Greatest sporting event

Richterscale

I can't vote because you left off my two top ones-

1-Grey Cup (not surprising that you left it off--but it's almost always an exciting game--nowhere near the spectacle the Super Bowl is--but it's not as one sided as often.  Yes there have been close Super Bowls, games decided late--but the Grey Cup has been better over all that way--and it's got a longer history)

2-Stanley Cup Finals (sure it's hard to get excited about hockey in June sometimes, because the season is so long, but the conference finals, and Cup finals usually produce some great hockey)

Also when you say Olympics--do you mean summer?

I prefer the Winter Olympics, not much I get into with the Summer games.

So just my comments and opinions.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Biggest sporting events. Auto Racing isin't a sport, it's a hobby, and The Kentucky Derby is great, but it's not a sport, unless your a horse.

THe Stanley Cup Finals is big to me, because i am a huge hockey fan, but in the entire world, there is nothing bigger than the Super Bowl.

Yes, the World Cup is bigger, but that's an entire tournament, for one, single event, it's the Super Bowl.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Three of the four highest attended sporting events aren't listed here.

1. Brickyard 400

3. Kentucky Derby

4. Daytona 500

When you speak of best attended, you too easily forget the Tour de France. Hundreds of thousands of people lining the barracades beside the road, hoping to catch a glimpse of the riders.

And, more watch the Tour de France than the Super Bowl.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

The Super Bowl has grown to be bigger then sports itself it has become a National Holiday in many ways, as there are parties everywhere and ppl who dont watch any sports all year watch the Super Bowl.

It is also typically the highest rated TV program each year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Wow a poll like this and there are only 5 choices, and one of those is wrestlemania, so  not really any kind of sport! Hmm, what about the Soccer world cup final, the FA cup final, champions league final, a world heavyweight title fight, grand slam tennis final, the last round of a major golf championship (everyone get the point I am trying to make here?!?!?!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Biggest Sporting events are:

The Super Bowl

The World Cup

The World Series

The Olympics (yes, the Olympics has fallen way down)

The Stanley Cup Playoffs

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Super Bowl has grown to be bigger then sports itself it has become a National Holiday in many ways, as there are parties everywhere and ppl who dont watch any sports all year watch the Super Bowl.

It is also typically the highest rated TV program each year.

For many in canada the Grey Cup is the same thing--and has been before the Super Bowl existed--hey not knocking the Super Bowl or NFL here--just saying the reasons you pick the Super Bowl are basically the same reasons I pick the Grey Cup--and would be the same reasons someone else picks what they do.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I have to say having seen a few superbowls, they are always spectacularly well presented. I can understand why people get so excited about the whole thing. But on a global level, to be honest the superbowl would probably not make the top 5. |From a global perspective I would say the top 5 sporting events would be

1 The soccer world cup final

2 A competitive world Heavyweight title fight

3 Olympic games 100m track final

4 Wimbledon mens tennis final

5 Final round of the US masters.

The last two are based wholly on a global view. Most countries would have an interest in them. Beyond the US not that many people would have a great interest in the Superbowl.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Super Bowl no doubt

it behind Christmas day, new years ever, and thanksgiving day is the biggest "holiday" in the US.

biggest ones in no particular order

Super Bowl

Olympics

World Cup

World Series

Daytona 500

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I gotta say Stanley Cup, theres nothing bigger to me or most of my friends. It isn't like teh NFL playoffs with one game series, it isn't like baseball with three rounds. In order to win the Stanley CUp, you have to win 16 games, you can play as many as 28 games in the playoffs, it's like a whole other season due to that length That's when you see how 'valiable' those millions dollar men are, and when the unsung heros shine the brightest

Auto Racing isin't a sport, it's a hobby,

A hobby? No, collecting baseball cards is a hobby. Bulding models is a hobby. Racing is as much of a sport as you can get. These guys train hard every week, and put their lives on the line at speeds of 190+ mph in over 120degree cockpits. I'd like to see what Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon would say to you if you told them that their occupation is a "hobby".

Back on topic, I'd have to say the 5 biggest events in the world are:

5.Indianapolis 500

4. World Series

3. Olympics

2. World Cup

1. Super Bowl

Auto Racing isin't a sport, it's a hobby,

A hobby? No, collecting baseball cards is a hobby. Bulding models is a hobby. Racing is as much of a sport as you can get. These guys train hard every week, and put their lives on the line at speeds of 190+ mph in over 120degree cockpits. I'd like to see what Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon would say to you if you told them that their occupation is a "hobby".

In my opinion, racing (horse racing, auto racing, any kind of racing other than track) isn't a sport. It requires athletic ability, but so do other jobs. I don't know what to classify racing as, but if the fact that the quality of your equipment (a car or a horse) has as much influence as you do in whether you win or not cannot be classified as "athletics" or a "sport".

Similarly, in my opinion, anything that lets a panel of judges decide who wins (like diving, figure skating, gymnastics) while still athletics, not a sport.

But that's just me I'm guessing.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The Biggest Sporting events are:

The Super Bowl

The World Cup

The World Series

The Olympics (yes, the Olympics has fallen way down)

The Stanley Cup Playoffs

I agree with JQK - maybe not in that order but these are the best events IMO.  I'd have to throw in the Indy 500 and the Kentucky Derby right in that group.

We could open up a can of worms, if we are picking events based on Nationality, i.e. Canada's choice, etc. .

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

If it was done by Nationality,

Canada's would likely be teh Stanley Cup,

The US The Super Bowl,

and the rest of teh World...I'd say The World Cup.

That's just my opinion based on the numbers I see in ratings and what I see around

Archived