Pro Football HOF Finalists

Mac the Knife

CANTON, OH ?Wide receiver Cris Carter and cornerback Darrell Green are the only first-year eligible players to make the list of 26 semi-finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame?s Class of 2008. The Hall of Fame?s Board of Selectors chose the 26 semi-finalists from the recently announced list of 124 preliminary nominees. The list includes one more than the required 25 since there was a tie for the twenty-fifth position. Hall of Fame selection by-laws provide for the inclusion of all ties for the twenty-fifth position on the ballot.

Nominees included on the semi-finalist list for the first time, although eligible prior to this year, include linebacker Rickey Jackson and defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy. Each of the remaining 22 nominees has been on the semi-finalist list at least once prior to this year.

The complete list of 26 modern-era semi-finalists is as follows:

Cris Carter, WR ? 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Terrell Davis, RB ? 1995-2001 Denver Broncos

Dermontti Dawson, C ? 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Fred Dean, DE ? 1975-1981 San Diego Chargers, 1981-85 San Francisco 49ers

Richard Dent, DE ? 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Randy Gradishar, LB ? 1974-1983 Denver Broncos

Darrell Green, CB ? 1983-2002 Washington Redskins

Kevin Greene, LB/DE ? 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers

Russ Grimm, G ? 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Ray Guy, P ? 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

Charles Haley, DE/LB ? 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

Lester Hayes, CB ? 1977-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

Rickey Jackson, LB ? 1981-1993 New Orleans Saints, 1994-95 San Francisco 49ers

Joe Jacoby, T ? 1981-1993 Washington Redskins

Cortez Kennedy, DT ? 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Bob Kuechenberg, G ? 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

Randall McDaniel, G ? 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-01 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Art Monk, WR ? 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles

Andre Reed, WR ?1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Ken Stabler, QB ? 1970-79 Oakland Raiders, 1980-81 Houston Oilers, 1982-84 New Orleans Saints

Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner ? 1989-2006 National Football League

Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR ? 1985-1986 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills

Derrick Thomas, LB ? 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Andre Tippett, LB ? 1982-1993 New England Patriots

George Young, GM/Administrator ? 1968-1974 Baltimore Colts, 1975-78 Miami Dolphins, 1979-1997 New York Giants, 1998-2001 National Football League

Gary Zimmerman, T ? 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-97 Denver Broncos

The list of 26 semi-finalists will be reduced by mail ballot to 15 modern-era candidates. That list will increase to 17 finalist nominees with the inclusion of the two recommended candidates of the Hall of Fame?s Seniors Committee. The Seniors Committee nominees, who were announced in August, are Marshall Goldberg and Emmitt Thomas. Goldberg, a multi-purpose back starred with the Chicago Cardinals (1939-1943, 1946-48). Thomas, an all-league cornerback played 13 seasons (1966-1978) for the Kansas City Chiefs.

The results of the modern-era reduction vote to 15 finalists will be announced in mid-January.

To be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a nominated player or coach must have been retired at least five years. A contributor, who is a nominee who has made outstanding contributions to pro football in capacities other than playing and coaching, may still be active in his pro football career.

This is the first year that coaches are affected by the mandatory five-year waiting period; one of three significant changes to the selection process by-laws approved by the Hall of Fame?s Board of Trustees effective this year. The other major changes include increasing the minimum and maximum number of nominees that can be elected from a minimum of three and a maximum of six, to a minimum of four and a maximum of seven. The Board of Trustees also approved an increase in the number of selectors on the Selection Committee from 40 to 44.

The Class of 2008 will be determined at the Selection Committee's annual meeting on Saturday, February 2, 2008, in Phoenix, Arizona the day before Super Bowl XLII. The election results are announced immediately following the meeting at a press conference at the media headquarters.

nav-logo.png

Quick and dirty, my guess on the 15 they whittle it down to:

Cris Carter

Fred Dean

Richard Dent

Randy Gradishar

Darrell Green

Russ Grimm

Ray Guy

Charles Haley

Lester Hayes

Bob Kuechenberg

Art Monk

Andre Reed

Ken Stabler

Paul Tagliabue

George Young

Of the 15, I personally think about 11 or so are worthy - not of finalist selection, but for the HOF itself.

nav-logo.png

Put in Tasker and Monk, keep out Terrel Davis, and I'm happy.

What do you have against TD getting in the HOF?

If there were a hall of fame for running backs who were great for a couple of seasons, Davis would be the first guy in, alongside Priest Holmes, Jamal Anderson, and a bunch of others. However, four and a half good years does not a hall of fame career make. He's 42nd in all-time rushing yards, and 35th in all-time TDs. That's a lot better than most running backs, but best of all time? I'm not sure I buy that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Put in Tasker and Monk, keep out Terrel Davis, and I'm happy.

What do you have against TD getting in the HOF?

If there were a hall of fame for running backs who were great for a couple of seasons, Davis would be the first guy in, alongside Priest Holmes, Jamal Anderson, and a bunch of others. However, four and a half good years does not a hall of fame career make. He's 42nd in all-time rushing yards, and 35th in all-time TDs. That's a lot better than most running backs, but best of all time? I'm not sure I buy that.

