Oakland A's 40th Anniversary

Wally1912

There's something I'm not liking about this logo, and I'm not too sure what it is.

I think the secondary logo is ridiculous. They're a team that hasn't won a title in almost two decades and had a pretty decent 4-5 years in the 70's. Putting up the 4 trophies seems almost comical for a franchise who has become MLB's farm team for young soon to be traded talent.

Its like the logo is saying "Hey, we weren't always crappy, we actually won titles way back when...remind your kids that we didn't stink"

Kinda crazy that the A's almost became the Denver A's back in the late 70's.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

There's something I'm not liking about this logo, and I'm not too sure what it is.

I think it's the shapes. Just don't work for me - rigid horizontal ribbon, square outline, circle A's logo, home plate behind 40th. Trying to do way too much.

I think that might be it.

Too many shapes in one logo, and none of them work very well together. I think if they had gone with a diamond shape for the background and put the A's logo where the diamond is now they'd have a winner.

I think the secondary logo is ridiculous. They're a team that hasn't won a title in almost two decades and had a pretty decent 4-5 years in the 70's. Putting up the 4 trophies seems almost comical for a franchise who has become MLB's farm team for young soon to be traded talent.

Its like the logo is saying "Hey, we weren't always crappy, we actually won titles way back when...remind your kids that we didn't stink"

You expect them to gloss that over? Come on.

The Raiders regularly trumpet their three trophies in most of their materials. Why shouldn't the A's?

Besides, the A's really don't have the image of MLB's farm team. All the talent they've dumped have largely gone on to do nothing: Giambi, Mulder, Zito, Tejada, et al. They're the blueprint schematic on how to be successful with parsimonious ownership.

The only thing I don't like about this is that they're not long for Oakland anyway, if ownership has its druthers.

If they're looking for iconic symbols of their time in Oakland, they could have done something really fun with a pair of white shoes (similar to the Cowboys' Tom Landry fedora-patch memorial).

Because white shoes are worn by gangs in the Bay Area?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If they're looking for iconic symbols of their time in Oakland, they could have done something really fun with a pair of white shoes (similar to the Cowboys' Tom Landry fedora-patch memorial).

Because white shoes are worn by gangs in the Bay Area?

:blink:

I don't get it.

:blink:

Understood

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You expect them to gloss that over? Come on.

The Raiders regularly trumpet their three trophies in most of their materials. Why shouldn't the A's?

Besides, the A's really don't have the image of MLB's farm team. All the talent they've dumped have largely gone on to do nothing: Giambi, Mulder, Zito, Tejada, et al. They're the blueprint schematic on how to be successful with parsimonious ownership.

The only thing I don't like about this is that they're not long for Oakland anyway, if ownership has its druthers.

I beg to differ on those points. The players you mentioned have not "largely gone to nothing". They are all significant parts of their respective new organizations. There are also many other players who you didn't mention that defected from the A's to other ballclubs; the most recent Dan Haren, another one many years ago became a WS MVP....remember a guy named Scott Brossius?

You can basically bet that if a player becomes a star as an Athletic, he'll be gone by the time his contract is about up. So if you don't think that makes the A's "MLB's farm club" then I'm not sure what else you'd call that....a coincidence?

I used to be a huge A's fan back when I started watching baseball in the early 80's. Yes, I was a huge McGwire fan, and still am regardless of what happened after he retired. I have everyone of his baseball cards....want to buy some?

It pained me to watch all of their talent just leave town one by one over the years. So, I stopped following them. I couldn't take it anymore. For God's sake they couldn't even fill their damn stadium for the ALCS a couple of years back. I hope they move out of town, get the new stadium they want and go about their way. Oakland isn't the place for them anymore.....too bad, because the "A's of Freemont' just doesn't have the same ring to it.

You mean use something like what they used in the '68-'82 logo? For reference: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=2894

Archived