MLB Alternate Logos Project

ltravisjr

I have finally made it to the final installment of this alternate logo project, the NL West. Before we get to it, I just want to thank all of you for bearing with me through it, and offering compliments and criticisms. The project has generated more feedback than I am used to, so even if I haven't replied to every single comment offered, rest assured I appreciate them, consider them, and my work has improved because of them. Thank you for that. I have enjoyed reading the range of opinion, too. Different folks have different favorites from the set; even ones I haven't been particularly satisfied with. That's awful cool. So now, to wrap up, here are the last five:

San Diego:

OK, this was a risk. My initial intent was to keep the home plate graphic, and I had come up with a very simple alt with the SD over the plate. However, I got an inspiration to use the "P" instead and see how it would look if the shape of the plate were tweaked to match the smooth flow of the "P". We end up with the warped 3d view you see, which may be a bit over the top. You be the judge.

SDalt2.png

Los Angeles:

Well, a Dodgers alt is practically impossible. Like San Francisco, the logo is basically the Wordmark. What's worse is that I couldn't incorporate my own original design elements because I don't even know what the heck a "dodger" is. All I could do was take the "LA" initials from the wordmark, put them together, and add the distinctive tail. It doesn't look too bad, but I am not sure where it could be used since the Dodgers already have an "LA" cap logo. I must also add, that while I created this on my own, this wound up resembling a concept averyj posted on a Dodgers a while back: (Averyj's version). His didn't have tail, but even so, had I thought of any other route to go with this, I would have taken that instead.

LADalt.png

San Fransisco:

The was an extremely difficult alt to come up with. The primary logo is simply the wordmark over a ball, and the alternate/cap, the SF, is impossible to improve upon. After searching for ideas, I got lucky as I looked into the archives. I noticed the CC site still lists the script "G" as an active logo, and as I looked further into the team's past, I noticed there was an original version of the "G" in an early logo, and the decender of it was a bat. Therefore, I reintroduced the bat and modernized it a bit.

SFalt.png

Arizona:

This was pretty straitforward. I love the updated snakehead in the current cap logo, so I borrowed it and simply laid it over the outline of Arizona. Nothing fancy here, but I like that the state is now depicted.

ARZalt.png

Colorado:

My first aim for Colorado was to use the mountain from their primary, but never had much luck with it, so I decided to add my own design element. I combined a mountaineers pickaxe and the "C" from the Colorado wordmark, and was finally satisfied. I like that it has originality but yet reflects the current identity by its colors and typeface. I think its my favorite of this division.

COLalt.png

Well, that does it. Thanks again for your attention to my efforts! FYI the other divisions in the project:

NL East:http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?ac...t=48765&hl=

NL Central:http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...c=47859&hl=

AL West: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=47272

AL Central: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=46767

AL East: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=47020.

LT

no worries bro,

especially love the ny apple, the marlin and the detroit paw on the base. sweet stuff.

dont really know much about baseball but obviously the vurnacular in bb design is faily stilted

in comparison with other sports. looks of cursive script across the front and not alot else.

would be nice to see womething a bit different.

keep it up.

Padres - Decent. Could probably get by without warping the plate, if the 'P' is not contained with in it completely. Let it hang out (let the jokes fly) of the top and bottom if needed and I think it would be fine.

Dodgers - Not much else really to work with, so I think this is pretty good.

Giants - A simple modification of a currently used logo. Some may say it shows laziness, I say it shows that bit extra to make it better. Good work, especially with the research into their past.

D-Backs - Not bad. I too like the snake head, and if I was thinking it up, I'd like the idea of it placed in the state outline. But now that I see it, it's okay, but not as great as I had imagined, and that's not on you. You did everything right on it, it's just not as good of an idea as you would've imagined.

Rockies - Love it! That is one of my favorites you've done. I know, technically, the pickaxe may not have relevence because it's the 'Rockies' and not something that necessarily has anything to do with Miners, but you could make the leap, and I think that the overall appearance helps with that, because it is just plain and simply kick @$$. Great Work!

Since you said you don't know what a "Dodger" is, I thought I'd clue you in. It's actually short for "trolley dodgers" and harkens back to their Brooklyn days when it was a kind of inside joke about how bad the trolley drivers had gotten. With that said, incorporating a trolley might be a cool idea, or it might be a complete disconnect given their move to LA. Perhaps you could bring it to a new context.

With that said, incorporating a trolley might be a cool idea, or it might be a complete disconnect given their move to LA. Perhaps you could bring it to a new context.

Funny, I said that too as part of a pm to LT.

But, a small correction.

Trolley dodger was a derogatory term of Manhattanites for residents of Brooklyn, New York from the late 19th century to the middle of the 20th century. The term relates to how Brooklynites would have to dodge their city's abundance of trolley lines. Their field in Eastern Park, in 1891, was bordered on two sides by trolley tracks. Players and fans had difficulty in reaching the ballpark due to the number of trolley lines in the area. This spawned the name of the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers, which was later shortened to simply Dodgers. The name "Trolley Dodgers" is recorded separately in two newspapers on September 3, 1895.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

LA Traffic Dodgers?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

well, that's true too. If you want a horror story from when i was out there last winter, PM me

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Love the DBacks logo and incorporating AZ. Top notch! LA also looks good.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Thanks for the input and compliments, guys. I may well go back and tweak some of these that I feel could still be improved on ("trolley dodgers": I love that image and will probably try to come up with something for that). As far as the NBA and NFL, that would be a real challenge. The NBA already has great alts and the NFL doesn't really focus on them, but I guess that could be an opportunity someday. McCall, thanks for the critiques, and Greenshoe, it looks like you are a Giant fan so it is rewarding to see you like my representation of your team ^_^ .

LT

Archived