Super bowl layoff...

See Red

What do you guys prefer in terms of how many weeks are in between the Super Bowl and the Conference Championship games?

I maybe in the minority, I'm not sure.  But I prefer the two weeks.  It gives the two teams more time to prepare and a chance to prepare outside of the distractions of the Super Bowl's host city.  And I know that players like Troy Aikman, for one, prefers the two weeks for that exact reason and thta's who it's all about, ain't it?

I was just curious as to what people prefer.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'd rather see the whole season start earlier, then have a week between wild card games, and one between playoffs and SuperBowl. I also think that the SUper Bowl shoudl be the third Sunday of Jan, and the whole schedule ratchet back from there.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

one week. And the SB has no business being in February. I could understand the 2001 season, that was a special circumstance, but other than the country being attacked again and brought into war, it should be the last Sunday in January.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

it messed me up, i was all set to party this weekend with the guys, but low nad bhold, its the weekend that i have to go home and miss out on the Superbowl blast...

you'd think that they'd keep it week after week, keep things going. A week off might break up the rythym that they have going into the big game

Agreed, JQK.  Keep it in January.

Was there some sort of event scheduled at Reliant Stadium or something that made the NFL schedule the Super Bowl for February?  Or did they just do that on their own?

And the only problem I have with 2 weeks is that with a matchup like this one... there's not much to talk about.  Not much hype.  So you hear the same things all week and you really just get tired of hearing about it and it takes away from the game.

But I DO think it's a very good matchup.

IUe6Hvh.png

i always liked 1 week to keep momentum going, but in this case...

the extra rest for Davis, the extra week to absorb the fact "we're in the Super Bowl", the extra week of local media going on and on about game strategies, and the fun of everyone under the spell of Panther-mania, it's been great.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

You can't really compared the scores of games played with 2 weeks to games played with 1 week because 31 Super Bowls have been played with 2 weeks in between.  So close scores may just be coincidence

IUe6Hvh.png

It may be coincadental but I like the trend, and hate the 2 week wait. Id like to see the game played as soon as possible so teams dont lose sharpness or momentum

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

which week is a distraction?  They spend the 1st week in their home cities and go to the host city for the 2nd week which ends up being about media and the distractions.

They need the first week to prepare adequately for the game without all the distractions.  Aikman and Favre have both said they prefer 2 week layoffs.  hell, Aikman wrote an article about it.

IUe6Hvh.png

If I was coach Id perfer to go right to the Super Bowl without teh distraction of getting tickets for friends and family.

A week makes that impossible and aloows them to concetrate just on the game.

That week home coudl allow your mind to wander and ose your focus and mental edge.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I prefer 1 week, but I can understand why players would like 2 weeks. But, from a fan's point of view (an face it, there's millions of us and only a few dozen of them), give us something to fill in that week in between... maybe the two worst teams could play for the right to draft first, or have a grudge match between a team that barely missed the playoffs and the team that knocked them out.

Just ideas, but give me something...please... or my girlfriend will want me to go shopping.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

and herein, my friends, is a good reason the NFL should reinstate the Playoff Bowl...an excuse to get out of shopping with your gf :laugh:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I've heard from a couple of different sources that the owners of Gateway Computer tried to find a way to get the USC and LSU football teams to play a showdown game last week but that the NCAA wouldn't even let them offer the $20 mil. prize or foot the bill for the stadium rental and marketing.

That wouldn't be a bad idea to have a game on the off week. "The Loser Bowl" for first pick in the draft. Interesting idea...

Of course, the winning team would get first pick. No sense on seeing who could tank a game worse.

And for the record, I was able to avoid shopping on the off week this year... I had hockey tix.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived