (Baltimore) Colts (2/2)

Minnesota Vikings (0/4)

New Orleans Saints (0/0)

New York Giants (2/3)

Philadelphia Eagles (0/2)

Pittsburgh Steelers (5/6)

San Francisco 49ers (5/5)

St. Louis (Cleveland/Los Angeles) Rams (1/3)

Washington (Boston) Redskins (Boston Braves) (3/5)

TOTAL: 27/45

Archived