Detroit lions proposed logo

CDunn

The introduction of black does nothing to the logo, just like it does nothing for the 49ers. Just the trendy thing to do I guess. This proposed design has potential but not a good fit for the Detroit Lions.

If they were to update the logo, it would have to have a "classic" look to it. The current logo could use a little tweak. Growing up, I always thought the lion was licking it's paw. There needs to be more separation between the mouth and the raised paw in my opinion. Can't beat the colors though, especially with their throwbacks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a good logo is one that survives through what becomes trendy or 'in'. the lions logo does that.

i'm done.

I totally agree but I don't think the Lions logo has survived for as long as what I would call a "classic".  A classic is of course the Yankees logo, the Celtics, Steelers, Lakers, etc.

Can you tell me when this "leaping lion" logo was introduced?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Okay, the Lions logo maybe referred to as a classic but nowhere does it compare to the other classics.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Well I guess you got me there.  The Detroit Lions logo is a classic.  With that said would we all consider it a good looking classic or even one that will work for years and years to come.  How's the Detroit Lions sales doing with memorabilia, clothes, ticket sales, etc?  I guess they can just get over-looked easily on a national scale since their not one of the most popular teams in pro sports.

Retired Number's To Come

i thought i would iadd my opinion to this argument.

i love the logo of the lions from 2 years ago. i aslo love the 50's and 60's unis. however, if they wanted to update their look, they should have gone with this look and not ruin a wicked logo with black. the lions have to change their unis now, and their are three opitions open to them

1) go back to their unis from 2 years ago

2) adopt this proposed logo and desighn new unis

3) go back to the "paper-lion" unis

joel_fiasco, sorry, but the title for the most loyal fans would gp to leafs fans   :D

and whats wrong with the cfl  ???

their update was nearly perfect.

?

How is splashing black onto a uniform in a half-assed fashion "nearly perfect"? What they did to that uniform was a travesty.

How is a lack of white a killer for the throwbacks? THey look great, even better than the uniforms with the white in it... What makes no-white bad?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

their update was nearly perfect.

?

How is splashing black onto a uniform in a half-assed fashion "nearly perfect"? What they did to that uniform was a travesty.

How is a lack of white a killer for the throwbacks? THey look great, even better than the uniforms with the white in it... What makes no-white bad?

I just think they need all they needed with the black, and I think it looks great minus the collars.

As long as their other jersey is white, then their blue jersey needs to have white in it. That's just a general guidline I have. You can just abandon white there.

My poll is better for the sake of the argument I had with joel_fiasco & J. Quincy King.

Retired Number's To Come

My poll is better for the sake of the argument I had with joel_fiasco & J. Quincy King.

i know, but my poll was combining the argument u were having and the original meaning of this thread. do u like the lions current stillhouse with black? do u like it without the black, or do u like the proposed log? i didnt mean to steal ur thunder.

You're fine.  I just wanted the users to understand why there's two.

Retired Number's To Come

DartLogo Posted on Feb. 10 2004,11:16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good lord. Can't we leave alone some teams? Joel_f is right. They are fine as they are.

thank you!

on a side note, why do sales and merchandising need to be brought into this discussion.....

bs2282 Posted on Feb. 09 2004,17:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I guess you got me there.  The Detroit Lions logo is a classic.  With that said would we all consider it a good looking classic or even one that will work for years and years to come.  How's the Detroit Lions sales doing with memorabilia, clothes, ticket sales, etc?  I guess they can just get over-looked easily on a national scale since their not one of the most popular teams in pro sports.

people are sheep and will buy anything that has to do with a WINNER. if the bills were winning super bowls, people would be buying their junkass jerseys like hotcakes.

like i stated before, the lions have a dedicated fan base and their ticket sales are fantastic, as they always have been (even when they played in the silverdome)

Some teams choose tradition, some choose to chase around marketing dollars.

Lets take the falcons and the packers.

The falcons have made several changes- all fairly distinctive; logo, helmet color, pants color, jersey colors, jersey styles, etc. to always try and be modern, hip, and to sell merch.

The packers, over the past 50 years, have changed a couple stripes, and thats about it.

In this vein, I say, go for it with a Falcons redesign. They WANT to be more hip, more progressive, and need to chace the fans. Want to make a new packers logo? Sir you are crazy. They sell out games in below freezing temps, and their design is a classic, traditional one.

Lions fall into the second category. Period.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

lary032001.jpg

yale lary played with the lions in the 50's and 60's.....if that's not classic, what is?

And in case anyone is wondering, yes - this is my namesake.  My dad spent part of his childhood in Detroit and was a Lions fan until the Cardinals showed up in St. Louis.  He always liked this guy's name and thus I wound up with it.

Archived