Houston Dynamo get shirt sponsor

roxfan00

Anyone who complains about sponsor logos on soccer uniforms is obviously not a soccer fan.

Sponsors have been part of soccer for a long long time....this is NOTHING new.

It's nothing new, and it still sucks.

And no - I couldn't give a crap about football/soccer, and this is one of the reasons why.

So there.

It doesn't matter if YOU like sponsorship or not or whether YOU care about football/soccer or not....the fact remains that sponsorship has and will continue to be a part of soccer uniforms for a long long time. I don't have an positive or negative opinion about it either way because I've just grown to accept it. For people to incessantly gripe about the subject as if its a new thing is ridiculous. Over a billion people watch soccer/football across the world vs. only millions for our beloved major sports. So who do you think has it right? Us or them? I'm just saying, because many Americans tend to have arrogant notion that anything and everything American is the be all and end all.

If American fans will stop watching the MLS because of sponsorhip (something I highly doubt will be the reason why they wouldn't watch) then they would have stopped watching baseball when they incorporated the ads behind homeplate or stop going to sports stadiums named after corporate sponsors.....none of which has happened.

I think people need to stop peddling soccer to an American audience that doesn't watch soccer and cater to those who do. BTW, there are millions of people in America who do watch soccer, so the audience definately exhists.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLS was like that, though - sleeve sponsor and the sponsors on the back. MLS has almost always had ads, they're just shifting to the front to look more like the rest of the world.

last night I was going to post a huge "nice to see all the usual CCSLC MLS thread debates and arguments coming up ONCE AGAIN" anti-trolling diatribe, but whatever. I guess that means it's OK for me to go s**t in every NFL thread about how it's useless to call the game "football," right? :rolleyes:

back on topic. though the logo is slightly second-class (as in, it wouldn't look out of place in the Coca-Cola Championship in England), it's really not bad. I love how they kept it all white for the home, too - a nice touch. It honestly doesn't look bad, and I love that they kept a very local company to them for their sponsor - another nice touch.

----------

as for names...at least one Europe-ized name and one American-style name need to go. Real Salt Lake and KC Wizards, I'm looking at you - both are uninspired and come across as awkward.

I don't mind the American-style names that work - Chicago Fire, SJ Earthquakes, NE Revolution. They're clean, work, and have good identities. The problem is the Crew, the Wizards, Real Salt Lake, and to a degree the Dynamo - they're just slightly awkward, don't have great identities, and honestly don't really know what they're trying to do. RSL is an especially horrible grab at a European name - I'd still prefer Salt Lake Wanderers, to make the slight Mormon reference in there too.

harperdc.gif

This whole sponsor thing is one reason soccer will never take off in America.

Americans like their sports on the field clean. They see enough advertising in everyday life, they'd like to keep it off their teams uniforms. It sounds silly, but when ads go on uniforms, people check out...

Unless you're in the south... and then, only on cars is advertising ok. :-P

Yeah! Americans hate Advertising in Sports!

ebbets_field_9.jpg

Most of all, they hate Advertising on uniforms! They'll never go and watch those games!

mags_back.jpg

mags_vs_checkers_3.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

When I first heard that Dynamo was getting a sponsor, I thought GALLERY FURNITURE. But then I heard it was going to be an energy company and I thought RELIANT ENERGY. Alas, we will never get to see either of these...

hou_gal.png

hou_rel.png

When I first heard that Dynamo was getting a sponsor, I thought GALLERY FURNITURE. But then I heard it was going to be an energy company and I thought RELIANT ENERGY. Alas, we will never get to see either of these...

hou_gal.png

Gallery would have been great, since Gallery's owner was so impressed by the Dynamo's supporters this past season that he's become a major sponsor of the team. That's the kind of sponsor MLS needs, though Amigo isn't the worst sponsor about...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Americans like their sports on the field clean. They see enough advertising in everyday life, they'd like to keep it off their teams uniforms. It sounds silly, but when ads go on uniforms, people check out...

Do you have any evidence at all to support this claim?

Soccer's popularity in the U.S.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This whole sponsor thing is one reason soccer will never take off in America.

Unless you're in the south... and then, only on cars is advertising ok. :-P

Yeah! Americans hate Advertising in Sports!

ebbets_field_9.jpg

Yea, because those are on the uniforms, right?

And as for the minor-league hockey pics with the ads on the jersey, you're right, people do watch those games.... but that's the problem, soccer will never be anything more than a minor league sport in the american conciousness.

Me personally, was really beginning to dig on the Metrostars. I liked the name (after they dropped the NY/NJ crap), and i liked the logo, the kits, and was really begining to get into soccer (kindo going off the World CUp high as well, i love watching the World Cup)

...then they became Red Bull New York.

I checked out...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Because all those people who pile into British-themed pubs on Weekend mornings nationwide are there to chit-chat whilst waiting for the blue light laws to expire.

Ooh, a hat trick! Can he get more?

Texas Hat Trick!

.... as opposed to the Louisiana Low Blow?

Yes. And the worst part about it? I only clicked "Add Reply" twice, and the second time only after I went back and tried to post again.

Me personally, was really beginning to dig on the Metrostars. I liked the name (after they dropped the NY/NJ crap), and i liked the logo, the kits, and was really begining to get into soccer (kindo going off the World CUp high as well, i love watching the World Cup)

...then they became Red Bull New York.

I checked out...

If that's why you gave up on soccer, don't worry. We didn't need you anyway. Just don't assume that your silly reasoning translates to other people.

Besides, you lost credibility with me when you said you liked the MetroStars name.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Do you have any evidence at all to support this claim?

So you would attribute the historical failure of US soccer leagues to... shirt ads? :blink:

Soccer has never been more popular in the US than it is now. That would seem to disprove your point, not support it.

And you quit on the team because they moved from one corporate name to another corporate name? Seems rather bizarre to me....

Um, Barca has a giant ad plastered on the front of their shirt as well....

In their defense, Barca went almost 100 years without a shirt sponsor, and when they decided to add one, THEY paid UNICEF to put the UNICEF logo on the shirts. So it's not like Barca up and decided to start whoring themselves after all this time without a shirt sponsor.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Listen. Let me make this clear to anyone that may or may not have any clue what they are talking about when it comes to the popularity of soccer in America....and I'll make it simple.

The main determining factor of whether or not soccer can take off in America once again (remember the NASL in its hayday circa 70's/80's?) has NOTHING...I repeat NOTHING to do with ads or sponsorship on their jerseys or fields or whatever. PERIOD.

There is another up and coming sport that is taking the country by storm called NASCAR (have you heard of it?) they have been known to sport an ad or two on their vehicles during races. I doubt very highly that the one or two ads that are adorned on the cars changes the appeal of the sport and its growth in America.

Um, Barca has a giant ad plastered on the front of their shirt as well....

In their defense, Barca went almost 100 years without a shirt sponsor, and when they decided to add one, THEY paid UNICEF to put the UNICEF logo on the shirts. So it's not like Barca up and decided to start whoring themselves after all this time without a shirt sponsor.

True, but if the objection is on aesthetic grounds, that doesn't really matter.

Many English clubs went 100 years before adding their shirt sponsors as well - guess MLS is actually ahead of the curve on something. :P

Ok, I agree with many points on this topic...to sum up, all the people who love soccer are right, and all the ones who don't like it just suck. Simple. :P

Anyway, back to the uniforms...Those of you who don't like advertising on them, then I've got just the team for you to root for!

2007_team_photo_wp_800.jpg

Archived