CONCEPT81: New Orleans Hornet Alt. Logo Re-Color

bigdub81

Ok I had this one up in the logos section but I thought that it would make sense putting it here. I like where they went with the logo, nice tie in to the city but I think that the Hornets, color's are too....uhh.....'non-manly' I would say! Regardless of trying to make purple (which is damn near blue), green (teal) and gold (yellow-orange) work, I think it could be a lot better just to darken the color a bit! Here I took the logo and re-created it as best as I could and added a white 'shine' to the ball also doubling as a crescent shape since this is the crescent city and added a metallic gold outline around the logo. C&C as usual and thanks for checking out my post.

Logo-HornetsAlternate.2.png

Logo-HornetsAlternate.png

Ok I had this one up in the logos section but I thought that it would make sense putting it here. I like where they went with the logo, nice tie in to the city but I think that the Hornets, color's are too....uhh.....'non-manly' I would say! Regardless of trying to make purple (which is damn near blue), green (teal) and gold (yellow-orange) work, I think it could be a lot better just to darken the color a bit! Here I took the logo and re-created it as best as I could and added a white 'shine' to the ball also doubling as a crescent shape since this is the crescent city and added a metallic gold outline around the logo. C&C as usual and thanks for checking out my post.

Logo-HornetsAlternate.2.png

Logo-HornetsAlternate.png

Nice tweak. I like it better.

Just ditch that, uhm, well... white blur from the basketball.

I understand the direction you're trying to take this, but with all the changes, it's too dark. The lightest color you have is a thin rim of gold (along with the ball). The only white anywhere is in the reflection of the eyes and on the ball.

When viewed on a uniform, you'd see a blob of dark, darker and darkest. The lighter teal worked, manly or otherwise.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Ok I took the advice and here it goes.....

1) Kept my darker teal but I try to keep it teal I guess and yet make it more green

2) Traded in that darky navish purple for an actual deep purple

3) Went back to their yellow-gold which honestly put next to the other two colors does look better

4) Added a thicker gold outline

5) I'm keeping my 'crescent' shine! That's just New Orleans, baby!

Logo-HornetsAlternate.08.png

Everybody darkens the colors and changes the gold to a metallic color; it's the trend of the new millennium. I don't see why the hornets would ever need to hop on that bandwagon with such a great, unique color scheme that works well in so many applications. Therefore I don't find improvement in your color choices, however, the Jazz-like royal purple in the most recent version would be appropriate and acceptable, provided you used the lighter teal color. You simply don't have enough contrast in there now. I like the Crescent City reference, but shiny balls are the worst thing ever to happen to sports logos. If you're going to put the crescent in there, I would make it really subtle by repositioning it out along the edge of the ball, eliminating the line of yellow that runs between the crescent and the purple.

Really, what's wrong with the logo, though, is not the color scheme; it's the fact that the hornet has only two legs. I understand that you want the whole thing to fit inside the uninterrupted fleur shape, but sometimes anatomical correctness trumps artistic license, and this is one of those times. The legs could either form the other lines of the basketball like the two that are already there, or they could trail behind, down near the striped section of the insect, but they just need to be there in some form or another. Those curves and line weights need to be fixed as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ok with this post I'm gonna' mark this one out as the final touch up! I went with the Hornets, teal...real purple...and their gold with my basketball 'crescent' shine and I moved it down to the outer rim of the ball as suggested! For all sakes and purposes, I think I finally got this one down.

Concept-HornetsAlt.Logo.png

Ok with this post I'm gonna' mark this one out as the final touch up! I went with the Hornets, teal...real purple...and their gold with my basketball 'crescent' shine and I moved it down to the outer rim of the ball as suggested! For all sakes and purposes, I think I finally got this one down.

Concept-HornetsAlt.Logo.png

Wow, this turned out a lot better than I was expecting. My only nitpicks are with the crescent. First, it is inconsistent in that the rest of the logo is perfectly symmetrical, and the rotation of the crescent breaks that. Second, it seems a little odd to me having a shine on the lower right of an object. Usually that is where a shadow is. Nevertheless, it is a good concept and I can live with it.

LT

Allow me to intrude........I love the recolorization. So why not let us kick it up a notch toooo:

Or something of the sort.

You know I thought about going that route so I appreciate the put in! Let's kick it up another notch... since I've layed down the re-color how's about including the New Orleans Arena, into the shape of the new wordmark? Or maybe masking it into the 'HORNETS' and since the arena's shell is almost a teal color anyway, you can still use it inside the letters. You have something going with what you've got already and I like it where it's headed!

Archived