Looking for corrections

CC97

Also I think that they've started using the footprint as the primary logo.

I hate you sooooooo much right now

Clearly, "Blue Jays" was an alternate team nickname, never intended to actually replace "Phillies."

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits...amp;Entryid=708

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits...amp;Entryid=724

Why is that "clearly" the case? Why would the official MLB Encyclopedia list it as such? I need more proof.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obviously wasn't around back then, and really can't provide more proof. All I can go by is the baseball history books I read in the library when I was in grade school in the 80s, the team's website, and the references that have already been provided. I understand wanting to use the MLBE as the official source, and honestly can't give you a good argument why you shouldn't, though my feeling is that it isn't accurate in this case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll do some searches through the sporting news archives (which has already proven my "Boston Pilgrims" idea wrong) and post the results

Alright, I lose!

Fight, Color and Noise - Not Phils, but Blue Jays

Stan Baumgartner, The Sporting News - March 9, 1944

Woman wins bond and pass in fans' contest; 634 names suggested

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- The Phillies have acquired a new emblem -- Blue Jay -- and the winning fan, who received a $100 war bond and a season pass for the best letter that accompanied the suggestion, is Mrs. John L. Crooks, a demure little woman, who, with her husband, is caretaker at the Odd Fellows Grand Lodge at 1516 North Sixteenth Street, Philadelphia.

Six other fans, Thomas Halloway, Robert Treat, Richard Ludwig, Burt Reynolds, C.H. Horner, and C.K. Decker were awarded seasons passes.

To win the final award, Mrs. Crooks suggested Blue Jay, "because the Blue Jay will reflect a new team spirit. The blue jay is colorful in personality and plumage. His fighting, aggressive spirit never admits defeat. He defends his home grounds fiercely and in his flights afar his constancy of purpose never wavers."

The adoption of the Blue Jay as an insignia does not mean that 'Phillies' will be discarded. It is merely an additional nickname.

Bob Carpenter, president of the club, expressed satisfaction with the new nickname.

---

Chris Creamer

I'll do some searches through the sporting news archives (which has already proven my "Boston Pilgrims" idea wrong) and post the results

Alright, I lose!

Fight, Color and Noise - Not Phils, but Blue Jays

Stan Baumgartner, The Sporting News - March 9, 1944

Woman wins bond and pass in fans' contest; 634 names suggested

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- The Phillies have acquired a new emblem -- Blue Jay -- and the winning fan, who received a $100 war bond and a season pass for the best letter that accompanied the suggestion, is Mrs. John L. Crooks, a demure little woman, who, with her husband, is caretaker at the Odd Fellows Grand Lodge at 1516 North Sixteenth Street, Philadelphia.

Six other fans, Thomas Halloway, Robert Treat, Richard Ludwig, Burt Reynolds, C.H. Horner, and C.K. Decker were awarded seasons passes.

To win the final award, Mrs. Crooks suggested Blue Jay, "because the Blue Jay will reflect a new team spirit. The blue jay is colorful in personality and plumage. His fighting, aggressive spirit never admits defeat. He defends his home grounds fiercely and in his flights afar his constancy of purpose never wavers."

The adoption of the Blue Jay as an insignia does not mean that 'Phillies' will be discarded. It is merely an additional nickname.

Bob Carpenter, president of the club, expressed satisfaction with the new nickname.

You may have been proved wrong, but it was worth it. Look at that Burt Reynolds shout out. Sexy sexy.

Why is that "clearly" the case? Why would the official MLB Encyclopedia list it as such? I need more proof.

Well, I hate to pile on an argument that I've already won, but the fact that they never bothered to take "Phillies" off the front of the uniforms always seemed pretty compelling evidence to me that they weren't discarding the nickname. :P

Well, I hate to pile on an argument that I've already won, but the fact that they never bothered to take "Phillies" off the front of the uniforms always seemed pretty compelling evidence to me that they weren't discarding the nickname. :P

Yeah but teams were really weird back then with that sorta thing!

---

Chris Creamer

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=37e4zx7zjl6h3fs70ekh

The Phillies BP jerseys have an all blue side panel, no gray, I know its probably how it was gonna be originally, but alas now its all blue

It's their home batting practice uni too.

Yea I know, their away bp jersey is blue with red side panels.

Thank god that gray part is gone, as thats not a phollies color and wouldve been stupid.

lets just hope that the blue jays never adopt the nickename, "phillies"

lol... I'm thinking about how history would be different if the Phillies had officially adopted the Blue Jays moniker. The change in attitude would undoubtedly have resulted in several world championships.

What would Toronto's nickname have been if Blue Jays was taken?

Thanks for making the change, CC.

Yeah but teams were really weird back then with that sorta thing!

Yeah.. the Giants never officially changed their name to World's Champions!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

-You probably havn't had time to update it yet, but some of the MLB teams still have the old BP jerseys listed as present.

-The Jamestown Jammers of the NYPL still has their old logo there and it is listed at present. I don't have thier new one but here is their website.

saBS.png

For the Raptors you still have the jerseys with the purple on them listed as the home and away, and you have the red jersey listed as an alt. Also I think that they've started using the footprint as the primary logo.

Their 06-07 style guide says that the footprint is the secondary. In the case of the Suns, they refuse to accept their designated primary. So they use the secondary as a primary whenever possible. So I guess it's possible that Toronto is doing the same, but it's a pretty weak logo to be used as the primary.

DucksCupSig.png

ChargersSig4.gif

The font on the Leafs '67 Cup logo (Canadian flag leaf) is wrong. Check out the Leafs' own site to see the correct version. Thank you for your most kind attention to this matter. But after all, it involves the Leafs! Totally unacceptable!

The font on the Leafs '67 Cup logo (Canadian flag leaf) is wrong. Check out the Leafs' own site to see the correct version. Thank you for your most kind attention to this matter. But after all, it involves the Leafs! Totally unacceptable!

As is winning.

A lot of the old NHL logo problems are from their own 'vinatge' line of logos, they reproduced them incorrectly -- i'm trying to go back and fix their errors.

---

Chris Creamer

MLB does that as well - really bothers me.

Most of the logos in their "Cooperstown Collection" were never used by the teams, but were created recently in the retro style.

Then there's their enshrining of the variant Dodgers "B", where they take a version worn once, for one year, and ignore the proper B worn for decades....

Archived