Rockland Bulldogs Concept

patsox

ROCFCWatermark-1.png

First up is the one team I am a member of: RHS Soccer

Lose all the watermarks, end that practice. No-one out there is going to steal your work. Make the banner wrap around the ball. I know where you got them from, but right now they look like they're just plastered on your image, which they are. There is way too much going on here, even for a soccer badge. Lose whatever that green thing is at the bottom, make one of your elements the main focus and enlarge it. Is this a badge or a ball? Either get rid of the stripes and make it a ball or get rid of the ball markings and make it a circle with diagonal strips, don't try to do both. I suggest making your "D" the main focus, put it in the middle, and then put your year (still small) in the middle of the D or something along those lines. Get rid of the diagonal Rockland because it already says rockland in your upper banner. And lastly lose the massachusetts silohuette, every team you play will know your from Massachusetts, and it does more harm than good.

*Complete sarcasm here* Actually don't lose the watermarks as I was seriously considering ripping this off! *End of sarcasm* :P

Not funny sorry.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks speedy. Represent da Massachusetts hood.

Umm... are you thanking me for mocking you? Well, you're welcome.

A couple things though...

Do not refer to Massachusetts as a hood. Do not use da, you're a small white kid from Rockland, the will suffice. Also, you can :censored: out better insults? Hard to :censored: out anything with your head up your ass. Get rid of the ridiculousy large signature.

I'm done being a dick, enjoy the rest of your evening.

Too many typefaces - too many non-original objects - too many colors. This is not well thought out, nor well executed. If you're going to put something together, spend some time really thinking about every single choice you make with your design. In the real world of design "because I thought it would be cool" or "I thought it looked good" or "I just slapped it together" does not fly. Carefully consider the comments that are applicable to this design and start from scratch - then carefully consider each element you add into the design, from colors, to imagery, to type. Consider the application of the design - is this going on jerseys? is it going on a website - you need to make sure the design works in each different medium. Then when you've thought out each element, spend a good amount of time rendering, then re-rendering, then do it again, until its refined. Then go back and take out anything and everything from the design that can be eliminated. Then get feedback from your peers, and make more revisions and refinements. Good design, great design, takes time, thought, and effort (if you didn't already catch that).

If you're really serious about being a designer, you need to invest in the tools of the trade. Learn the history of the field, and art history in general (especially from 1850 to now). Research designers and design firms, look at design - immerse yourself in anything you can that's related to design. Stare at your favorite magazine ads - consider what you like and what you don't like, and what you'd do differently. I know you get a lot of negative criticism on these boards, so I highly recommend you take my advice from the previous paragraph and really spend a lot of time and effort on your next design. If you choose to ignore my comments, that's your loss.

OD_Signature.jpg

First of all, match the fonts in your concept, it looks too mismatch to me, second of all, it looks to busy and you should find at least make the state of massachusetts bigger. Put the D from "one" wordmark into the state, don't make it so busy, you should make it look traditional. Also LOSE THE FREAKING SIG...I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SCROLL OVER YOUR BIG ASS SIG

Thanks speedy. Represent da Massachusetts hood.

Umm... are you thanking me for mocking you? Well, you're welcome.

A couple things though...

Do not refer to Massachusetts as a hood. Do not use da, you're a small white kid from Rockland, the will suffice. Also, you can :censored: out better insults? Hard to :censored: out anything with your head up your ass. Get rid of the ridiculousy large signature.

I'm done being a dick, enjoy the rest of your evening.

Actually speedy, patsox used two asterisks'. So he could have meant the following words:

Salt

Scat

Scot

Seat

Sect

Sent

Shot

Shut

Sift

Silt

Skil

Slat

Slit

Slot

Smut

Snot

Soft

Soot

Sort

Spat

Spit

Spot

Suet

Suit

Swat

-or-

Swot

Yeah. Just a little use of my Friday night :P

And patsox, I completely agree with speedy, and I'm sure everyone on planet earth does too, when I say GET RID OF THAT RIDICULOUS SIG!

Patsox, you need to take some art courses and learn the art of craft (look it up).

Putting out this :censored: doesn't cut it. Two best words of advice I ever got were "if it doesn't look good to you, it won't to anyone else" and "Simplicity is in a sense perfection. It is the point where you cannot add value by either adding or subtracting elements."

And lose the sig, you bring it on yourself.

I have the feeling that he really just does not care.

He doesn't care about what we think, the fact that some people do actually try to help him, or the fact that what he puts out here just makes him look bad.

Patsox, it's gotten to the point now that if you're not going to take what you do seriously, you need to stop designing things and / or stop bringing them here until you can take it seriously. You're a punk kid. You act like one, and your work smacks of it. You're just taking up space. If you truly want to improve, you'll clean up your act both on and off these boards. If you want to act like a punk off the board, "IRL" as the kids say, then go for it, because we don't have to put up with it. But when you come on here, you need to act like an adult. You need to SPELL WORDS CORRECTLY. You need to portray yourself as one in what you put forth. You'll gain respect. People may actually like you.

I'm not the best designer here (mid-to-bottom tier, actually), but I try my best to contribute what I can to the community (when I'm not being an a**hole about it). I try to gain the respect of everyone here by doing so. If this is your way of trying, then I'd hate to see what it's like when you're not.

