Official AFL season 2008 thread

kingroadz

Rumour mill suggests the AFL has asked for submissions from Reebok, Puma, Adidas, Nike, Diadora and ISC to be sole providers of AFL uniforms.

This would be for the 2010 season and beyond.

The guy shopping it around used to work for UEFA and the 2010 South Africa World Cup.

Apparently one have already told them "not interested, doesn't fit our strategy".

It was most likely the one who dropped a few AFL clubs in the last year or two.

ISC :wacko:

Oh dear is all I can say to that. Great to support an Australian company and all but seriously, they have produced ugly outdated designs for just about every team they've touched.

liverpool-1.png

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rumour mill suggests the AFL has asked for submissions from Reebok, Puma, Adidas, Nike, Diadora and ISC to be sole providers of AFL uniforms.

This would be for the 2010 season and beyond.

The guy shopping it around used to work for UEFA and the 2010 South Africa World Cup.

Apparently one have already told them "not interested, doesn't fit our strategy".

It was most likely the one who dropped a few AFL clubs in the last year or two.

ISC :wacko:

Oh dear is all I can say to that. Great to support an Australian company and all but seriously, they have produced ugly outdated designs for just about every team they've touched.

Perhaps their inclusion was based them already being the supplier to Geelong.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Is Diadora with the Bulldogs?

And what happened to Sekem?

Asics?

Piping hot anyone?

Why not shop it round to Billabong or Rip Curl why they're at it??

Heck the way that the players squeeze into their jumpers these days; the AFL may as well get Speedo to make team colour versions of the LZR Racer suits.

From a purely merchandise point of view, standard jersey and associated merch is always bad news.

The prices usually go up and the designs usually stink.

The price never seems right either.

but i suppose AFL is a bit different in that teams hardly ever make changes to their (home) jumpers and teams want to keep their identity. Away jumpers are different. So I can't see the jumpers being all that standard apart from the collars. I mean, if companies could do what they like, Collingwood and Adelaide would have three adidas stripes. The shorts might end up being rather generic.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Is Diadora with the Bulldogs?

And what happened to Sekem?

Asics?

Piping hot anyone?

Yeah, Diadora is Footscray's supplier.

Sekem haven't officially made jumpers since 1996, but actually made the Piping Hot St.Kilda jumpers, as well as the Bont North Melbourne jumpers. They also made the Freo jumpers when they couldn't find an apparel sponsor.

They also have a 40 year licence from 1977 to make jumpers for the clubs.

Obviously, this expires in 2016.

That's why you find their cheaper versions of jumpers in cheaper stores, and the Official AFL ones in AFL Stores.

Another minor player is Kombat, who do all the VFL jumpers.

They're a Queensland company who do a lot of teams, but it remains to be seen whether they have the dough to get involved at a higher level.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Kombat's too small I think to afford it. They do my brothers footy team and they're jumpers are thick as. Sekem also did sponsor St Kilda between Puma and Piping Hot. I got one of them jumpers.

Looked it up, you're right, 2002 & 2003.

1997 was when the AFL allowed the manufacturers to advertise.

Sekem had most of the clubs prior to this, with Puma and adidas being the only big overseas companies who signed clubs up.

They also made the Piping Hot jumpers & other gear as well.

Piping Hot just made the T-Shirts & other off-field stuff

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

But there was a big difference between Sekem making our jumpers (they were thick) and Sekem making Piping Hot jumpers (which were thinner) I suppose technology advancements. Because prior to Sekem we had Puma and I still have a Puma cross jumper and thats pretty thick (and small). Was asics their own jumpers?

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

But there was a big difference between Sekem making our jumpers (they were thick) and Sekem making Piping Hot jumpers (which were thinner) I suppose technology advancements. Because prior to Sekem we had Puma and I still have a Puma cross jumper and thats pretty thick (and small). Was asics their own jumpers?

Asics jumpers were made by a place out my way called Rider Sportswear.

http://www.ridersportswear.com.au/

They do a lot of the EFL jumpers.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 1 month later...
Nike looks to have the jumpers for the Hall of Fame Match.

Is there a better picture than the headshots of McLeod and Brown on the AFL website? Obviously the Vics will be wearing the V, but what about the Dream Team?

Is there a better picture than the headshots of McLeod and Brown on the AFL website? Obviously the Vics will be wearing the V, but what about the Dream Team?

And on cue, here they are...

0,,5954639,00.jpg

From http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...-19742,00.html:

The Dream Team guernsey, as its central feature, carries the names of the 1246 community and grass roots clubs that play country, regional and metropolitan football in the states and territories that comprise the Dream Team& nbsp;- Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, the Northern Territory, Queensland, New South Wales and the ACT.

Each player from the Dream Team will have his home state emblem on his guernsey.

:wacko: What a shocker.

Sudden thought - think Mero will be happy to know that he only has to fit 1246 club names onto his template? :D

The Dream Team? I don't know what they were thinking, unless the emblem is going to be big across the chest.

That's one possibility I had not thought of - I was thinking more like a small patch on the back of the neck. This idea would make a lot more sense, in fact, although the colours could be a bit all over the place.

Archived