Blue Ice

-Helix-

The Kalamazoo Wings (UHL) have green ice (and uniforms) for one game every year on or around St. Patrick's Day.

3-17%20077.jpg

I'm sorry, but that's the greatest thing ever. The ice and jerseys are actually kind of ugly, but the idea is brilliant.

what other colors could they do?

Red and blue are out.

what about a purple? maybe even black.

Black ice could be cool for a one game promotion. Though not with a black puck, maybe white.

what other colors could they do?

Red and blue are out.

what about a purple? maybe even black.

Black ice could be cool for a one game promotion. Though not with a black puck, maybe white.

you know i didnt even think about the color of the puck. i was just thinking abou th ice and what would or would not work.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

The Kalamazoo Wings (UHL) have green ice (and uniforms) for one game every year on or around St. Patrick's Day.

3-17%20077.jpg

They used to, I don't know if they still do, have pink ice for St. Valentine's day.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Everyone knows its not the actual ice that is colored right?

Actually, it is--or, at least, one layer of it is. Just not the top layer.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Everyone knows its not the actual ice that is colored right?

Right. It's layer of ice => layer of paint => layer of ice.

I got to paint the ice once for a minor league team. That was fun. I messed up on purpose so everytime I skated on the ice I could point it out and be like "Yeah, I did that."

I think the Fort Wayne Komets had Orange ice once didn't they? Or maybe I'm thinking of another team.

Right. It's layer of ice => layer of paint => layer of ice.

I got to paint the ice once for a minor league team. That was fun. I messed up on purpose so everytime I skated on the ice I could point it out and be like "Yeah, I did that."

Cool to see someone else here that knows the process B) That last layer of ice takes about 3 days to "make" and then 4 days to set. After that the zamboni keeps it up and looking nice.

Last year we had to do this process "twice" First to get it installed for Admirals season, then to "instal" a "fresh" layer for the NCAA Frozen Four. What we did was shave down to a safe level to not upset the Admirals ice set up. Then the process of ice/paint-the white stuff was sprayed over the existing ice. Then the NCAA logos and lines were painted on. After that the remainder of the ice was formed.

When it was over, the college stuff was shaved into the past, and it was time for Admirals hockey again.

Gets me to thinking (blue ice and Admirals colors)....

Maybe we could add a blue tint or hue to the ice next year to give it a "bone" chilling water like effect????

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived