The NEW New Orleans Saints

BlueSky

Must say well done overall. Great idea and push out effienctly. 1st set is my personal favorite, works extremely through all 3 jerseys. My only gripe for the entire post/sets would be the Home jersey in the 2nd set, it screams Bengal's orange tops and not fond of them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the C&C. It's definitely different being on the receiving end. B)

I see the similarity some are mentioning to the Rams, especially this rarely worn combo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they ever wear that? I don't recall ever seeing the Rams in white/white until I found this pic.

06-steven-jackson-action-1-HH23206.jpg

But I assure you, the similarity wasn't intentional and I still think the concept works well. Many uni designs are similar - in fact I think it's tough to design anything that doesn't resemble some other uniform somewhere - and it doesn't take away from their appeal.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Looks more like the Brewers font to me. Not a big fan of it.

Interesting ideas, but whenever a team can use its own colors in place of white - such as the Raiders' home uniforms - they should. I'd hate to see the Saints move away from that.

Count me among those who don't like the black pants they wear now, and who don't want to see any new black pants in their future.

The design has potential, though. Just not for the Saints.

Interesting ideas, but whenever a team can use its own colors in place of white - such as the Raiders' home uniforms - they should. I'd hate to see the Saints move away from that.

I agree with the point you make, but it doesn't apply here. The Saints' official colors are old gold, black, and white.

Wow. Just wow. Every one of those combinations looks great.

I thought that exact same thing, wow. The white helmet looks fantastic. All three sets look great. The only thing that I don't like is the 3 different types of socks for the 3rd set.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Goth was right - it's the Times New Roman the Brewers use. And as I feel with them, I don't know that I embarce putting America's default word processing font on a pro sports jersey. I never use TNR, so that's coloring my distaste.

As was mentioned, New Orleans has to be considered the most unique city in the US from a cultural standpoint; cities like Boston, Miami and San Francisco are running way off the pace. If you're not going to go with the Varsity Block they wear now, try and find a font that better embodies New Orleans. Something "jazzy", for lack of a better term. Or play off the Gaelic-themed uncial font in the wordmark (although Northwestern tried that a few years back in football with bad results). Either way, it needs something with more kick. (BAM! Jeez, I'm sorry... the puns are unintentional but also inevitable here... :down:)

Moving on - since we've yet to see a team successfully pull off a metallic jersey, I am OK leaving the Saints with black primary jerseys. But to play up their use of the "proper" shade of old gold, make the numbers gold instead of white. White outline? Yeah, if you want - but there'd be enough contrast with old gold on black to make it work. You would probably have to outline the gold numbers in black on the white jersey, so for the sake of uniformity, a white outline may be necessary.

I'm not crazy about the contrast-color sleeves, if only because it looks very Rams like, as was mentioned. There are plenty of other things you could do without resorting to that: UCLA-style stripes, fleurs-de-lis, other striping patterns. Hell - you could even put the numbers in there, like the Jets do; given the difference in the color schemes of the 2 teams, it wouldn't look quite as derivative.

As far as the pants go, teams with metallic colors always do well to use the metallic color for their pants. Not only does the metallic play nicely off both the dark and light jerseys, it allows the team's dominant color to get more exposure. In this case, by adopting the white shells - and they look great, by the way - you really oughta think about one pair of gold pants for all the uniforms. Extra pants (black or white) makes monochrome madness a possibility. And two pair of gold pants - one with white accents, one with black - is unnecessary. Simplify.

All in all, I like it. But I don't love it yet.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This a great concept but what about a real color change ?

Ad some Purple to the black/gold (purple=mardi gras, old NO Jazz, NO Voodoo...) or use some blue.

Blue ? Why ??

Because of the french heritage in Louisiana (blue, red, white are the french flag colors).

Cleveland Cavaliers colors can be great for the saints : Navy blue, red & vegas gold.

Or the quebec nordiques colors : light blue, red, white (and they use a fleur de lys as there secondary logo)

What do you think about that change....

GEAUX SAINTS !!!

Interesting you mention purple...because for a real brief time I actually discussed with my comrade skyAA1 the possibility of swapping out all the black for a really deep, really dark purplish hue, for the very same reason you mentioned (the tie-in to Mardi Gras)...but, the thing about that is that there's another team in the NFL that--no, actually three--that use those colors, gold and purple. One uses a yellow for its gold; the other uses Vegas with its purple. So, gold and the familiar black it is. For now... :D

you're talking about Vikings & ravens.

