Chicago Fire Concept

MrAsterisk

I'm back with more progress in my quest to redesign every soccer-playing organization in the world (just kidding). Here are my previous concepts:

Algeria

Scotland

Now on to the current one, for the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer. First, I must admit and apologize for the fact that I took a lot of liberties for this design. For one, the numbers are not MLS's official font, just a close replacement I found. Also, I changed the kit sponsor from Honda to Toyota to match the stadium where the Fire play, slapped the sponsor on the front, and changed the kit manufacturer from league-wide Adidas to Puma. With that said, here it is:

ChicagoFINAL.jpgSponsorlessFINAL.jpg

Front and center is veteran captain Chris Armas who has played over 20,000 minutes for the club. He wears the all-red home kit with a bit of piping.

The away kit, in white, is modeled by new Chicago acquisition, the oft-embattled Cuauhtémoc Blanco, who will join the Fire after his current Mexican season with America. It's basically an inverted version of the home kit, but with dark socks, and the same "CHICAGO" mark at the shirt's hem.

The third kit is based on Chicago's municipal flag and is worn by Frenchman Pascal Bedrossian, the only European on the current Fire squad.

Finally, the goalkeeper is Matt Pickens, who has recently been replaced by Jon Busch. Please pardon Pickens's number; he wears number 18 and I absent-mindedly gave him number 1, which, in fact, is worn by Busch. The kit is black, with bright yellow and silver highlights that evoke a firefighter's coat.

C&C greatly appreciated.

Another solid job here. Nothing too over the top, but the colors are kept in tact, and it's nice and clean. I like the alt, although admittedly you're probably about the 3,000th person to base one off the city's flag. I like the idea behind the goalie kit too, it's well executed.

philly.png

Well, Chicago's flag is based on shapes, not an over-complicated, detailed seal like many other cities, so it lends itself well to a sports uniform. About the stars on the kit, I certainly wouldn't put any more or less than four (and they'd have to be on the same horizontal plane), and I'm not quite comfortable with having them interrupted by the Toyota logo (not that I'm personally offended by it). I guess we can just say there are four around the left (non-visible) sleeve on the stripe. Or (and I'm breaking my own rules a bit here), I could put one on the inside and outside of each sock.

Wow, that was a lot of parentheses (Sorry.). ;)

Oh, and L.A. Galaxy are next, with the (rumored?) new color scheme.

you're probably about the 3,000th person to base one off the city's flag

That's because it's such a fantastic idea, everyone wonders why they don't have one already. =P

Apparently they did have an alt jersey based off the flag, but they got rid of it after the league changed to using Adidas jerseys only. Anyone have pictures of this? They were apparently used during the 2005 season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Fire_...logo_and_colors

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

you're probably about the 3,000th person to base one off the city's flag

That's because it's such a fantastic idea, everyone wonders why they don't have one already. =P

Apparently they did have an alt jersey based off the flag, but they got rid of it after the league changed to using Adidas jerseys only. Anyone have pictures of this? They were apparently used during the 2005 season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Fire_...logo_and_colors

They had an adidas version as well but I think they only wore them once. I'll see if I can find it.

beautiful concept ... i especially love the keeper's gear .. nice work on that, very clever.

I'm only sad to see TOYOTA over everything .. I'm hoping MLS can stay as far away from this as they can.

The Chicago bar is too iconic, really shouldn't go.

I agree. The one thing soccer clubs in the US had over the major clubs in the rest of the world was that they didn't whore their jerseys out to the highest bidder. I know it's just a concept, but how about doing this again with some team wordmarks?

Personally, I like the sponsor; that's why I added it. To me, it makes the club look more "big-league", at least in soccer. But perhaps shame on the teams "whoring" their jerseys out who have given me that perception.

That said, I would be glad to attempt this with the "CHICAGO" and "FIRE" wordmark bars. It will be up later tonight.

Very nicely done. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that the logo is primarily blue, while the kits are primarily red and white. See if you can incorporate more blue into the design, maybe outline the Chicago/Fire bar and add some piping. The adidas template would actually work very nicely with this because you could make the adidas shoulder stripes blue.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Archived