Another Lion Logo

-(dp)-

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually liked that mane the best also, Tempest. How would you suggest to add more black? I just can't figure out where.

If I can chime in here...

I agree with Tempest on which is the best. However, even though it is the best, I cannot see where the "light" would be coming from. I would pick a light source, and from that, determine the shadow areas of your picture. That would be where you could put the additional black Tempest suggests. It isn't easy, though, and I struggle with it myself. The person here who does it best IMO is "Phil" (formerly SyPhi). I honestly don't know how he does it.

I think I would probably ditch the light source. Use shadows instead of highights. Basically, get rid of the white, except for the muzzle fur (I think that's all right), and the additional black will come from the addition of shadows in the face and mane. See, you have too much flat gray and flat blue here. More black will balance that out and add some drama and depth to the image.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

See logos like DePaul, Boise State, BYU, Loyola Marymount for good execution of the highlight and shadow technique. One way to think about it is this: Consider the mane black, except where the light hits it. That's where it's blue. Same with the face. It's black, but gray where the light hits it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

See logos like DePaul, Boise State, BYU, Loyola Marymount for good execution of the highlight and shadow technique. One way to think about it is this: Consider the mane black, except where the light hits it. That's where it's blue. Same with the face. It's black, but gray where the light hits it.

Think Memphis Grizzlies.

I would say we could add the Vancouver Grizzlies logo to that as well...

LT

Whoops, check that...I meant the Memphis Grizzlies. Its been a long day already, lol.

Pistons, I swear your work is getting better day by day! This is far and away my favorite work of yours. I think the way you have brought this concept along is awesome. My only critics are:

(1) The top of the lion is almost flawless, however, the bottom part (the mouth and chin to more specific) seem to get lost in the black....

(2) I think there needs to be more of a black outline on the forehead of the mane. It seems out of place with the rest of the logo because the outline thickness doesn't match up with any other part of the logo.

(3) Lastly, for some reason, the crown seems to have some funky shadowing. I don't see how the line going horizontally across the base fits in with the vertical crown.

All together, this concept has A TON of promise, you just need to work on the finer details.

Oh! BTW, did you get the PM I sent you? Thanks a ton!

GFB

Well, I tried what you guys said, but I think I failed miserably. I am having trouble with which parts to have in shadow, while keeping it easy to identify as a lion. Let me know what I can do to make it better.

Lionlogoblk.png

I disagree. I don't think you nailed it, but I think it's a ton better. I think you can put a little sliver of white on the front of the chin, and I think you can connect the eye area with the cheek area. I love the sweeping curves present in the top of the mane. I'm not as crazy about the irregular blue shape behind the ear. Work on it. It's coming. That's a great eye.

Well, I tried what you guys said, but I think I failed miserably. I am having trouble with which parts to have in shadow, while keeping it easy to identify as a lion. Let me know what I can do to make it better.

Lionlogoblk.png

Holy sh :censored:t!

I completely disagree. This is by far the best lion you've made.

You really nailed the shadow! Good job!

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

here are some updates. I think it looks a little better, but still needs some work.

lionheadblk2.png

I think those slight variations make a big difference. The white near the jaw I like and removing the blue from the ear looks good. I really love the work you do. Fantastic stuff and gets better with every new thing.

I think at the top of the white spot on the chin, you should expand it out more to give more hint of a mouth.

This type of stylization was what I was talking about in my C&C of your Tiburons logo.

Archived