Ravens had a black helmet & Vikings a Purple one (& vikings purple is lighter).

Just remove all the black for purple.

Try the change :

1) Keep Gold helmet

2) Use a dark purple (like rockies) for the jersey

3) gold pant

4) stripes on pant & helmet : purple/white/purple

i think it can be a great combo.

i'm not a designer so i let you do that you're better for that.

and don't forget the "french heritage" touch for " Les Saints de la Nouvelle Orléans"

(keep gold pant & helmet / dark blue jersey / additional colors : red & white)

and don't forget the "french heritage" touch for " Les Saints de la Nouvelle Orléans"

(keep gold pant & helmet / dark blue jersey / additional colors : red & white)

About that...

i just see on ebay a Louisiana Tech throwback hat.

colors : Light Blue (baby blue? powder Blue?) & Red

Quebec Nordiques (alternate logo was a fleur de lys like NoLa) uesd the same combo color and got the same heritage. french=acadian=cajun

Let's go Bayou Boys !

Geaux Saints !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The white helmet is awesome - great concepts guys!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I'm not feeling the suggestions for purple in the uniform. Yes, I think they need a big break from the past...but not that big. As for the idea of gold pants with all the combos, Bucco_B tried that and it doesn't work with the white helmet. IMO, their current helmet is what doesn't work with their all-black monos...the helmet should always match something else in the uni, even if it's just the white in the sleeves of the gold pants-stripe version of our all-black version. The way the colors complement each other in each of the combinations is my favorite thing about this concept.

It's funny in a way, most Hornets' concepts insist on keeping that hideous teal when they're a perfect candidate for the color palette suggested here. Of course, the old Jazz had a Mardi Gras color scheme. Perhaps that's why the team has kept the old colors. Keeping the Jazz nickname in Utah has to be one of the weirdest name-related things ever in sports btw. What were they thinking? Makes as much sense as New Orleans Mormons would. :D

Thanks for all the C&C.

I agree with the point you make, but it doesn't apply here. The Saints' official colors are old gold, black, and white.

Even if so, it oughtn't be that way. They don't need white on the home uniform - it just clutters up a beautiful color scheme.

Even if so, it oughtn't be that way. They don't need white on the home uniform - it just clutters up a beautiful color scheme.

Help me understand what you're saying. You mentioned the Raiders, so for the Saints you mean nothing but black and gold? There should be no white at all, even as an accent/outline? That's their current home look and IMO it doesn't work. The only white at all is the helmet stripe and number outline - not enough if you're going to have the color on the uniform. Maybe your suggestion would work with some tweaks, but the all-black doesn't fit with the gold helmet and the gold pants (as worn yesterday for the first time in a loooong time at home) don't match the gold in the numbers or helmet at all.

This is what I mean about the numbers/pants not matching. The numbers are at least closer to the best gold they ever had, the "copper" gold from their first uniforms in '67, while the pants are the lighter "Vegas" gold. Even if the numbers were Vegas gold, fine, just get the damn things to match. It's astounding that a professional team can't get uniforms with matching colors.

09000d5d80378216_gallery_600.jpg

Now why Drew Brees is doing ball-balancing tricks in the middle of the pass rush is another question. :D

Help me understand what you're saying. You mentioned the Raiders, so for the Saints you mean nothing but black and gold? There should be no white at all, even as an accent/outline? That's their current home look and IMO it doesn't work. The only white at all is the helmet stripe and number outline - not enough if you're going to have the color on the uniform. Maybe your suggestion would work with some tweaks, but the all-black doesn't fit with the gold helmet and the gold pants (as worn yesterday for the first time in a loooong time at home) don't match the gold in the numbers or helmet at all.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The Saints should do what the Raiders do - use as little white as possible on the home uniform.

I don't like the white outline around the numbers, as to my eye it clutters the design and makes them scan less efficiently (the opposite of what most outlines do). I'd even scrap the white helmet stripe for a single black stripe, or two black stripes surrounding a gold stripe.

I certainly wouldn't increase the amount of white (or use black mime pants). As for the golds not matching, that's another problem and not really germane.

Archived