Please help get rid of the Sabres new logo!

daschuck77

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a very rough outline of how much better a blue logo would be on the white jersey...This is old, thanks for the memories Marty!

John is working on something much more professional and illustrative of his logo on the current Sabres jersey.

newwe7.jpg

Yeah, looks fine on a white jersey, but disappears on the blue one. That's one of the reasons that led them to go with a gold buffalo. It shows up well on both the home AND the away. It's pretty universal.

Here is a very rough outline of how much better a blue logo would be on the white jersey...This is old, thanks for the memories Marty!

John is working on something much more professional and illustrative of his logo on the current Sabres jersey.

newwe7.jpg

Yeah, looks fine on a white jersey, but disappears on the blue one. That's one of the reasons that led them to go with a gold buffalo. It shows up well on both the home AND the away. It's pretty universal.

I respectfully disagree. Namely because we haven't seen a solid example of the Celsius logo on the dark jerseys and number two, the outline of the Celsius is thicker I imagine that would help out the logo's visibility...

Look at the guy in the back in the vintage on the left side of the photo and the guy in the white slug on the right...who give a couple of feet are somewhat the same distance from the camera...

I can still tell those are Sabres in the middle of that blue uniform...Now look at the right...It is very difficult from that distance to identify what is on that white uniform from a distance...The same goes for the player in the middle in the darker current jersey as well...It's poor aesthetics when I think of the slug.

2006-Sabres-New-Uniforms-Photograph-C12349226.jpeg

newwe7.jpg

Yeah, nothing looks better than a yellow blob on a white jersey. <_<

The Sabres used to have a blue logo on a blue jersey. Then they had a white logo on a white jersey starting in 1997. Both jerseys looked great.

BTW, the current uniforms are NOT better because they've been around a year. They're still as horrible as they were the day they leaked. If anything, they're worse. The sales last year were because the city of Buffalo had a team they felt good about and tons of new merchandise that they didn't already own.

I can still tell those are Sabres in the middle of that blue uniform...Now look at the right...It is very difficult from that distance to identify what is on that white uniform...It's poor aesthetics when I think of the slug.

You could look at the slug all day and not be able to identify that thing. It doesn't look like anything. Or maybe it looks like everything, since you can see everything from Donald Trump to Barney Rubble to a snot rocket.

What it doesn't look like is a buffalo or a sabre.

I can still tell those are Sabres in the middle of that blue uniform...Now look at the right...It is very difficult from that distance to identify what is on that white uniform...It's poor aesthetics when I think of the slug.

You could look at the slug all day and not be able to identify that thing. It doesn't look like anything. Or maybe it looks like everything, since you can see everything from Donald Trump to Barney Rubble to a snot rocket.

What it doesn't look like is a buffalo or a sabre.

And I hated how cheaply they made the Sabres wear the Royal Blue vintage without buying some matching royal blue pants...they just made them wear the dark blue helmets and the pants of the primary uniform...

newwe7.jpg

I respectfully disagree. Namely because we haven't seen a solid example of the Celsius logo on the dark jerseys and number two, the outline of the Celsius is thicker I imagine that would help out the logo's visibility...

Look at the guy in the back in the vintage on the left side of the photo and the guy in the white slug on the right...who give a couple of feet are somewhat the same distance from the camera...

I can still tell those are Sabres in the middle of that blue uniform...Now look at the right...It is very difficult from that distance to identify what is on that white uniform from a distance...The same goes for the player in the middle in the darker current jersey as well...It's poor aesthetics when I think of the slug.

intersting observation but you are correct. putting as side my hate of the yellow :censored: streak, just from aesthetic POV, you can see the old crest better than you can see the yellow slug which the further away you look at it, the more it looks like a yellow smear.

lets say the return to the old crest and JS's designs aren't the end all be all answers to the new logo, i think at least js's designs would be the direction the team should have gone in. maybe not his designs completely, but at least something close to it not the rejected yellow bills logo.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

intersting observation but you are correct. putting as side my hate of the yellow :censored: streak, just from aesthetic POV, you can see the old crest better than you can see the yellow slug which the further away you look at it, the more it looks like a yellow smear.

lets say the return to the old crest and JS's designs aren't the end all be all answers to the new logo, i think at least js's designs would be the direction the team should have gone in. maybe not his designs completely, but at least something close to it not the rejected yellow bills logo.

And it's not the logo itself that pisses me off...it's the lack of honesty with the whole process...

http://sharks.nhl.com/video/app/?media=htt..._launch_700.asx

First of all they acutally give out the guys name who designed the logo...We don't see that from the Sabres (probably now out of protecting his/her well being) But once again, it's an organization being upfront with the fans about the process even showing other sketches and design ideas.

