Rare Mavs Jersey

Thunder Dan

The Mavs wore Blue road jerseys in their first season (1980-1981), and they used White numbers and letters, trimmed in Green, and then in White. They switched to Green roads in year two.

That picture is a LITTLE bit like them - save for what looks like Gray trim.

It's not fake, it looks like one of those fashion throwbacks that Nike put out a few years back.

Yeah, I know there was a green T-Wolves of the old design, a jersey that never (but should have) existed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's a pretty cool jersey. The Mavs need to somehow incorporate Green into their logos.

It seems weird to me, when a team uses a random color for it's alternate. Like the Kings, I can see them losing the silver and going with gold. Maybe if they move to vegas, vegas gold.

I'm guessing the original Mavs blue jersey was a lighter shade of blue, more like the photo below (early 90s Mavs blue).

JJacksonDal.JPG

The "DALLAS" font on the ebay jersey looks more like the font on the old green jerseys (and probably the 1980-81 blues).

That was their original font on the unis. Love that curved lettering. Then, they just blew it by switching to the plainer font in the early 90s (or even late 80s, can't remember).

Still, I don't remember ever seeing a navy Mavs jersey with that lettering. It was always the green for me. Ro Blackmon, Mark Aguirre, James Donaldson, Brad Davis...

That was their original font on the unis. Love that curved lettering. Then, they just blew it by switching to the plainer font in the early 90s (or even late 80s, can't remember).

Still, I don't remember ever seeing a navy Mavs jersey with that lettering. It was always the green for me. Ro Blackmon, Mark Aguirre, James Donaldson, Brad Davis...

Expansion year...pre-Ro, Aguirre, Donaldson, Jay Vincent, et al. Think Jim Spanarkel, Abdul Jeelani, Tom LaGarde, etc. They wore Blue. Green came in the second year.

And yes, I'm 100% positive.

The Mavs wore Blue road jerseys in their first season (1980-1981), and they used White numbers and letters, trimmed in Green, and then in White. They switched to Green roads in year two.

The MAVS did NOT wear blue during their first season. The road unis were green, with white rounded numbers trimmed in blue, then green, then white. They kept this look until they switched to block numbers and blue jerseys sometime in the late 80s / early 90s.

Here were the colors from that era:

DallasMavericks_FRC_2001_SOL.jpg

Not quite Navy, too dark to be Royal.

The original Mavs' Blue road unis were similar to the later Green roads except for the numbering/lettering trim. The Greens had - for example - White numbers, trimmed in Green, then Blue, then Green and then White. Very hard to make out the Blue in there. Very cluttered. The original Blues were White numbers trimmed in Green then White. Much cleaner.

The 1980-1981 expansion season coinsided with my first year at North Texas - I followed that team very closely. I was very disappointed that they moved to the (crappier) Green jerseys, although I remember reading in the newspaper that they had considered keeping the Blue road uniforms as an alternate of sorts. The move to Green was for the Mavericks to distinguish themselves separately from the Cowboys. Have Blue associated with the 'Boys, Green for the Mavs.

The MAVS did NOT wear blue during their first season. The road unis were green, with white rounded numbers trimmed in blue, then green, then white. They kept this look until they switched to block numbers and blue jerseys sometime in the late 80s / early 90s.

Sorry, you're wrong.

pantone is correct. they wore blue on the road in their first season, and stopped wearing it, honestly, to show solidarity with the cowboys, since wearing blue jerseys is bad luck for dallas teams, they claimed...

so in season 2, they switched to green.

i was -4 in 1980, and my family didn't move to texas until 1991, but i'm 100% positive that pantone and i are correct here. they talk about it in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Dallas-Maveric...8463&sr=1-2

And now I remember what bugs me about that faux throwback (besides the fact that I hate the modern player in an old style jersey, if I want an old blue mavs jersey...I want it to say spanarkel on the back not nowitzki!)

Anyway obviously the number font is way too blocky, it should be the illegible curly style the Mavs had through most of the 80's.

I love how they reincorporated green with the alt, BTW.

Thanks for the support guys...I've been looking all over for pics, but couldn't find any. I used to have a clear, close-up view of one in a magazine, but got rid of the mag a while back (I'm an idiot).

I would have bet my life that they wore Blue in 1980-1981...glad I was right (!).

Archived