Indians never had a chance...

letsgomets1212

In the 1986 World Series, the Boston Red Sox were one out away from winning the championship. The game wasn't over, yet Shea Stadium accidentally put on the scoreboard "Congratulations Boston Red Sox, 1986 World Champions." Everything that followed this goof is known well; the Mets made the most miraculous comeback ever to win the game and series. That sign on the scoreboard jinxed the Sox.

Well I believe the Indians fell victim to a jinxing this year as well. They were up 3-1 in the series. They were a couple hours away from starting Game 5. The were on the verge of winning the series. Although according to MLB.com, they already had. On MLB's homepage, they had a link to a page on MLB Shop where you could purchase, what else, Cleveland Indians American League Championship gear. After this goof, the Indians went on to lose 3 in a row and the series.

Call it coincidence, but the Indians were jinxed just as the Red Sox were in '86, and they both suffered the same fate.

A jinx is a scapegoat to blame when a team fails or continues to fail at something. The Indians had plenty of chances and choked on nearly all of them. They had the Sox on the ropes, and had three games to seal the deal. They lost all three. Blame whatever coincidences you want, Cleveland blew their chance at a World Series appearance. Either that, or the Sox finally woke up after thinking they would have an easy ALCS and found themselves down 3-1

No the Indians were cursed but not because of any signs or anything on MLB.com. They were jinxed because they had Kenny Lofton on their team. Take a look at his post-season history.

? 1995: Lost to Atlanta in six games, final out of series.

? 1996: Lost to Baltimore in ALDS despite being heavily favored and at home.

? 1997: Lost to Florida in NLCS despite being favored and with home

field advantage.

? 1998: Blew 2-1 lead to New York in ALCS.

? 1999: Blew 2-0 lead to Boston in ALDS, Pedro's epic Game 5.

? 2001: Blew 2-1 lead and a lead late in Game 5 to Seattle in ALDS.

? 2002: Blew 3-2 lead, Game 6 lead in World Series to Angels. Final out

of series.

? 2003: Bartman.

? 2004: Blew 3-0 lead to Boston in ALCS.

? 2006: Swept by Mets.

? 2007: Blew 3-1 lead to Boston in ALCS.

http://deadspin.com/sports/alcs/kenny-loft...lose-313549.php

No the Indians were cursed but not because of any signs or anything on MLB.com. They were jinxed because they had Kenny Lofton on their team. Take a look at his post-season history.
? 1995: Lost to Atlanta in six games, final out of series.

? 1996: Lost to Baltimore in ALDS despite being heavily favored and at home.

? 1997: Lost to Florida in NLCS despite being favored and with home

field advantage.

? 1998: Blew 2-1 lead to New York in ALCS.

? 1999: Blew 2-0 lead to Boston in ALDS, Pedro's epic Game 5.

? 2001: Blew 2-1 lead and a lead late in Game 5 to Seattle in ALDS.

? 2002: Blew 3-2 lead, Game 6 lead in World Series to Angels. Final out

of series.

? 2003: Bartman.

? 2004: Blew 3-0 lead to Boston in ALCS.

? 2006: Swept by Mets.

? 2007: Blew 3-1 lead to Boston in ALCS.

http://deadspin.com/sports/alcs/kenny-loft...lose-313549.php

So Lofton's made the playoffs 11 times in the past 13 seasons? That's quite impressive for someone who bounces from team-to-team like he has.

Of course he's also 0 for 11 in terms of world titles won.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Indians lost because The Red Sox are better than they are. It's that simple.

It's so difficult to close out a series and the Red Sox aren't phased when their back's are against the wall and the Indians inexperience and I think that makes for the recipe that lost the Indians this series. I would agree that the Red Sox are a bit better, but they're not that much better to outscore them 30-5 over the last three games. If the rest of the team was following the same thought process as Ryan Garko (about champagne tasting just as sweet on the road), then that would be a big part of why they lost.

They'll be back... they're too good and young not to.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't believe in curses. Of course there is some luck winning a game, but curses?

You play baseball and I play baseball, if I beat you, there isn't any curse. Simply I beat you.

Where was the curse when the Red Sox beat the Yanks in 2004?

I think the Indians will be champions in few years, they managed to assemble a young, good team. There isn't any curse, simply long years of bad baseball like the Red Sox.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived