The NEW New Orleans Saints

BlueSky

This concept is a collaboration between me and Bucco_B, so we've each written an intro:

SkyAA1

I'm not a designer and have never done a concept, but a while back I started thinking about what a great Saints uniform would look like. My admiration for Bucco_B's work led me to approach him about collaborating, and he has been very generous with advice and suggestions, not to mention executing the concept. We used some Saints work he had previously done combined with my ideas, and from nothing more than e-mailed descriptions of how I saw these unis, he pulled it all together and made it come to life with his outstanding dynamic template.

While my favorite concepts and real-life uni updates are always strongly influenced by the team's heritage, my intent here was to make this uniform different from anything the Saints have had before. As a Saints fan since 1969, I believe they must make a near-complete break from their losing past, and this concept extends that to their on-the-field look.

Nearly every Saints concept uses a gold or black helmet, but some time ago, Georgia Tech wore white throwback helmets with a gold "GT" logo and they were beautiful. I thought, "Why not the Saints?" For the rest, I wanted to resurrect their old shade of gold and Bucco's suggestion was to use a lot of it, which really works here. The shoulder/sleeve design, similar to some 60's Broncos sets, was driven by today's jersey cuts. Shoulder stripes and sleeve stripes just don't work well, nor does a simple logo with no contrast. I like the Saints' current wide pants stripe so we just added some contrast to that. I really don't care for most "modern" looks with pointy helmet and pants stripes and so on. Finally, in the past I've not been a fan of either the "state" logo or the gold alts, but Bucco B suggested using them and they really work with this look IMO. We even found a tiny way to incorporate a crescent, as in the Crescent City. Look for it!

The end result is a fresh but traditional uniform style that is still obviously the Saints but clearly a break from their past designs. Frankly, I was torn between using the gold jersey as the home uni, and between the black pants having the primarily white stripe (very sharp) or the primarily gold stripe (also looks good and features the gold, which is an important part of the Saints look). We decided to let you decide.

I've given plenty of C&C on this board, guess it's only fair to take my turn on the other side. B)

Bucco B

Thank you, Russell. Now I will explain exactly what you are about to see here.

As SkyAA1 mentioned up above, the overall aim of this collaboration was to come up with a Saints concept that is totally different than any and everything we all currently know and have seen (and currently see) as the Saints--while at the same time also being instantly recognizable AS the New Orleans Saints upon first sight. Together, the two of us have developed two different sets of Saints uniforms. Follow along...

First off: the colors. Mention "black and gold" to most NFL fans, and they will almost instantly think of...the STEELERS. That's a good bit unfortunate, since the Saints actually use REAL gold (while the Stillahs...well, y'all already know). So, in order to better drive that point home, the first set of uniforms is dominated by gold...a much deeper and bolder shade of gold than the Vegas gold currently employed by the Saints. Now true, no team in pro sports uses a metallic color as its primary, but if ever a team were to be unique and buck that trend, why not the team based in the most unique city in the United States? In this concept, the uniforms are topped by that white dome skyAA1 mentioned earlier, with gold home shirts and white pants with a broad gold stripe flanked by think stripes of black, for contrast. The numbers are white outlined in black, and the sleeves are white (to match the pants), offset by a broad black stripe. The socks are also gold (for a visual reference of the previous version of Saints gold socks, Google! an image of Archie Manning). For the primary roads, the numbers are gold outlined in black, and the sleeves are gold to match the pants. Socks are white with a stripe similar to the white pants (and numbers). Just because, an all-white road look is also included (it'd be damn near inevitable if this concept was to become reality, anyway).

The second set--actually, there's two "second sets"--uses black as the primary color, similar to current times. (Originally this was to be the alternate look to the gold primaries, but we both think the sets look so good, we'll leave to to you all to choose for yourself which should be primary and which should be alternate.) Again, the white dome is present. For the primary home uniform (the first of the second two sets), the jerseys are black, with white numbers outlined in gold, and white sleeves offset by a broad gold stripe--pretty much the inverse of the gold-based home set. Pants are the same as the gold-based home set, and the socks are black. The road set is pretty much the same as the gold-based primary road set, except where the sleeves and pants of that look were gold, this time they're black, with broad white stripe flanked by thin gold. The socks are also gold. Now, with THIS set, just because Saints love doing it currently, there is a secondary home set--black jersey over black pants with white striped socks.

