Padres hat history?

AndrewPF

Hi, I'm supposed to be recieving a cooperstown collection San Diego Padres hat, but I don't know from when. From what i know about it, it has brown sides, a gold brim and a white front. Does anyone know when the Pads wore this hat? Thanks!

~Bostonfan2004

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its like the 74-84 i think

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Not based on your description, it isn't. In fact, the cap you describe was never worn.

Since you're not going to look on Dressed to the Nines *hint, hint* yourself, you can take me at my word. The Padres didn't have white anywhere on their caps until they changed the team colors to navy and orange; the interlocking "SD" monogram had a white "S" IIRC.

Quickly:

1st cap: brown bill/crown, gold interlocking "SD". 1969-1972.

Alt #1: gold crown, brown bill, brown interlocking "SD". 1971, road.

2nd cap: brown crown, brown bill, gold triangle (NOT the entire 2 front panels, as many inferior ripoff throwback caps would have you believe, and NOT with straight edges on the triangle - the sides were curved), brown interlocking "SD". 1972 (alt), 1970s.

3rd cap: as above in 2nd cap, with orange border on triangle, orange eyelets, orange outline on brown interlocking "SD". I still have mine from 1983; can't wait for my kids to be able to wear it. Their best cap ever. 1980-1984.

4th cap: brown crown, brown bill, orange interlocking "SD" (different style than the monogram used in the first 3 caps). 1985-1990.

5th cap: navy crown, navy bill, white "S" interlocking with orange "D". 1990s through 2003.

6th cap: navy crown, navy bill, new interlocking "SD" monogram in sand/white (road) or white (home). 2004-present.

Check my dates if you want, if you really don't believe me. But they never had gold bills, nor white panels on the front.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Not based on your description, it isn't. In fact, the cap you describe was never worn.

Since you're not going to look on Dressed to the Nines *hint, hint* yourself, you can take me at my word. The Padres didn't have white anywhere on their caps until they changed the team colors to navy and orange; the interlocking "SD" monogram had a white "S" IIRC.

Quickly:

1st cap: brown bill/crown, gold interlocking "SD". 1969-1972.

Alt #1: gold crown, brown bill, brown interlocking "SD". 1971, road.

2nd cap: brown crown, brown bill, gold triangle (NOT the entire 2 front panels, as many inferior ripoff throwback caps would have you believe, and NOT with straight edges on the triangle - the sides were curved), brown interlocking "SD". 1972 (alt), 1970s.

3rd cap: as above in 2nd cap, with orange border on triangle, orange eyelets, orange outline on brown interlocking "SD". I still have mine from 1983; can't wait for my kids to be able to wear it. Their best cap ever. 1980-1984.

4th cap: brown crown, brown bill, orange interlocking "SD" (different style than the monogram used in the first 3 caps). 1985-1990.

5th cap: navy crown, navy bill, white "S" interlocking with orange "D". 1990s through 2003.

6th cap: navy crown, navy bill, new interlocking "SD" monogram in sand/white (road) or white (home). 2004-present.

Check my dates if you want, if you really don't believe me. But they never had gold bills, nor white panels on the front.

This list is close but not entirely accurate

69-72 Brown Crown Brown bill Yellow Button Yellow SD

1971 Yellow Crown Brown Bill Brown Button Brown SD

72-79 Brown Crown with Yellow curved front panel Brown Bill Yellow Button Brown SD

80-84 Brown Crown with yellow curved front panel and Orange outline Brown Bill Orange Button

Orange outlined Brown SD

85-90 Brown Crown Brown Bill Brown Button Orange SD

91-98 Navy Crown Navy Bill Navy Button White S Orange D

1999 Navy Crown Navy Bill White Button White SD

99-04 Light Navy Crown Light Navy Bill Light Navy Button White S Orange D

00-04 Light Navy Crown Light Navy Bill Light Naby Button White SD

04-Current Light Navy Crown Light Navy Bill Light Navy Button White SD

04-Current Light Navy Crown Light Navy Bill Light Navy Button Sand SD outlined in White

The blue actually cahnged in 2000

Then all those green military day caps

It says 1984 on the back

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

It says 1984 on the back

Then you probably got ripped off. 99 out of 100 of the "throwbacks" they make for the Padres are. I think I know the one you're talking about, and if it is the one I am thinking of, then yeah - you got taken.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I got it this morning, here are the pictures

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

cool, eh?

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Then all those green military day caps

Aren't the green caps new for this year?

They might be different this year, if that's what you mean, but they've worn the green caps before. I remember because it was highlighted by Paul Lukas as New Era "logo creep" either last year or the year before (I think he said it was the first time for NE creep in MLB, but it has happened since).

As for the cap pictured above, doesn't look like they wore it, certainly not in 1984. But if you like it, then enjoy it.

I would have to go with the 72-79 model, before the orange was added, as my favorite. Not sure why, but I have always loved the old brown and yellow Padres stuff!

And speaking of their caps being wrong, Sports Products made their souvenir batting helmet wrong for years. They made the triangle the same size as the Orioles, Twins, etc, while the Pads triangle was much smaller. Fotoball took over the souvenir helmet business a couple of years ago and released a throwback line. Their version of this helmet is an embarassment! The yellow triangle is HUGE!

Archived