MLB uni changes for '07

southernyankee

To me, the white outline and armbands on the Yankees roads are the equivalent of what Steinbrenner did to Yankee Stadium in 1976 - taking something classic and bastardizing it in the name of making it modern.

Hasn't that been the design for the Yankee road unies for 30-some years? Not exactly a modern interpretation.

I think he's referring to what the thought process was at the time.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a yankees fan, I have to say I love the white piping on the Yankees road unies. It keeps the lettering from blending into the grey and helps make NEW YORK stand out more. I say keep it.

giants.png200822112725.png

big blue wrecking crew

die hard since '88

Honestly, the Yankees should keep the white trim on the lettering and numbers but lose the sleeve trim....

and go pinstriped on the road. Yes I said it. they are the only team that should be allowed to wear pinstriped grays on the road.

And on that note, the Twins and Rockies need to ditch thier pinstriped grays. At least the DBacks solved that issue when they unveiled thier new look.

Zambrano has worn the pinstripes at home during spring training at least since 2004. If it's Cubs policy, I hope it carries over into the regular season.

i hope not. i actually like the thirds, and i am a fan of thirds in general. blue is the major team color of the cubs, and i think that these blue unis are sharp. while pinstripes are nice seeing a game where one team wears white and the other wears grey for 162 games a year is very dull. at least we know every 5th game, we will see some color on the field, and there's nothing wrong with that.

btw, i also like the red billed road cap as well.

Zambrano has worn the pinstripes at home during spring training at least since 2004. If it's Cubs policy, I hope it carries over into the regular season.

i hope not. i actually like the thirds, and i am a fan of thirds in general. blue is the major team color of the cubs, and i think that these blue unis are sharp. while pinstripes are nice seeing a game where one team wears white and the other wears grey for 162 games a year is very dull. at least we know every 5th game, we will see some color on the field, and there's nothing wrong with that.

btw, i also like the red billed road cap as well.

If only it were every fifth game, I'd be all for it. (Well, I'd accept it.) But with all of the rookies pitching last year, the only time it seems you could count on seeing pinstripes was when Greg Maddux started. Because the door was opened, in reality it seems that it's more likely to see pinstripes every fifth day, not the alts. Then, when you see the alts almost exclusively on the road (which, believe it or not, I actually prefer) it's just one big blur of blue.

Blue for 162 games can be just as boring as the daily scenario you describe -- white vs. gray.

Honestly, the Yankees should keep the white trim on the lettering and numbers but lose the sleeve trim....

and go pinstriped on the road. Yes I said it. they are the only team that should be allowed to wear pinstriped grays on the road.

And on that note, the Twins and Rockies need to ditch thier pinstriped grays. At least the DBacks solved that issue when they unveiled thier new look.

(Man, that is an awesome color/logo combo in your sig!)

I disagree vehemently about the Twins.

(1) The Twins franchise has been wearing pinstriped road uniforms on and off since 1912. The Senators/Twins actually have an equally strong historical claim to pinstripes on the road as the Yankees do to pinstripes at home.

(2) The Twins use a road script with strong vertical elements; the pinstripes do not interfere with script legibility as they would for the Yankees road unis or as they do for the Rockies roads.

(3) Most teams now wear road uniforms with such light gray fabric that they'd be more properly called "dark white." Road pinstripes significantly help making the opposing teams visually distinct from one another, which is after all the whole point of wearing uniforms.

I would actually agree with you in wishing that very few teams wore road pinstripes. One or two per league, tops. You have to design carefully for road pinstripes to pull them off, and teams are more likely to get it wrong than right. But the Twins do it exactly right, and the old D-Backs roads were very close. For the Yankees to make road pinstripes work, they would have to redesign their road script, at the very least turning their radially arced letters into a vertical arch.

20082614447.png

The Cubs' uniforms are kind of a mess, really. They need a better city script, better alt, no red bills, a different name font, and consistency in trim colors (blue with red trim).

From the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...1,7297746.story

Uniform uniformity

Cubs starting pitchers usually get to select which color jersey the team wears, with the choice of blue or gray on the road and blue or white at home. Carlos Zambrano always has preferred to pitch in the blue jerseys, as he did all of spring training, but the team wore gray Monday.

As it turns out, Zambrano had no choice. Cubs President John McDonough has decided the Cubs will wear gray on the road and white with blue pinstripes at home. The move corresponds with the decision to put names on the backs of the uniforms.

So, does that mean no blue at all? Stay tuned. I have my doubts. The part above that says Zambrano pitched all of spring training in blue is completely inaccurate. It was the only time he ever wore the pinstripes, as stated earlier in this thread.

Uniform uniformity

Cubs starting pitchers usually get to select which color jersey the team wears, with the choice of blue or gray on the road and blue or white at home. Carlos Zambrano always has preferred to pitch in the blue jerseys, as he did all of spring training, but the team wore gray Monday.

As it turns out, Zambrano had no choice. Cubs President John McDonough has decided the Cubs will wear gray on the road and white with blue pinstripes at home. The move corresponds with the decision to put names on the backs of the uniforms.

Best. Decision. Ever. :woot:

Uniform uniformity

Best. Decision. Ever. :woot:

I liked the blue jerseys. As long as they don't wear them too much. If Zambrano was the only pitcher to wear blue, and the rest wore white/gray that would be fine.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• LMU locked this topic

Archived