Youkilis wearing a replica?

HurricaneDavid

During ALCS game 5 in Cleveland, I noticed the Kevin Youkilis's sleeve had the Majestic wordmark under the Majestic logo. Isn't the wordmark only on replica jerseys? I'd never seen this before on a player's jersey. You can kind of make it out in this pic... it was more apparent during the TV coverage.

77357793.jpg

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

There have been instances of this sort of thing happening before. In the MLB Style Guide PDF, Bill Henderson has a story about the day Mark McGwire came to the Cards in the trade deadline deal in 1997. The Cards were in Philly and the team didn't have any spare road jerseys, so they sent someone to the mall to buy a replica road Cardinals jersey and had the Phillies' seamstress add his name and number.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

So does that mean a replica Youkilis jersey is now considered an authentic since it was worn on the diamond?

i think so :)

if only it happened at fenway, it would have been more noticable, too... with the "replica font" for RED SOX, and the round holes.

So does that mean a replica Youkilis jersey is now considered an authentic since it was worn on the diamond?

i think so :)

if only it happened at fenway, it would have been more noticable, too... with the "replica font" for RED SOX, and the round holes.

And the fact that replica jerseys have names on the back, even for the Sox and Yanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There have been instances of this sort of thing happening before. In the MLB Style Guide PDF, Bill Henderson has a story about the day Mark McGwire came to the Cards in the trade deadline deal in 1997. The Cards were in Philly and the team didn't have any spare road jerseys, so they sent someone to the mall to buy a replica road Cardinals jersey and had the Phillies' seamstress add his name and number.

How about back at the 1985 All-Star Game, when Lou Whitaker forgot his uniform, so he got a not-so-good replica, and drew his number on the back with a marker. (Uniwatch reference)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Lukas addresses this today at Uni Watch. He has additional photos that lead me to believe that the "Majestic" wordmark we think we are seeing is just a shadow. He has additional photos from the Sox in Cleveland and you can clearly see the logo without the word "Majestic" on Youk's jersey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Lukas addresses this today at Uni Watch. He has additional photos that lead me to believe that the "Majestic" wordmark we think we are seeing is just a shadow. He has additional photos from the Sox in Cleveland and you can clearly see the logo without the word "Majestic" on Youk's jersey.

There were a few instances during the telecast where I was 95% certain the wordmark was under the logo. I only noticed it in ALCS game 5 though, don't know about game 4... and some of the pictures he uses for reference are from game 4. If only I had Tivoed the game...

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Archived