Now...about that second "second set". The only difference between it and the first black-based is the striping arrangement on the road and secondary home sets. Where it was gold/white/gold on that first "black-based set, on the second one, they are white/gold/white (for the purpose of striping uniformity). Also, the road uniform of the second black-based set includes white socks.

One important point: this is not intended to be a Titans situation where all of these combinations would be used. We presented them all because, well, we thought they looked pretty good and we wanted you to see all the possibilities.

Okay...there's your visual explanation. And now for the visual presentation...

NOsaintsblacks2.png

NOsaintsgolds.png

NOsaintsblacks.png

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I really, really like this. When skyaa mentioned "white helmet" I kinda grimaced, but it really works. It might be a little hard to tell on this template, but the way the sleeve striping works creates the crescent shape, no? Very well done.

Wow. Just wow. Every one of those combinations looks great. While you said it's not meant to go "Tennessee Titans" with the combos, I wouldn't mind if they did. Fantastic work and fantastic job to the both of you.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I really like the gold set, but the black shirt with white helmet and white pants looks very sharp as well. I do not like the white shirt over black pants or the black on black. The monochromatic look is not goo on any team. I think teams should be dark on top, light on bottom in football at home and just switch for the away version.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

TechJerseySig.gif

These are very nice concepts, surprisingly, I love the white helmet. Great job both of you!

i love the white helmet too.

the Gold set is great and unique. he's my favourite.

Black jersey with white pants is coming at second place.

maybe you can proposed this concept to the saints organization...

great job you guys !

GEAUX SAINTS !!!

This is some great work. I was a little weary while reading the intro, but it looks good. I like what you guys did with the gold, and the white helmet and pants are working surprisingly well. I can't decide which I like best, this is one of a few gold jerseys that look good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This a great concept but what about a real color change ?

Ad some Purple to the black/gold (purple=mardi gras, old NO Jazz, NO Voodoo...) or use some blue.

Blue ? Why ??

Because of the french heritage in Louisiana (blue, red, white are the french flag colors).

Cleveland Cavaliers colors can be great for the saints : Navy blue, red & vegas gold.

Or the quebec nordiques colors : light blue, red, white (and they use a fleur de lys as there secondary logo)

What do you think about that change....

GEAUX SAINTS !!!

This a great concept but what about a real color change ?

Ad some Purple to the black/gold (purple=mardi gras, old NO Jazz, NO Voodoo...) or use some blue.

Blue ? Why ??

Because of the french heritage in Louisiana (blue, red, white are the french flag colors).

Cleveland Cavaliers colors can be great for the saints : Navy blue, red & vegas gold.

Or the quebec nordiques colors : light blue, red, white (and they use a fleur de lys as there secondary logo)

What do you think about that change....

GEAUX SAINTS !!!

Interesting you mention purple...because for a real brief time I actually discussed with my comrade skyAA1 the possibility of swapping out all the black for a really deep, really dark purplish hue, for the very same reason you mentioned (the tie-in to Mardi Gras)...but, the thing about that is that there's another team in the NFL that--no, actually three--that use those colors, gold and purple. One uses a yellow for its gold; the other uses Vegas with its purple. So, gold and the familiar black it is. For now... :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

White helmet is sweet. Would be interesting to see them on the field. Not as fond of the unis however.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Although well executed, I just don't find this aesthetically pleasing. The gold fleur-de-lis I don't think works too well on the white shell. I don't care for the font chosen at all. And as much as I don't like the all black pants currently used, this version with the bold gold stripe is a little too old school for my taste.

I think with the rebuilding of the city, the team should reflect the city's fresh start. Time to look forward, not back.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I could see the helmets working out, but I've never been a fan at all of black pants and that numeric font kills me.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived