Houston Dynamo get shirt sponsor

roxfan00

Ok, I agree with many points on this topic...to sum up, all the people who love soccer are right, and all the ones who don't like it just suck. Simple. :P

Anyway, back to the uniforms...Those of you who don't like advertising on them, then I've got just the team for you to root for!

2007_team_photo_wp_800.jpg

Its only a matter of time before a company like Gilette or Sam Adams Beer changes that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... I think I'd quite like it if the Wizards picked up Boulevard Brewery as a shirt sponsor. It has a strong local connection, plus it is available through a large and expanding area. Though maybe I just have a thing for regional beermakers (even when I don't greatly like their beer).

BLVD.gif

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Um, Barca has a giant ad plastered on the front of their shirt as well....

Yeah, forgot they turned to the darkside. Been awhile since I've seen a Barca game.

It's too bad, I used to respect Barca for that.

I just hope that if my town ever gets an MLS team, they don't give in and sacrifice their looks for sponsorship money.

Um, Barca has a giant ad plastered on the front of their shirt as well....

Yeah, forgot they turned to the darkside. Been awhile since I've seen a Barca game.

It's too bad, I used to respect Barca for that.

I just hope that if my town ever gets an MLS team, they don't give in and sacrifice their looks for sponsorship money.

Not that I don't agree that I think teams look better without ads, as there is less clutter, and you can focus on the team, not the ad, Barca, unlike most teams, isn't taking money for their current jersey "sponsor".

As far as I know they're sporting UNICEF on the kit and donating a portion of the proceeds to the charitable organization.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

You are correct. But as I said before, if the objection is on aesthetic grounds, that is a distinction without a difference.

If I ever got behind an MLS team, I would want them to persue shirt sponsorship. To turn down a revenue stream that your competition will have seems awfully irresponsible to me. I hate uniform ads, and will fight against MLB and the NFL adopting them. But MLS has had uniform ads since its inception, so I would expect my team to persue them vigorously.

I'm lucky that my childhood hockey team just happens to have a uniform sponsor I can really support:

e707c30bd99a32ef16c476d6e9e9c3f3.200.jpg

Gotham's right - the MLS has always had sponsors, it's just that now they've moved the logo locations to the front - just like the rest of the world for soccer.

just be glad the jerseys don't look like these

Pfft, those are clean.

http://www.colours-of-football.com/colours...n/finland2.html

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Plenty of pics of the new kits in action on the Dynamo/MLS site.

311xInlineGallery.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

If I ever got behind an MLS team, I would want them to persue shirt sponsorship. To turn down a revenue stream that your competition will have seems awfully irresponsible to me. I hate uniform ads, and will fight against MLB and the NFL adopting them. But MLS has had uniform ads since its inception, so I would expect my team to persue them vigorously.

I'm with ya Gothamite, I'd love to see them with a sponsor so the Revs could actually sign a few more players(they've got two roster spots that've been open since May - ridiculous). They had Sierra Mist as a sponsor last season, with the logos on the shorts and sleeves. This year - nothing. I have no idea what the thinking is... :wacko:

I acknowledge the need for sponsors, but as a logo and uniform fan, I hate the prominence that the sponsor name gets. I know that's how they do it in Europe, but I won't root for Herbalife. The jersey should say Galaxy across the front. You can stick a small logo on the pants or something, but not in place of the team name.

Same here. Just because that's the way it's done in Europe doesn't mean that's how it should be done. People would scream bloody murder if "Cardinals" was removed from St. Louis' jerseys in favor of "Budwieser," yet when MLS does it, it's "cool" and "Euro."

Europeans might be used to it, but on this side of the pond, it looks cheap and tacky.

Not nearly as cheap and tacky as putting the team name on the front....

That gets me thinking--

Imagine if--in addition to those US Soccer badges--the USMNT had "United States" across the front of their jerseys in cursive letters, with the last "s" forming an underline...

Not a pretty sight.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

That gets me thinking--

Imagine if--in addition to those US Soccer badges--the USMNT had "United States" across the front of their jerseys in cursive letters, with the last "s" forming an underline...

Not a pretty sight.

wouldn't work, FIFA rules dictate now that numbers have to be certain places on the front, so they couldn't do that even if they wanted to now. The point is taken, though.

and let's not hold soccer and baseball to the same standards; apples and oranges here, especially in the US. Even in places like Japan, if I'm remembering correctly, in the biggest teams the sponsorship is more from the ownership and naming of the team than patches on the jerseys or - god forbid - European soccer-style front-of-shirt sponsorship. It will never infest the MLB because they won't ever want it to, but front-of-shirt sponsorships taking up space in the middle of jerseys is the norm for soccer; MLS has been the oddity for much of their life span. They want to normalize with the rest of the sport; I don't see the problems at all, and I don't see the connection to NOT watching or sponsorships somehow infesting other sports because of it.

harperdc.gif

Really, this whole sponsorship debate comes from the same myopic viewpoint that created the opposition to European-styled franchise names. In other words, it's not done in American sports, therefore it's tacky and tasteless, so let's just use it as another excuse to dismiss the sport.

Honestly, there was a time when I, too, mocked sponsorship. But I didn't understand or care about soccer, its culture, and its traditions.

Now that I've become a fan -- an obsessive one at that -- I find shirt sponsorship natural in the sport. It just took a little time understanding the culture of a sport that exists outside the 50 states to make me realize that.

That gets me thinking--

Not a pretty sight.

wouldn't work, FIFA rules dictate now that numbers have to be certain places on the front, so they couldn't do that even if they wanted to now. The point is taken, though.

and let's not hold soccer and baseball to the same standards; apples and oranges here, especially in the US. Even in places like Japan, if I'm remembering correctly, in the biggest teams the sponsorship is more from the ownership and naming of the team than patches on the jerseys or - god forbid - European soccer-style front-of-shirt sponsorship. It will never infest the MLB because they won't ever want it to, but front-of-shirt sponsorships taking up space in the middle of jerseys is the norm for soccer; MLS has been the oddity for much of their life span. They want to normalize with the rest of the sport; I don't see the problems at all, and I don't see the connection to NOT watching or sponsorships somehow infesting other sports because of it.

Yes, lets not. The comparison is no where near the same. Lets not forget that baseball, football, basketball etc. all have the benefits of time outs and regular game stoppages. For god's sake some baseball games drag on past 4 hours of game time. Soccer is played continously, with only a short stoppage for halftime so the idea of having ads on players jerseys becomes much more understandable. I just wish more people would understand that fact.

Not to mention, it IS the most popular game on earth...in case anyone forgot. :)

Archived