Mats Sundin

zer0dotcom

For those of us living in the Toronto microcosm, you'd have to be living under a rock to have not heard about the rumours of Mats Sundin being traded from the Maple Leafs.

It's been a big year for Mats. He's become the highest scoring player (Goals and Points) in Leafs history, and at 36 (37 in 3 weeks) is 12th overall in league scoring with 48 points. He's obviously the best Maple Leaf on the team. There is one problem right now. Mats does not have a contract for next season. Therein lies all of the conflict.

Arguement #1 - Mats stays

Mats is the most popular player of this decade, and possibly one of the greatest Leafs ever. He's the team catalyst, and by far the most talented. So why trade him? If the Leafs are looking for a winner it makes no sense to trade away the best player on the team. Lots of people talk about youth for the future, you've got to look ahead. Mats is the best thing they have RIGHT NOW.

Arguement #2 - Mats is traded

As a GM, your job is to make your team the best it can be, not just for this season, but for the future as well. Mats Sundin does not have a contract. he is close to top 10 in league scoring. He has not won a Stanley Cup. How much is that a factor? Would he be willing to re-sign with Toronto to finish his career here?

Mats value is at it's peak. If the Leafs can get some young talent in exchange for him. Now we have a good idea of who is going to be making a run at the Cup, is it time to line things up, and see what you can get in exchange for Mats?

He's extremely popular, and this is a story that's been told the world over. Mats loves the Leafs, and I have no doubt he WANTS to be in Toronto. At what point though do you look and say, "I can better serve the team by being traded?"

Another Angle, much like Recchi and Weight, would the Leafs be able to trade Mats to a contender, let him have an honest shot at the Cup (face it, the Leafs aren't doing it anytime soon) and then he'll be willing to re-sign in the off-season and finish with Toronto? (the scenario I like best)

Ultimately, this is going to be the test of not only Mats and if he can get it done on a contending team, and if JFJ is really as stupid as the media thinks he is. If he makes a deal that works out for the Leafs, he might save his job. but inaction, or a poor deal would surely (hopefully, please god) put an end to his term as GM.

So, Leafs nation and hockey fans everywhere, how do you feel about Sundin possibly leaving Toronto? What would you demand if you were the GM looking for a trade?

Trade him to the Wings, he doesn't deserve this garbage. MLSE has never supported him the way they should've, he deserves a cup and has been a loyal and one of the best captains in club history. Get him a cup so he can retire 100% an undisputed champion.

untitled-6.jpg

MLSE has never supported him the way they should've, he deserves a cup

It may be hard to remember but the Leafs did have some pretty good teams during Mats' tenure with the club, including three trips to the Conference finals (1994, 1999, 2002)... they just could never get past that third round.

It's time to just start over -- management, roster, everything.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I think a move to a team like the Wild would be a gerat move for Mats. It may sound farfetched, but think about it - Minnesota is a very young team that needs a mentoring sparkplug to really make damage. Mats has been in the league a long time and has been one of the best players in the league for quite sometime. Just mix that with the young, fast talent in Minnesota and BOOM! You got yourself a scary team. And Mats would really become a role model there, I think. That would be his best move in my opinion.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I would trade Khabby for him. Corey Crawford should be ready to make the big club next year and that should be when this young team is ready to make a serious run.

Sundin is a free agent at the end of the season. Any team making a trade for him is going to do so because they want to make a run at the cup this year. The Hawks trading Khabibulin for Sundin would not help them make a run this year as they would be trading away their goaltender which they would need to make a run.

I would trade Khabby for him. Corey Crawford should be ready to make the big club next year and that should be when this young team is ready to make a serious run.

Sundin is a free agent at the end of the season. Any team making a trade for him is going to do so because they want to make a run at the cup this year. The Hawks trading Khabibulin for Sundin would not help them make a run this year as they would be trading away their goaltender which they would need to make a run.

And I think Toronto has enough goalies.

I thought Sundin had a year left on his deal, my bad. I am just so ready to part with Khabby. He continues to play with his old habits. Plays great when the team looks great, but when the team struggles, he lets in the softies.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

He will be going to a contender. Detroit has come up in most rumors as a destination (would be a good fit, thats for sure)... but I personally think going to Calgary would be the perfect fit. Imagine him and Iginla and Tanguay... my god, I think that alone could bring them back to the finals, if not get them the cup. They need a solid centre and he would provide it, a big improvement over Conroy, thats for sure. As for who they would give up... I cannot say as I am not familiar with their prospects. Daniel Ryder... if he ever returns to hockey... cough...