Being in the HOF doesn't mean best of all time, just means he was ONE of the best to play, and he was. Gale Sayers is in the HOF, so therefore Davis deserves to be as well. TD was the MAIN reason Denver won two super bowls.

Being in the HOF doesn't mean best of all time, just means he was ONE of the best to play, and he was. Gale Sayers is in the HOF, so therefore Davis deserves to be as well. TD was the MAIN reason Denver won two super bowls.

Yeah, those are the two most common arguments. However,

1.) Just because votes made a mistake in the past doesn't mean they should make it again in the future.

2.) That's a good reason for him to be in the Denver Bronco hall of fame. Jeff Hosttetler and Ottis Anderson were the main reason the Giants won Super Bowl 25. Should they be in the Hall of Fame? Desmond Howard was the MVP of Super Bowl 31. Should he be in the Hall of Fame? What about Doug Williams? Timmy Smith? Mark Rypien? All of those guys were instrumental in Super Bowls, yet none of them are sniffing the Hall of Fame. Ricky Watters has better NFL statistics than Terrell Davis. Should he be in the Hall of Fame?

If I were a big Broncos fan, I would want Terrell in as well. You make a decent case for it. However, I think you can make a better case for his exclusion. I don't think the NFL should be in the business of projecting the careers of stars who get injured early. They did it for Gale Sayers, but that was before the heyday of great NFL backs. Now, there are simply too many have flashes of greatness for us to put every single one in the Hall of Fame. If Terrell can be easily replaced statistically by the likes of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell, really, how good was he?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1.) Just because votes made a mistake in the past doesn't mean they should make it again in the future.

2.) That's a good reason for him to be in the Denver Bronco hall of fame. Jeff Hosttetler and Ottis Anderson were the main reason the Giants won Super Bowl 25. Should they be in the Hall of Fame? Desmond Howard was the MVP of Super Bowl 31. Should he be in the Hall of Fame? What about Doug Williams? Timmy Smith? Mark Rypien? All of those guys were instrumental in Super Bowls, yet none of them are sniffing the Hall of Fame. Ricky Watters has better NFL statistics than Terrell Davis. Should he be in the Hall of Fame?

If I were a big Broncos fan, I would want Terrell in as well. You make a decent case for it. However, I think you can make a better case for his exclusion. I don't think the NFL should be in the business of projecting the careers of stars who get injured early. They did it for Gale Sayers, but that was before the heyday of great NFL backs. Now, there are simply too many have flashes of greatness for us to put every single one in the Hall of Fame. If Terrell can be easily replaced statistically by the likes of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell, really, how good was he?

Well, it has to do with the fact that he was the reason the Broncos won TWO super bowls, went 13-3 in 1996 & 14-2 in 1998. He holds all the Broncos rushing records and he only played 5 FULL seasons. He had a 2,000 yard season, holds the NFL record for most rushing yards in a single season including postseason. A serious knee injury cut his career short and although it's not right to put a guy in there for a possible 'projected' career, I believe he should get in on the career that he actually had.

On the note about Davis producing as much as any other of Denver's 'system' backs, he would have been a great back behind any line in the league, there's really no doubt about that. All the other backs that came out of the Denver system haven't produced like they did there, and even Portis hasn't been close to what he was when he played for the Broncos.

I don't think he should get in first ballot, but I think he should eventually get in.

Ricky Watters has better NFL statistics than Terrell Davis. Should he be in the Hall of Fame?

If Terrell can be easily replaced statistically by the likes of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell, really, how good was he?

Until reading these two statements/questions, I could see Davis in the Hall. But now that I've thought about it in those terms, I don't think he should be. Maybe had he played 5 more years, but as it is there's just not enough of a track record there to say for certainty that he's HOF worthy.

nav-logo.png

Gayle Sayers' inshrinement was a mistake?? WOW

When was Jeff Hostetler the main reason the Giants won that Super Bowl?

Which of those other Bronco running backs ran for 2,000 yards (while missing 2 games worth of action in blowouts), won an MVP, won a Super Bowl MVP, won back to back Super Bowls, was the best player in the league for multiple seasons?!?! Come on! There's certainly an argument for that system- but the results TD had cannot be denied.

TD was a phenomonal postseason running back. 8 games, 7 times over 100 yards (once at 91), 1100 yards and 12 scores. How many guys gave you 140 yards and 1.5 tds EVERY game in the postseason?!?!!

TD wasn't a guy who had a couple nice seasons- he was the best player in the NFL for a couple of seasons- that HAS to count for something. When you are better than all others that do your job and injury cuts what you do short- it has to be considered.

What if something happened to Tom Brady before this season and he couldn't play again? Would you say he's NOT a hall of famer because he only played a few seasons? Gawsh, I know he was instrumental in winning a couple of Super Bowls, but they barely won them. Heck, that Brady guy is 20 TDs and a ton of completions away from being in the top 50 in either category....overall statistics are nice- but if they told the whole story of a players' worthiness, Monk, Guy (and a slew of others) would have been in eons ago.

jongarlanduj6.jpg

Archived