Budweiser to sponsor #9 Kasey Kahne

DelayedPenalty

Evernham Motorsports announced today that Budweiser will be the primary sponsor of the #9 Dodge next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?s...&id=3018324

Lots of speculation about Junior's number and sponsor for next year as well. Possible numbers include 28, 38, 58, 81, and 82. 38 is currently used by David Gilliland so I doubt that'll be the choice. Junior said he'd like 81 (he used it on his Busch car a few times).

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?s...&id=3018107

It has already been "confirmed" that Mountain Dew will be the primary sponsor. Supposedly the National Guard sponsorship will move to Junior's car as a secondary sponsor, and Casey Mears will move the the #5 Kellogg's car being vacated by Kyle Busch.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Evernham Motorsports announced today that Budweiser will be the primary sponsor of the #9 Dodge next season.

Lots of speculation about Junior's number and sponsor for next year as well. Possible numbers include 28, 38, 58, 81, and 82. 38 is currently used by David Gilliland so I doubt that'll be the choice. Junior said he'd like 81 (he used it on his Busch car a few times).

It has already been "confirmed" that Mountain Dew will be the primary sponsor. Supposedly the National Guard sponsorship will move to Junior's car as a secondary sponsor, and Casey Mears will move the the #5 Kellogg's car being vacated by Kyle Busch.

Well the Kahne Bud news is that even though it's been speculated for about a month or so. The junior news, well that's been known for awhile. Actually on September 19th the Junior questions will be answered in a press conference at 1:30 pm eastern in Dallas, TX.

Remember that Gillette/Evernham is also looking into buying Petty Enterprises to make a 4 car team. Terry Blount used to write for the Dallas Morning news when I lived there. He's good. They will have to drop one car, but the sponsorship of General Mills would continue if Petty is absorbed. Dodge/UAW need to worry about healthcare and jobs over NASCAR sponsorship. Now the Kahne/Allstate sponsorship or commercils may be in jeopardy since should an insurance company be alligined with an alcohol company with a driver?

Junior is supposedly taking over number 5.

Now necessarily. since Hendrick will get rid of #25 as a tribute to Tim Richmond. Rick Hendrick thinks it is time to let that number go. The numbers already posted are what they (Hendrick Motorsports) have asked NASCAR to have for next season. I can see 38 his next car. Brian Vickers is already in the 83. All I know is that a Mountain Dew car will remind me of DW and have its livery change every summer for their "new" flavor. Now, I was more shocked for the FIA ruling on McLaren today. D@mn!

28 used to be a Yates number with Davey Allison, then Ricky Rudd; and I know the 38 is a Yates number, David Gilliland runs it, so I don't really see those as likely possibilities. Jr. runs the #81 on his Busch car sometimes, so that would work out nicely, he could have the number in Cup and Busch since JR Motorsports will be partnering with Hendrick and their engine program in Busch.

Junior was asked about the number issue not too long ago on PTI; specifically, one of the bobbleheads asked him what about all those people with 8 tattoos and the like. Junior's response was "They'll be fine, they'll just need to add a little bit to it." This lends some credence to the 81 speculation, I just hope that he maintains the same font...

look for Jr in the (PepsiCo) Mountian Dew AMP Energy Drink number 28 Chevrolet

again, that used to be Yates Racing, Davey Allison/Ernie Ervin/Ricky Rudd....I don't know who has the option on that number, but it's got history, and I doubt Yates would just give it up, unless they don't have it anymore.

if Junior ends up with Mountain Dew, they NEED to do a throwback to Darrel Waltrip's old paint scheme:

11dwdewmonomodel.JPG

old-school.

harperdc.gif

Fair enough. I just was wondering what standards you were using. So on that standard would Mark Martin be overrated? Then again I wouldn't necessarily consider Jr. to be the most overrated driver out there based on your standards, I would say Michael Waltrip and Kenny Wallace would be, especially Kenny.

Fair enough. I just was wondering what standards you were using. So on that standard would Mark Martin be overrated? Then again I wouldn't necessarily consider Jr. to be the most overrated driver out there based on your standards, I would say Michael Waltrip and Kenny Wallace would be, especially Kenny.

Yeah, but the thing about DJ is that he's EVERYWHERE. He's not just promoted within the auto racing community, he's on TV commercials and Jay Leno and all that. He's probably one of the three most recognizable drivers among people who don't follow NASCAR (with Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart). Waltrip and Wallace are overrated, but they aren't nearly as big as DJ. Maybe it's just a distinction between being overrated and overhyped.

Michael Waltrip has 2 Daytona 500's to his name, but I think they hyped him a bit too much after that and he hasn't delivered. Mark Martin is not an overrated driver, he is a veteran of the sport who has had some bad luck thrown his way. 3 second place championship finishes, 4 third place finishes, and numerous other top 5 finishes. Mark Martin is the Phil Mickelson (per-major win) of Nascar! Right now, Dale Jr. is the Mark Martin of Nascar! Greatest driver never to win a championship.

Archived