Logo for 40th anniversery.

cappital92

Well, my high school is having a contest for a 40th anniversery logo and theme. So, I thought, why not? Anyway, here's my entry. C+C is welcomed.

40k.png

I see that you elected not to misspell "anniversary" on your design. Well played.

"Thundercats are on the move, Thundercats are loose..."

Okay, here we go ... I don't know how much of this I can put down in words without actually taking what you've done and tweaking it myself, but we'll give it a shot ... I'm always better at getting by point across by showing rather than telling ...

1. Using the '4' and the logo to make a '40' is a good, time-tested idea. But the glaring things I can see is that the two don't line up right. I would adjust the size of the '4' so that the top of it lines up with the top of the logo, and same with the bottom. Also move them closer together ? heck, they could conceivably even overlap, with the '4' on top of the logo ? so they don't seem so disjointed. I like the idea of having the '4' in gold with red trim, opposite of the logo. That would it its own distinct element if they were moved closer together.

2. Your hierarchy of words is out of whack. What are the most important words here? I would say 'Celebrating a class act.' And therefore, I would say those words should be the biggest ones there, and the most dominant design element except for the '40'. Yet, in this design, the biggest, most dominant word is 'of', followed by 'Years'. In fact, 'Celebrating a class act' are the smallest words in the whole design. Make these words bigger, while making 'Years of' smaller ? or possibly even eliminating them. If the '40' is in there and is so prominent, I'm not even sure how necessary 'Years of' is. If you have to find a different font to do this, don't be afraid to do that.

3. The ribbon is another good, time-tested idea. But in this case, I think it's too small and too far away from everything else. Make it bigger, especially if you're goig to make the words inside bigger, and bring it right up to the '40'.

4. Back to the word hierarchy ? while the school name and locationmay seem important, I'm not entirely sure how dominant it needs to be in the design. This is a logo for a local high school's 40th anniversary, and likely the people who will see it are who know the school and would be able to immediately know which school it is by looking at the logo. This is not something that's going to be out there out a national scale and be presented to people who don't know what it is. While I would say that the school name and city still deserve to be in there, I don't think they need to be as large as they are. If you can shrink then down and tuck them in between the folds in the banner, that would look much better.

OK, I hope you got something out of that. If you need me to explain anything further, don't hesitate to let me know.

Okay, here we go ... I don't know how much of this I can put down in words without actually taking what you've done and tweaking it myself, but we'll give it a shot ... I'm always better at getting by point across by showing rather than telling ...

1. Using the '4' and the logo to make a '40' is a good, time-tested idea. But the glaring things I can see is that the two don't line up right. I would adjust the size of the '4' so that the top of it lines up with the top of the logo, and same with the bottom. Also move them closer together ? heck, they could conceivably even overlap, with the '4' on top of the logo ? so they don't seem so disjointed. I like the idea of having the '4' in gold with red trim, opposite of the logo. That would it its own distinct element if they were moved closer together.

2. Your hierarchy of words is out of whack. What are the most important words here? I would say 'Celebrating a class act.' And therefore, I would say those words should be the biggest ones there, and the most dominant design element except for the '40'. Yet, in this design, the biggest, most dominant word is 'of', followed by 'Years'. In fact, 'Celebrating a class act' are the smallest words in the whole design. Make these words bigger, while making 'Years of' smaller ? or possibly even eliminating them. If the '40' is in there and is so prominent, I'm not even sure how necessary 'Years of' is. If you have to find a different font to do this, don't be afraid to do that.

3. The ribbon is another good, time-tested idea. But in this case, I think it's too small and too far away from everything else. Make it bigger, especially if you're goig to make the words inside bigger, and bring it right up to the '40'.

4. Back to the word hierarchy ? while the school name and locationmay seem important, I'm not entirely sure how dominant it needs to be in the design. This is a logo for a local high school's 40th anniversary, and likely the people who will see it are who know the school and would be able to immediately know which school it is by looking at the logo. This is not something that's going to be out there out a national scale and be presented to people who don't know what it is. While I would say that the school name and city still deserve to be in there, I don't think they need to be as large as they are. If you can shrink then down and tuck them in between the folds in the banner, that would look much better.

OK, I hope you got something out of that. If you need me to explain anything further, don't hesitate to let me know.

I tried some of what you recommended, officeglenn.

40k-1.png

Any better?

I think, if you vector it all, and put the banner underneath, and curve it like a more flatter 'U' more like a '(' rotated around.

I might have a go at it on my day off on Tuesday to show ya what I mean.

For a start its not bad, but a tad of building on the idea is needed I think.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

C+C?

Take some time to make your design look good. People around here are usually pretty good about trying to see past execution limitations, but it's tough to take a design that's as grainy and poorly produced as yours seriously.

If you're using Paint, make sure you're avoiding having to scale the design as much as possible. If you have to, make sure you're going over the lines again to ensure consistency and clarity. Also, make sure your text is centered, and that the proportions are reasonable.

Paint is a poor excuse for bad quality work... people have done some amazing things with Paint, it just takes longer and requires more patience.

In short, if you want people to go to the trouble to give you quality comments and criticism, go to the trouble yourself of giving them the best quality work you can on which to comment.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

C+C?

Take some time to make your design look good. People around here are usually pretty good about trying to see past execution limitations, but it's tough to take a design that's as grainy and poorly produced as yours seriously.

If you're using Paint, make sure you're avoiding having to scale the design as much as possible. If you have to, make sure you're going over the lines again to ensure consistency and clarity. Also, make sure your text is centered, and that the proportions are reasonable.

Paint is a poor excuse for bad quality work... people have done some amazing things with Paint, it just takes longer and requires more patience.

In short, if you want people to go to the trouble to give you quality comments and criticism, go to the trouble yourself of giving them the best quality work you can on which to comment.

Sorry,but it's due tomorrow and I knew that it wasn't what it could be. If it's that bad, I'm not even bothering turning it in.

BTW,40k-4.png

Just feedin' the wolves here.

C+C?

Sorry,but it's due tomorrow and I knew that it wasn't what it could be. If it's that bad, I'm not even bothering turning it in.

BTW,40k-4.png

Dude, just use soleman's, he said he's helping you out. One would assume he means it's fine to turn it in.

Or I could be completely wrong...

:D

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

C+C?

BTW,40k-4.png

Dude, just use soleman's, he said he's helping you out. One would assume he means it's fine to turn it in.

Or I could be completely wrong...

:D

At the very least I wanted to try to give you a good visual of what everyone was talking about, but I'd be happy to let you use that logo.

Well, it's a STUDENT-only contest, so that was out of the question. I wanted to make a logo, not steal someone else's.

Well it pretty much was your design with the elements suggested before in the thread...he just cleaned it up a little. I'd suck my pride up and submit it, it could be much better than anything else that gets submitted.

At the very least I wanted to try to give you a good visual of what everyone was talking about, but I'd be happy to let you use that logo.

Well, it's a STUDENT-only contest, so that was out of the question. I wanted to make a logo, not steal someone else's.

I respect that decision. You recognize your limitations but don't want to pass off a ringer's work as your own. Good for you. I'm certain your experience with this logo contest will help you product better quality stuff in the future.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 5 months later...

It may be dull and uninspired, but the viewer can at least make out what the elements in the logo are. The text is, while completely lame, readable.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived