Miami Marlins

smith03

I thought the new Sharks' teal was distinctly more green, and aquamarine is brighter. I'm grabbing for straws here. Basically, I want the Marlins to look different.

Just for comparison's sake:

FloridaMarlinsTeal_SOL.jpgMiamiDolphinsAqua_SOL.jpgSanJoseSharksTeal_SOL.jpg

And throw up the Eagles "Midnight Green" :D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And to fall in line with "Back To The Future II" they have to move to the American League by 2015 so they can play the Cubs in the World Series.

lmao. Right. If that happens then Back To The Future II will win the Oscar for "Best Movie of All Time," just to make it official.

That being said, if the only change that comes from this is that they go to the old BP cap logo, and add more teal, I'll be happy.

I thought the new Sharks' teal was distinctly more green, and aquamarine is brighter. I'm grabbing for straws here. Basically, I want the Marlins to look different.

I dont know, those colors actually seem pretty differemt to me. I'd like to see something darker as well as the orange highlight. Its a moot point anyways, since a new stadium for the Marlins will probably be in Portland and I dont see them switching to Miami in that case.

And throw up the Eagles "Midnight Green" :D

OK...

PhiladelphiaEaglesMidnightGreen_SOL.jpg

I dont know, those colors actually seem pretty differemt to me. I'd like to see something darker as well as the orange highlight. Its a moot point anyways, since a new stadium for the Marlins will probably be in Portland and I dont see them switching to Miami in that case.

Sure - they're different, but my point was that colors in the "aqua" family are awfully similar to colors in the "teal" family.

I'm not sure how one is necessarily "better" than the other.

For the record: I actually don't see anything wrong with Teal/Aqua. If it hadn't been so overdone in the '80s and '90s, maybe it wouldn't be so offensive to many of you.

Sure - they're different, but my point was that colors in the "aqua" family are awfully similar to colors in the "teal" family.

I'm not sure how one is necessarily "better" than the other.

For the record: I actually don't see anything wrong with Teal/Aqua. If it hadn't been so overdone in the '80s and '90s, maybe it wouldn't be so offensive to many of you.

I agree. The fact that is was so huge in the 90s, and the Marlins managed to stick it out, it seems cooler now. It helps that they didn't pair it with purple or yellow. I have to say, those teal hats and helmets seemed an awful bit lighter than than color above. Maybe it was the sun.

David Samson has a radio show on 790 The Ticket and he went on record saying the team's colors are orange and black. No mention of teal. And by the looks of all the team's promotions, tickets, ads, etc. looks like it's true.

Was he referring to the future? Because their colors are definitely teal and black, primarily.

1022.gif

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

David Samson has a radio show on 790 The Ticket and he went on record saying the team's colors are orange and black. No mention of teal. And by the looks of all the team's promotions, tickets, ads, etc. looks like it's true.

I hope that they don't blow it by removing teal and just going with orange & black.

They should go with the uniqueness of wearing teal, otherwise they will look like the Giants or the Orioles.

A black and orange Marlin logo...now thats an eyesore, lets go with Teal and a silver trim.

You could check out anytime you like, but you could never leave.

What does he mean by "the team colors ARE..."? They certainly AREN'T now:

FloridaMarlins_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

Everyone forgets that there's Silver in there as well.

Oh - and who the heck is David Samson?

I agree. The fact that is was so huge in the 90s, and the Marlins managed to stick it out, it seems cooler now. It helps that they didn't pair it with purple or yellow. I have to say, those teal hats and helmets seemed an awful bit lighter than than color above. Maybe it was the sun.

It seems pretty bright to me...could have been the sun I guess.

Here's their Teal - using the fabric/textile color:

FloridaMarlinsTeal_TEX.jpg

Wonder if we'll see a form of this old BP cap logo:

1021.gif

I hope not. That's a lazy bit of non-design. If they take that basic concept and design the M to work on the cap with the fish as a standalone letter, great. But just taking the M off the jersey script and slapping it on the cap? Not good.

20082614447.png

Depends on what your definition of "is" is.

To speak seriously for a moment, I think it is a mistake to say that a team's colors "are" the official Pantone values in the MLB style guide. I mean, plenty of teams say their official shades of blue are relatively light, but they actually take the field wearing Yankees midnight blue ballcaps. Which "is" the team's color, the shade of blue the team says it uses, or the shade of blue it actually uses? A case can be made for both, depending on the contest, but there is simply no defensible case for saying that the team's colors only are what the team claims they are regardless of actual usage.

I come down on the side of actual usage, personally, but I would certainly put a statement of intended usage by someone who runs the team ahead of the color definitions in the official stylebook. I mean, right now teal is "officially" a primary Marlins color, right? But if you were to show the Marlins uniforms to 100 people who didn't know about the team's history, how many of them would say teal is a primary Marlins color? I submit very close to zero. The team actually wears black and silver. And if the team starts putting more orange into its identity, then its colors will be black and orange, and it sort of won't matter whether the stylebook lists orange only as a secondary color.

Unless, of course, one's definition of "is" is one that looks only at the official-on-paper color designations, not actual team use of colors in uniforms or self-identified promotional materials and the like.

Which is all just to show that it depends on what your definition of "is" is. When the team itself says the team colors are black and orange, and the team actually wears black and silver, and some official guide says the team colors are black and teal, what "are" the team's colors? It's more a philosophical conundrum about the nature of knowledge and truth than it is a factually answerable question. B)

20082614447.png

Everyone forgets that there's Silver in there as well.

Oh - and who the heck is David Samson?

David Samson is team president.

Pantone, it may be in the style guide. But the writing is on the walls. This team is moving farther and farther away from the color teal everyday. You see it in the uniforms, you see it on the tickets, promotions, stadium banners, ads on TV and in the newspaper. Every season now it (the color orange) has crept in more and more in the place of where teal should be used. The style guide may not show it, but as of right now, orange, black and silver are the 'colors of preference' of the Florida Marlins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teal dropped altogether from the official style guide when the team relocates to Miami.

1997 | 2003

Depends on what your definition of "is" is.

To speak seriously for a moment, I think it is a mistake to say that a team's colors "are" the official Pantone values in the MLB style guide. I mean, plenty of teams say their official shades of blue are relatively light, but they actually take the field wearing Yankees midnight blue ballcaps. Which "is" the team's color, the shade of blue the team says it uses, or the shade of blue it actually uses? A case can be made for both, depending on the contest, but there is simply no defensible case for saying that the team's colors only are what the team claims they are regardless of actual usage.

I come down on the side of actual usage, personally, but I would certainly put a statement of intended usage by someone who runs the team ahead of the color definitions in the official stylebook. I mean, right now teal is "officially" a primary Marlins color, right? But if you were to show the Marlins uniforms to 100 people who didn't know about the team's history, how many of them would say teal is a primary Marlins color? I submit very close to zero. The team actually wears black and silver. And if the team starts putting more orange into its identity, then its colors will be black and orange, and it sort of won't matter whether the stylebook lists orange only as a secondary color.

Unless, of course, one's definition of "is" is one that looks only at the official-on-paper color designations, not actual team use of colors in uniforms or self-identified promotional materials and the like.

Which is all just to show that it depends on what your definition of "is" is. When the team itself says the team colors are black and orange, and the team actually wears black and silver, and some official guide says the team colors are black and teal, what "are" the team's colors? It's more a philosophical conundrum about the nature of knowledge and truth than it is a factually answerable question. B)

Bottom line: there IS Teal in the logos, caps and uniforms of the Marlins presently, and the only Orange is in the stitching of the baseball in the logo.

Until that changes - i.e., actually putting Orange into the identity - the colors are Black, Marlin Blue, Silver and White, with Orange as an additional color only used in the logos.

They can claim Orange as a color when they actually start putting it into the uniforms.

Pantone, it may be in the style guide. But the writing is on the walls. This team is moving farther and farther away from the color teal everyday. You see it in the uniforms, you see it on the tickets, promotions, stadium banners, ads on TV and in the newspaper. Every season now it (the color orange) has crept in more and more in the place of where teal should be used. The style guide may not show it, but as of right now, orange, black and silver are the 'colors of preference' of the Florida Marlins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teal dropped altogether from the official style guide when the team relocates to Miami.

Again, that's all fine and dandy...but until they actually start putting Orange into the uniforms, it's going to be a secondary color.

Why are you all argueing with me about this? I list colors not only based on the Style Guide, but what is actually worn on-field. I couldn't give a crap if they sell an Orange cap, or a plaid shirt, the colors are going to be listed as they are being used.

As I've explained countless times, the teams not only list Pantone Solid colors for each team, but also Pantone Textile colors, Robison-Anton thread colors, Madeira thread colors, FuFu thread colors, etc. These are NOT one-to-one relationships (a lot of the times) to the Solid/Spot equivalents. Sure, the Yankees, Cardinals, Angels, Tigers, Red Sox, et al use a darker shade of Navy (Textile color) than the Indians, Twins, Rays, Mariners, etc. Those differences ARE listed in the Style Guide.

These are standards that uniform manufacturers adhere to.

Bottom line: there IS Teal in the logos, caps and uniforms of the Marlins presently, and the only Orange is in the stitching of the baseball in the logo.

Don't forget this:

1025.gif

I was in Miami when they unveiled this, although I'm glad I've never seen it much since.

I'm with you Pantone. Samson can say black and orange if he wants, but what they actually use now is black with silver and, to a lesser extent, teal highlights.

Archived