"We didn't want to lose the integrity of the mark...and the equity of the mark"

Once again, It's obvious that Buffalo management did not have that benchmark in consideration when they approved the slug.

Lets say the return to the old crest and JS's designs aren't the end all be all answers to the new logo, i think at least js's designs would be the direction the team should have gone in. maybe not his designs completely, but at least something close to it not the rejected yellow bills logo.

And it's not the logo itself that pisses me off...it's the lack of honesty with the whole process...

http://sharks.nhl.com/video/app/?media=htt..._launch_700.asx

First of all they acutally give out the guys name who designed the logo...We don't see that from the Sabres (probably now out of protecting his/her well being) But once again, it's an organization being upfront with the fans about the process even showing other sketches and design ideas.

"We didn't want to lose the integrity of the mark...and the equity of the mark"

Once again, It's obvious that Buffalo management did not have that benchmark in consideration when the approved the slug.

\

heres the thing that gets me, how on earth did the sabres approve the design? after 10 years, the fans were wanting a return to blue and gold. which was obvious they wanted a return to the old logo or something modernized. They weren't clamoring for a streaking slug. of course you had those that bought up the jersey no matter how ugly it was, hell you could have put a vectorized logo of dog :censored: on they jersey and they would have had top jersey sells. I could tell when they released the red alternate, there was a movement to return to the old set but maybe modernized. But the slug is the damnedest thing.

I just think QUinn told the designer, just come up with something featuring a buffalo and we'll call it good since no matter how :censored:ty it looks, people will buy it anyway. Lets just forget tradition and just create something edgy that people will buy. I don't even think they even took in consideration the fact that a logo really needs to be an iconic look that looks timeless and professional. The slug looks neither professional, timeless or iconic. It just looks like an 'at the time' edgy logo to make a quick buck instead of creating a timeless look that people can associate with the team.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I hate the damn slug.

in my opinion, its just a small market team trying to be 'edgy' and set leauge trends to 1) make money 2) increase attention/fanbase

I bought a vintage 3rd last season, and really- thats all you can do at this point. The slug isnt going anywhere.

Just Be thankfull there not the kansas city sabres after the rigas fiasco, when you think about it like that - who gives a :censored: what they wear

go sabres

newsigsma6.jpg

I forgot to address this before. If you go to The New Blue and Gold Project site, you can click on a section called Previous Concepts. These were my original ideas from back in 2003. They were scattered and rough, but I wanted to get them out of my head, and get some excitement back into the blood of Buffalo about wanting Blue & Gold back. From that point I got ALOT of emails. With ALOT of feedback. Some of it was overly positive and supportive, some of it was blindly negative. I listened to alot of people's comments and critiques ... good and bad and ending up refining the mark into a much more focused and refined mark and brand identity. Its maybe 80% there, but its come along. And not because I love sunshine blown up my a$$. But because I took criticism ... and used it.

js- First, I thought the 2003 buffalo head over the sabres was your best concept. Classic but different.

Your site talks about having merchandise for purchase. I remember seeing an image of a hat on the site that looked great. Is this happening?

I hate the damn slug.

in my opinion, its just a small market team trying to be 'edgy' and set leauge trends to 1) make money 2) increase attention/fanbase

I bought a vintage 3rd last season, and really- thats all you can do at this point. The slug isnt going anywhere.

Just Be thankfull there not the kansas city sabres after the rigas fiasco, when you think about it like that - who gives a :censored: what they wear

go sabres

There is plenty that can be done if you hate the slug...http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=890

For one I would encourage you to not purchase any merchandise (slug or vintage) keep writing letters, sending emails...

And to be honest, even if the slug was number one selling logo in the history of the universe, I believe Golisano is positioning the team for a sale anyway. He's a businessman after all.

alright guys ... so I had a few free minutes to put together these concepts by throwing my logos on the current jerseys ... love to hear what you guys think of these ...

hybrid_ryan.jpg

hybrid_goose.jpg

hybrid_max.jpg

hybrid_soupy.jpg

I also threw them all together in a wallpaper for a more branded presentation ...

hybrid_all_thumb.jpg

I made them in 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768

Let me know what you guys think of these ... but please don't spread them around (the photos are taken from Mike Lynaugh's site and I haven't gotten his permission ... as these are merely for concepting and nothing else).

Amazing! That IS the Buffalo Sabres.

Only comment, I'd love to see the gold/yellow they use now and from the past, just to stay true to the franchise origins, not the St. Louis Rams-esque gold you've shown.

I've always liked that pop the yellow has against the blue, though I do see the argument for the darker gold which makes a richer color story. either way, so long as the slug dies.

Archived