If the pens moved to winnipeg.... team name?

rheistad

winnipeg and minnesota basically have the same hockey histoy except for maybe the fact the bobby hall played for the jets. so if minny got another team....  winnipeg could easily get another hockey franchise and with the penguins sucking badly and in a few seasons of lemiux losing money he will think about what to do then bye bye birdy so to speak

the mayor of winnipeg wrote a letter to the penguiins and the nhl asking about a relocation to winnipeg. Winnipeg just built a $130 million sports areana even if it only holds 15,000

what would the team be called

Actually, it's not finished yet.  Opening in 2004.

View the new MTS Centre here

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Sorry, wouldn't happen, so not even going to add my reply to it. Why does everyone think the Pens are in such bad straits? Read the article on ESPN.

Here's the link... http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl....1698778

Because a) the Penguins are losing money (virtually every NHL club is), because B) they're not exactly selling out the Igloo, and because c) Mario Lemieux is one of those guys that just won't stand for it. Maybe they're losing less than other clubs, but they don't have the deep pockets of, say, Washington.

Kelley raises some good points in his article... the Penguins aren't necessarily going over Niagara Falls, but they're also definitely not sailing smoothly along the placid seas.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Let me add to what syphi said. Mario still plays on the team (although he is hurt). And when he does play attendance is up. If he would respond to the letter he becomes hated and attendance goes down even more than it is now. Even lower than if just an owner would do that.

With that said, I don't think the Penguins are moving to Winnipeg. They will try for a few more years in Pittsburgh because they have had support there in the past. If they move it would probably be to another city in the states, although I don't think it would be a city in the south.

We are alot closer to getting an arena then most people think.  Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh just needs Gambling to be passed (which it's coming awfully close to) and we would have an assured arena.

Believe me, I've been following this situation for a couple years now, I live in Pittsburgh, the Pens will not move.  It would be political suicide for a few of the Politicians in Penn. and Pittsburgh to let it happen.

Let's go Pens!

Unfortunately, after this weekend's rather nasty weather, words like Blizzard, Ice, Winter, etc, are perhaps the most fitting.

Anybody else have to put on 4 layers to take the bus to school/work today? Right now, at ten to five, with the windchill, it feels like -39*C (basically -39*F as well).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think something that displays canadian heritage would be good as well, but not neccisarily about weather. I like the Winnipeg White Wings as a name, with maybe a snow owl on the logo or something of that sort. What kind of logo would they have if they were the tundra? It'd be hard to say. For a joke i'd like to see them be name the Winnipeg Armyless.

3JymF.png

Archived