beloit college

leggman01

i'm in a discussion with a moderator of another board, and he claims that beloit used their version of "bucco bruce" before the tb bucs...other than telling him it's highly unlikely that a cartoonist from the tampa tribune stole the beloit college logo in 1976 and passed if off on the tampa bay bucs and the nfl as original without a subsequent lawsuit from beloit (which i've already done), i have nothing...anyone know the history of the beloit college logo? when they started using the current logo, etc. - thanks

jldesigns404eo.png

Beloit has sports? Amazing.

i didn't say they were good :)

he threw this back at me

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2006/09/27/und.../#comment-10757

in case the link doesn't take you right to this post

#33 by Dan B-P on 09.27.06 11:28 am | Quote This Comment

At first I was surprised this story didn?t make the Florida article on logos, but then I remembered where the team involved was from?

In the mid-1990s, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were looking to crack down on unlicesned use of their creamsicle-era Buccaneer Bruce logo. They turned their attention to Beloit College, a Division III school in southern Wisconsin with an enrollment of 1300 (including my brother). Beloit?s teams go by the name Buccaneers as well, and their logo happens to look a lot like a mirrored version of Bucco Bruce. Tampa Bay was going to take legal action until it was discovered that Beloit College had been using the logo since well before 1976, the year the NFL expanded for the Bucs. Tampa Bay retracted its claim and slunk off to redesign their entire uniform, while Beloit?s teams still use this logo (on admittedly unpleasant unis) to this day.

Can?t find any real confirmation of this online (I doubt Tampa Bay would want to publicize it), but I heard it from a few sources growing up.

anyone know if this is accurate information?

jldesigns404eo.png

Beloit has sports? Amazing.

i didn't say they were good :)

he threw this back at me

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2006/09/27/und.../#comment-10757

in case the link doesn't take you right to this post

#33 by Dan B-P on 09.27.06 11:28 am | Quote This Comment

At first I was surprised this story didn?t make the Florida article on logos, but then I remembered where the team involved was from?

In the mid-1990s, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were looking to crack down on unlicesned use of their creamsicle-era Buccaneer Bruce logo. They turned their attention to Beloit College, a Division III school in southern Wisconsin with an enrollment of 1300 (including my brother). Beloit?s teams go by the name Buccaneers as well, and their logo happens to look a lot like a mirrored version of Bucco Bruce. Tampa Bay was going to take legal action until it was discovered that Beloit College had been using the logo since well before 1976, the year the NFL expanded for the Bucs. Tampa Bay retracted its claim and slunk off to redesign their entire uniform, while Beloit?s teams still use this logo (on admittedly unpleasant unis) to this day.

Can?t find any real confirmation of this online (I doubt Tampa Bay would want to publicize it), but I heard it from a few sources growing up.

anyone know if this is accurate information?

I've heard it told that way - but have no souce to confirm it. I'll dig around a little and see if I can find anything.

It's where I sit.

found this article, which seems to support the fact that the beloit story may be something of an urban myth - with the way the media works, it seems that by 2002, when this article was written, the artist would be villified for stealing a tiny d3 school's athletic logo and passing it off as his original work to the profit of a professional football franchise...instead, this work is passed as his "claim to fame"

i highly doubt this story has any truth, but the person making this claim says he saw photos of beloit's athletic teams sporting this logo which were pre-1975

jldesigns404eo.png

well, i found this whole thing pretty interesting, which means my brain started getting distracted from the work it SHOULD have been doing. I don't mean to hijack that this thread with this idea, I just thought you all might be interested in this.

So, I started thinking about Bucco Bruce, and trying to do the unthinkable .. and try and make Bucco work well for a legitimate look (sorry to the creamsicle fans, but that Bucco looks like the kind of guy you don't want to be left alone with in the bar at the end of the night, and not for the reason he SHOULD look that way). So first I basically updated the colors to what they currently have:

id_01a.jpg

id_01b.jpg

Then I started really thinking about how amazingly overdetailed this thing is. So much so, that to even call this a 'logo' in the modern day is stretching the definition. Its a well executed illustration, but not very succesful as a logo. It was at this point that me and my brain had a little conversation ... I tried letting him know that I would appreciate his cooperation doing the work that I should be doing, rather than getting off track and doing this thing. My brain didn't want to hear me out, I don't think he respects me too much. So anyways ... what I tried to do is a basic update on this thing to see if I could make it work ... in the current design world.

id_01c.jpg

I thought then about how, even if I was to make this thing work well as a logo, its not going to be anything better than what they have. The skull and bones flag, and the ship both are fantastic and much more menacing than this guy would ever be (he's always appeared to be the angel to Raiders devil ... looking like his creampuff rival.

I then thought about how well this would work for the Beloit Buccaneers with their color scheme, and the fact that they can actually benefit from this. So, heres this:

id_01e.jpg

My brain then had an interesting idea for the uniform design ... I tried very hard to reason with it, but I'm really not much good at anything without him ... so this came out of it:

uni_01a.jpg

uni_01b.jpg

uni_01c.jpg

uni_01d.jpg

I went for a one sided feather sticker (this mimics the idea of the Rams, Vikings and others, combined with the uniqueness of the Steelers). The uni itself I wanted something simple and classic to allude to the English Colonial Era, when the golden age of piracy was. Let me know what you all think ... love the feedback.

I'm reminded of the brilliant Paul Rand stating that logos have to be simple enough for a child to be able to draw with a finger on a beach’s sand. This is especially true of sports logos because so many fans will be constantly reproduce them with unskilled hands (fan signs, face paintings, something to doodle, etc). This is why I believe the Houston Texans are the most succesful recent branding job.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler” ... Einstein was speaking in a great generality, but it is unbelievably well suited for a philosophy to follow in branding. One that every great logo in history has followed.

Wow, those are nice designs. I love the new bucco logo with current TB colors - a possible ALT jersey & helmet in the future for TB Buc fans???

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

• LMU locked this topic

Archived