Phony retro logos

Gothamite

I've been thinking a lot about the phony retro logos sold as part of the Cooperstown Collection. For some reason, these seem to be popping up more and more lately.

For example, I'm seeing this 1975 All-Star Game logo around a lot:

5728_1_b.JPG

Completely made up. The actual '75 Midsummer Classic logo was this:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=2929

Let's look at the authenticity of this cap, festooned with "throwback" logos:

brewersalllogohat1.jpg

Okay, that's good. The first road wordmark.

brewersalllogohat4.jpg

Those two logos are good - 1969-1977 and 1978-1993, respectively. Then things start to get a little off.

brewersalllogohat2.jpg

Half of these logos were never used by the team. Nearest I can figure, they were created by MLB as part of the Cooperstown Collection in the late 1990s. I really love the little County Stadium logo, and the crossed-bats-behind-beer-barrel, but those are bogus. The second BBM logo is unusual - that's the Turn Ahead the Clock cap logo, recolored!

This really bothers me with the Brooklyn Dodgers. This version of the cap logo has been enshrined as the "official" throwback logo:

BRD3957.jpg

It can be seen on all manner of throwback merchandise. The only problem is that it's a variation of the classic "B" that was only worn for a brief period. The traditional "B" looks like this game-worn cap.

but because MLB Properties picked the uncommon version, that rarer one is now enshrined as the "official" logo of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Am I the only one bothered by these? Am I the only stickler for authenticity?

I've been thinking a lot about the phony retro logos sold as part of the Cooperstown Collection. For some reason, these seem to be popping up more and more lately.

For example, I'm seeing this 1975 All-Star Game logo around a lot:

5728_1_b.JPG

Completely made up. The actual '75 Midsummer Classic logo was this:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=2929

Let's look at the authenticity of this cap, festooned with "throwback" logos:

brewersalllogohat1.jpg

Okay, that's good. The first road wordmark.

brewersalllogohat4.jpg

Those two logos are good - 1969-1977 and 1978-1993, respectively. Then things start to get a little off.

brewersalllogohat2.jpg

Half of these logos were never used by the team. Nearest I can figure, they were created by MLB as part of the Cooperstown Collection in the late 1990s. I really love the little County Stadium logo, and the crossed-bats-behind-beer-barrel, but those are bogus. The second BBM logo is unusual - that's the Turn Ahead the Clock cap logo, recolored!

This really bothers me with the Brooklyn Dodgers. This version of the cap logo has been enshrined as the "official" throwback logo:

BRD3957.jpg

It can be seen on all manner of throwback merchandise. The only problem is that it's a variation of the classic "B" that was only worn for a brief period. The traditional "B" looks like this game-worn cap.

but because MLB Properties picked the uncommon version, that rarer one is now enshrined as the "official" logo of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Am I the only one bothered by these? Am I the only stickler for authenticity?

MLB sells unauthentic, bastardized merchandise? Shocking!

My sarcasm in the first sentence isn't directed at you, so please don't take it that way. Yes, this bothers me, as does most of what MLB does these days. I just mutter to myself and shake my head at some of the inaccurate (or downright tacky) merchandise MLB sells these days.

It is bothersome (especially the Brooklyn B, which I actually have a Brooklyn cap, and found out later it's not the right B). I think it's just laziness on MLB's part. If I'm not mistaken, the B they uss is the same one Boston uses.

I have never seen them except in conjuntion with the Cooperstown Collection merchandise.

They are in many cases very modern in feel - a modern perspective on the period, as opposed to graphics you'd actually find from the period.

Don't get me wrong - I love some of them. This is one of my favorite Brewers caps, and in heavy rotation as the season gears up:

KEGBREWERS.jpg

If they made a cap with that County Stadium logo, I'd wear it too. But I'm still a stickler for historical accuracy.

I have never seen them except in conjuntion with the Cooperstown Collection merchandise.

They are in many cases very modern in feel - a modern perspective on the period, as opposed to graphics you'd actually find from the period.

Don't get me wrong - I love some of them. This is one of my favorite Brewers caps, and in heavy rotation as the season gears up:

KEGBREWERS.jpg

That logo rules.

If the Brewers must change their uniforms I would hope they would use this as their primary over the ball-in-glove. It would give the team a retro feel while not reverting back to a previous (and, IMO, inferior) logo.

Any idea where the two bogus logos came from? They're both pretty cool--are they old prototypes or something?

Back when the MLB Style Guide was open to the public (of for the days!), there was a section called cooperstown, which had a lot of recreated historical logos. So I'm guessing someone in MLB marketing created them.

Everyone loves a roundel.

there was a section called cooperstown, which had a lot of recreated historical logos.

You mean this site? ;)

Yep, that's the one.

Many , if not most, of the logos there are modern designs.

I know this is probably one of those modern designs, but this one amazing Twins logo.

mlbcooplogosMT.png

I've had the exact same complaint about the Dodgers B. It doesn't come close to the real "Tiffany" B that you think of when you think of the "Brooklyn Dodgers." The curves are all wrong all the way around both lobes of the B.

As to the Brewers cap, I think it's just a question of density: If you want to fill up the cap like that, you're going to have to fake it. Just aren't enough real old logos to go around.

But I love that they used the TATC logo. I would love to have a real Brewers TATC cap in size 7-1/2. Best. Mascot cap. Ever. Best thing to come out of TATC, too. I would think that it would be a good-selling cap in Milwaukee today. Maybe get a line of caps going in that style with the Racing Sausages, too. (Or maybe I'm projecting here: My ultimate alt-uniform dream is for the Nats to have alt mascot caps with cartoon George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and Teddy Roosevelt in baseball poses like the Lake County Captains cap logo. Not fashion caps for fans, but actual game alt caps. And not all four together, but four different caps, with one president each, two in red and two in blue.)

20082614447.png

American Needle is crapola.

I have some American Needle throwbacks that fit better than the New Era ones. But if you want to get completely accurate, they'd have a high crown (Astros orange, 1982-era Sox, same era Brewers, etc). But in my case, I'd look like Elmer Fudd.

But if the color schemes and logos weren't accurate, I wouldn't get them.

brewersalllogohat4.jpg

I think most of the people frequenting this site are indeed sticklers for authenticity, as am I. However, I can't imagine anyone with the taste to buy a hat this fugly could be sticklers for much of anything.

I can't wait for the time, 20 years from now, when everyone looks back at these hats with 8 zillion different logos on them and puts them in the same fashion category as Zubaz pants.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived