NFL re-alignment

IceCap

Would've made a lot of sense.

Still waiting for my explanation....

Also to the above poster....IIRC one of the deals in the merger was that the East Divisions had to be the 5 team ones at first.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Readin this thread got me thinking about how the divisions were setup for the 1970 merger. I think the following would have been the optimal arrangement given three divisions in each confrence, and which teams were slated to be in which confrence:

AFC

East

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

New England Patriots

Central

Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore Colts

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

West

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

Denver Broncos

Houston Oilers

San Diego Chargers

NFC

East

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons

Central

Chicago Bears

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Minnesota Vikings

St. Louis Cardinals

West

Dallas Cowboys

San Fransico 49ers

New Orleans Saints

Los Angeles Rams

(for expansion in 1976 add Seattle Seahawks to the NFC West, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the AFC East)

Would've made a lot of sense.

The 1970 AFC set-up was pretty much perfect and everyone came out happy, Baltimore in the East was the right move since they had a rivalry with the Jets via SBIII and the Dolphins because of the way Shula left along with being on the east coast. The NFC was a mess because of politics which is why they ended up picking one out of a hat and I think the above NFC set-up was in the hat.

AFC (Western)

Midwest

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Minnesota Vikings

St.Louis Rams

Southwest

Arizona Cardinals

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Indianapolis Colts

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

NFC (Eastern)

Mideast

New York Giants

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Southeast

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Northeast

Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

Atlantic

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Redskins

These are my alignment ideas. Most rivalries are still kept :winner::winner::winner: I hope yall are happy with them.

Swap the Teams from Ohio and the 2 "New Jersey" teams and its 100% perfect re-alignment

Okay maybe Minnesota and Denver have nothing to do with St.Louis but Seattle didn't when they were thrown into the NFC West. Someone mentioned the Cardinals used to play in St.Louis. Okay. But what about them playing in Chicago. For that fact why aren't the Cardinals in the NFC North? Many of these "rivalries" weren't rivalries then and some have lost their luster now. If everything is made a preserving rivalries, who might end doing weird things like putting the Cowboys and Cardinals in the east division and the Falcons and Panthers in the west that actually has teams flying all over the place when you could've group them together in a way that they are close. If I'm the Giants I would rather be paired with the Jets so I don't have to travel so much instead of being paired with the Cowboys because of history. <_< Please. Some of these players weren't even alive yet when the "rivalries" were started and the players move around from team to team (free agency) so often, they aren't around to see the same guys over and over again to really develop real rivalries.

So are you happy Rams80, you finally got your answer!

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Okay maybe Minnesota and Denver have nothing to do with St.Louis but Seattle didn't when they were thrown into the NFC West.

The NFC West as currently constituted could be described as the NFL's "orphan" division following the realignment. I was willing to accept the Seahags as Divisional Rivals because there were not many other places where they could go. That they were willing to become a good team and intense rivals quickly with the Rams made it all the better. (I do have some residual hatred for Atlanta, New Orleans, and Carolina from the old "West" as well)

Someone mentioned the Cardinals used to play in St.Louis. Okay. But what about them playing in Chicago. For that fact why aren't the Cardinals in the NFC North?

Because no one in Chi-town gives a :censored: about the Cardinals nowadays (but at least the Cardinals know what the Bears are). That and "Dollar Bill" hates travel costs.

Many of these "rivalries" weren't rivalries then and some have lost their luster now. If everything is made a preserving rivalries, who might end doing weird things like putting the Cowboys and Cardinals in the east division and the Falcons and Panthers in the west that actually has teams flying all over the place when you could've group them together in a way that they are close.

It's for the fans. Let me repeat....IT'S FOR THE FANS. The fans don't give a flying :censored: about geography...they care about beating the same team year in and year out because...well, I'm sure you have reasons much like I have mine. (And again in your analogy, "Dollar Bill" actually misses the Cowboys-those were his best drawing games). :P

If I'm the Giants I would rather be paired with the Jets so I don't have to travel so much instead of being paired with the Cowboys because of history. <_< Please.

The fans would burn the Meadowlands to the ground if that happened. Pure and simple. (Let's not get into the whole "giving the New York teams an extra home game" problem.

Some of these players weren't even alive yet when the "rivalries" were started and the players move around from team to team (free agency) so often, they aren't around to see the same guys over and over again to really develop real rivalries.

You'd be surprised how quickly fans can indoctrinate players on who not to like anymore. (Besides, that's what the older players are for-back in '99 Ike and the other Rams who'd been on the team for awhile had the new guys wanting to utterly destroy San Fran.)

My final point is that it's not healthy for constant realignment because at the rate we're going I'm gonna hate everyone else in the league. That's not fun.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Okay maybe Minnesota and Denver have nothing to do with St.Louis but Seattle didn't when they were thrown into the NFC West.

The NFC West as currently constituted could be described as the NFL's "orphan" division following the realignment. I was willing to accept the Seahags as Divisional Rivals because there were not many other places where they could go. That they were willing to become a good team and intense rivals quickly with the Rams made it all the better. (I do have some residual hatred for Atlanta, New Orleans, and Carolina from the old "West" as well)

Someone mentioned the Cardinals used to play in St.Louis. Okay. But what about them playing in Chicago. For that fact why aren't the Cardinals in the NFC North?

Because no one in Chi-town gives a :censored: about the Cardinals nowadays (but at least the Cardinals know what the Bears are). That and "Dollar Bill" hates travel costs.

Many of these "rivalries" weren't rivalries then and some have lost their luster now. If everything is made a preserving rivalries, who might end doing weird things like putting the Cowboys and Cardinals in the east division and the Falcons and Panthers in the west that actually has teams flying all over the place when you could've group them together in a way that they are close.

It's for the fans. Let me repeat....IT'S FOR THE FANS. The fans don't give a flying :censored: about geography...they care about beating the same team year in and year out because...well, I'm sure you have reasons much like I have mine. (And again in your analogy, "Dollar Bill" actually misses the Cowboys-those were his best drawing games). :P

If I'm the Giants I would rather be paired with the Jets so I don't have to travel so much instead of being paired with the Cowboys because of history. Please.

The fans would burn the Meadowlands to the ground if that happened. Pure and simple. (Let's not get into the whole "giving the New York teams an extra home game" problem.

Some of these players weren't even alive yet when the "rivalries" were started and the players move around from team to team (free agency) so often, they aren't around to see the same guys over and over again to really develop real rivalries.

You'd be surprised how quickly fans can indoctrinate players on who not to like anymore. (Besides, that's what the older players are for-back in '99 Ike and the other Rams who'd been on the team for awhile had the new guys wanting to utterly destroy San Fran.)

My final point is that it's not healthy for constant realignment because at the rate we're going I'm gonna hate everyone else in the league. That's not fun.

Okay, I respect your reasoning. It makes enough sense. I wouldn't be able to hate the Broncos, Chargers, or Raiders if divisions were changed. GO CHIEFS!

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived