Detroit lions proposed logo

CDunn

I was on Logoserver looking for 49er scripts for Iron Crossover and saw this proposed lions logo on a helmet. I hadn't seen it before, have you. Anybody know when this logo is from and if it still has a chance to be used? It looks pretty good.  A lot of the NFL logos now have a certain style to them, and this fits that.  That's not really a good thing, but I like this logo from what I can see. Proposed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was floating around about 3 years ago. I think they were planing on using it but it got some neagtive reaction and they decided better and stuck with tradition.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm a fan of the current lion. They just need to kill that black, and simplify, and they'd have a killer look...

i like the old logo as well, but if ur going to update your look, just dont add a black outline and be done with it. if the the lions were so hell-bent on adding black to their look, they should have gone with this logo.

the lions have a great look, and a great simple logo. they shouldnt change it at all. plus that lion looks like the jacksonville jaguar to me, theyre too similar.

lions have a great logo, def. dont change it

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

the lions have a great look, and a great simple logo. they shouldnt change it at all.

The Lions were here first before the expansion - tradition is the key for the lions.  I agree with Pat, a great look is simple.

I've seen the New Lion, it would be great for a college or H.S. team, but not the NFL - too much tradition.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Yeah, I thought this logo design strongly resembled the "look" that the Jag's main logo has today. The whole helmet design I posted a long time ago:

Lions-Proposed.gif

You did an excellent job, Habs, of converting it to drawing

http://www.voy.com/53670/4/3286.html

I have tried for some time to read the descriptive comments in the picture...it appears to be "Pete S(something) Designs".

I also had meant to mention before that the 3rd Falcons prototype helmet you have...I can identify it! It was not a design group, according to WAGA-TV here in Atlanta. They did a short story on this (Nov 2000)...I had it on tape and lost it. THe designer of it was none other than Jamal Anderson. He apparently worked on it in his spare time while on injured reserve. They showed a large full-color mockup of the uniforms he designed. What was really cool was that Jamal had a helmet actually done (the red was a deep red metallic). While it was extreme, the logo was interesting. He drew some criticism from fans, though, who said he should have been working on rehabing his knee, not art. :)

The designer's name is Pete Soriano.

Soriano's design was a reasonably nice modern update, though I think it could have been even "tighter". It's always felt somewhat "unfinished" to me.

I would love to see a top-notch designer try to update the full-body lion... adding detail, etc.

The Lions' "add black" update is MISERABLE!

Brian in Boston

The logo itself is very nice, but again, it doesn't fit for Detroit.

The black additions could have been so nice... and they turned out mostly wrong.  The helmet's the only decent part, really.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well even if they did receive some criticism for the concept.....it's a lot better than what they have right now!  The Lions have needed a new identity for a long time now!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

the lions identity is classic, and it's something you just don't mess with.  the silhouette lion on the helmet is an enduring image that should never change.....the honolulu blue and silver make for some beautiful uniforms.....but, of course, i'm biased.

Why shouldn't it ever be changed?  We're not talking about a Boston Celtics or a New York Yankees.  This is the Detroit Lions and I hardly think that Lion helmet logo is a classic.  I just have a hard time appreciating it from a team who hasn't seen any success in a long time.  Everybody needs a new identity at some point and the Lions time has come.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Everybody needs a new identity at some point and the Lions time has come.

that's where you're wrong, my friend. not everyone needs a new identity.....tell yankees fans that the interlocking NY has to go....tell tigers fans that the olde english D has to be changed....tell packers fans to lose the G on their helmet.....tell bears fans to lose the C on theirs.....tell the cardinals that that bird on the bat looks stupid and they've had it long enough, so now it's time to change.

change, just for the sake of change makes absolutely no sense. especially when you have a classic image that everyone can identify in a quick glance. your argument is paper thin.....sorry.

Archived