Bottom line, either wise up or find a new hobby.

philly.png

Yes it does.

No, it doesn't. The fonts are only vaguely similar, and that's only if you squint. For it to be a rip-off he would have to use the same font, which he clearly didn't.

I don't think it is a rip off either. The S is different, as well as the D (which by the way, need some conformity in both words)...only thing I would say is similar is the colors. It's hard to say a wordmark is a rip-off unless it is the exact same font.

To throw my two cents in, it looks like a bad ripoff. The colours, proportions, spacing, use of angled serifs, all smacks of the Texans. Whether the ripoff was intentional or subconsciously perpetrated, the wordmark should be changed regardless - it's too close.

As for the soccer design, well, mac2 offered enough good C+C here to last patsox for a long time.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

No, I didn't get them from Word. I googled "banner". And redrew the image myself in Paint with the curved line and line tool FYI.

Did you just say Paint?

Dude, seriously...Paint?????? I am speechless... :blink:

Yes I did.

Honestly, you want to be a designer and you use Paint?

Good luck.

Actually nyjet, I'm going to have to back up patsox for once on this one. There are a bunch of tallented designers here that use paint, because a lot of us can't affort fancy vector programs and what not. There was this 'painting' I guess you would call it, that was made on Paint that was amazing. I think the painting was actually posted on these threads not too long ago. So patsox, you do need to take more time on your concepts. Nyjet, don't be so quick to judge, a lot of talented designers use Paint, and if you take your time, you could honestly make a concept with Paint that looks a lot like many of these other concepts made with Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

EDIT: Here's the masterpiece (as they call it) that was made in Paint.

beautiful_mspaint_artwork_t.jpg

There are a lot of MS Paint masterpieces if you just search the web. A quick Google of "MS Paint Masterpieces" is what I did and I came up with a lot of great paintings and even some video clips. It just goes to show you, haste makes waste, but if you take your time you can create something amazing.

Yes I did.

Good luck.

Actually nyjet, I'm going to have to back up patsox for once on this one. There are a bunch of tallented designers here that use paint, because a lot of us can't affort fancy vector programs and what not. There was this 'painting' I guess you would call it, that was made on Paint that was amazing. I think the painting was actually posted on these threads not too long ago. So patsox, you do need to take more time on your concepts. Nyjet, don't be so quick to judge, a lot of talented designers use Paint, and if you take your time, you could honestly make a concept with Paint that looks a lot like many of these other concepts made with Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

EDIT: Here's the masterpiece (as they call it) that was made in Paint.

beautiful_mspaint_artwork_t.jpg

There are a lot of MS Paint masterpieces if you just search the web. A quick Google of "MS Paint Masterpieces" is what I did and I came up with a lot of great paintings and even some video clips. It just goes to show you, haste makes waste, but if you take your time you can create something amazing.

Ramsfan,

I will respect that. I will agree with you. If Paint can seriously do all of that, then that is simply amazing and I am sure it takes a ton of time to get the job done.

I will also agree, PatSox, you need to take more time. Paint is very limited so there will be things you need to work around. So, keep at it then, but take your time.

Yes I did.

Good luck.

Many posters here (myself included) do decent to amazing work in MS Paint. As long as you know how to use the tools provided to you by the programming you can put out some amazing stuff.

True, you probably can't make a living as a designer with MS Paint, but as far as sports logo and uniform concepts go, you can put out stuff just as nice as Illustrator or other design programs.

Patsox's work isn't sub-par because he uses MS Paint, it's sub-par because he fails to improve his skills, both as a designer, and as a MS Paint user.

In closing nyjet88, don't lump us MS Paint users who actually try to improve ourselves in with Patsox. At this point it's an insult to those of us who actually take pride in our work.

I think NYJet's statement was made unwittingly, as he didn't realize how awesome Paint can be -- if used correctly. So I don't think he means any harm by it. ^_^

Really, with any program, you need time and practice. I've seen concepts on there that were done in Illustrator that were sub-par. The program can only take you so far -- you need to be good at using it and good at knowing what works and what doesn't and not straining yourself outside of your abilities. If you don't have a "high powered" program, then you make use of what you have... WordArt, Paint, whatever. You do the best you can, but you don't slap something together in 10 minutes and think it's a masterpiece.

It doesn't matter if this is your ambition or your hobby. If you don't take it seriously, we won't take you seriously.

philly.png

I think NYJet's statement was made unwittingly, as he didn't realize how awesome Paint can be -- if used correctly. So I don't think he means any harm by it. ^_^

Really, with any program, you need time and practice. I've seen concepts on there that were done in Illustrator that were sub-par. The program can only take you so far -- you need to be good at using it and good at knowing what works and what doesn't and not straining yourself outside of your abilities. If you don't have a "high powered" program, then you make use of what you have... WordArt, Paint, whatever. You do the best you can, but you don't slap something together in 10 minutes and think it's a masterpiece.

It doesn't matter if this is your ambition or your hobby. If you don't take it seriously, we won't take you seriously.

Thanks! I honestly didn't know that Paint could be used that way. If everyone sees my last reply, they can see that I was not aware.

Archived