Another good fit could be Vancouver or Dallas, both of which could use a solid centre. I can't see many eastern teams which could use him (or we would give him to or he would accept a trade to.) I could see him going to Carolina though... or Philadelphia (even though there is a lot of bad blood with those two teams...).

Either way, I do believe he will be leaving us some time soon, hopefully with some worthy returns.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

He will be going to a contender. Detroit has come up in most rumors as a destination (would be a good fit, thats for sure)... but I personally think going to Calgary would be the perfect fit. Imagine him and Iginla and Tanguay... my god, I think that alone could bring them back to the finals, if not get them the cup. They need a solid centre and he would provide it, a big improvement over Conroy, thats for sure. As for who they would give up... I cannot say as I am not familiar with their prospects. Daniel Ryder... if he ever returns to hockey... cough...

Another good fit could be Vancouver or Dallas, both of which could use a solid centre. I can't see many eastern teams which could use him (or we would give him to or he would accept a trade to.) I could see him going to Carolina though... or Philadelphia (even though there is a lot of bad blood with those two teams...).

Either way, I do believe he will be leaving us some time soon, hopefully with some worthy returns.

I think he would be a great fit in Vancouver, and I would love to see him playing with Naslund. I think maybe Luc Bourdon, Ryan Shannon and some picks for Sundin would be good. The Canucks would probly have to throw in some others players so they don't go over the cap.

Big article in the Toronto Star today, saying that MLSE has limited JFJ's powers as GM. Maybe be an indicator that they want Sundin to stay and are willing to override the powers of their manager to do it. If Feuguson is in control, and Sundin is traded to Ottawa, then he'll be finished. A smart GM wouldn't trade him to any Northwest teams.

Detroit always seems like they make the late trades to keep themselves competitive, they do seem the obvious choice (though I can't for the life of me figure out who they would send) Calgary would be a good team, they are in good position to make a run this season, they have the talent around to support Sundin, I think it would be a good trade. Same with Vancouver. Both are in the middle of the conference, and very talented.

i think the red wings could maybe get him for Andreas Lilja and a couple prospects. with the swedes we have, Sundin would feel right at home and would immediately be on a contender. i definitely think ken holland our GM will make a deal to really try to push this team to a cup and Sundin would definitely be that type of player, i really hope we get him.

siggg.png

Big article in the Toronto Star today, saying that MLSE has limited JFJ's powers as GM. Maybe be an indicator that they want Sundin to stay and are willing to override the powers of their manager to do it. If Feuguson is in control, and Sundin is traded to Ottawa, then he'll be finished. A smart GM wouldn't trade him to any Northwest teams.

Detroit always seems like they make the late trades to keep themselves competitive, they do seem the obvious choice (though I can't for the life of me figure out who they would send) Calgary would be a good team, they are in good position to make a run this season, they have the talent around to support Sundin, I think it would be a good trade. Same with Vancouver. Both are in the middle of the conference, and very talented.

I also read that we have been shopping Blake with no takers.... which doesn't surprise me, I was against his signing in the summer and it has turned out that I am right. I bet my friend he wouldn't top 40 points and at the moment I may be right.

I also heard that the board now has to approve or reject any trade deals JFJ makes or is offered. Who knows if this means certain "name" players will be moved or not, all I do know is that people who don't know hockey are now in control and it scares me. I'd rather have a hockey mind with bad luck pull the strings over a bunch of no-knowledge owners. This worries me... and I know it won't end well.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I also read that we have been shopping Blake with no takers.... which doesn't surprise me, I was against his signing in the summer and it has turned out that I am right. I bet my friend he wouldn't top 40 points and at the moment I may be right.

I also heard that the board now has to approve or reject any trade deals JFJ makes or is offered. Who knows if this means certain "name" players will be moved or not, all I do know is that people who don't know hockey are now in control and it scares me. I'd rather have a hockey mind with bad luck pull the strings over a bunch of no-knowledge owners. This worries me... and I know it won't end well.

Helloooooooo Mr. Sundin :)

Hi, how are you?

The real problem is Richard Peddie. He wants full control, yet he doesn't know a thing about hockey ( as you said ). He refused Scotty Bowman and decided to stick with jfj ( what a stupid move ). All he cares about is making money and as long as those seats are filled he doesn't care.

Now if hes in "control" of the deals jfj makes, and wants to trade Sundin I'm pretty sure the leafs would get the downfall of the trade.

I could rant on more about the MSLE, but im sure you know how it is by now neon lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Archived