MLL's Philadelphia Barrage On Move

Brian in Boston

Inside Lacrosse has reported that Major League Lacrosse's Philadelphia Barrage franchise will operate as a travelling team during the 2008 MLL season. At least four - and potentially all - of the team's home matches will be played in markets that the league has been considering as potential franchise sites. Preliminary indications were that league officials had confirmed the switch of the Barrage's "home" match versus the Rochester Rattlers to the Raleigh-Durham area. Dallas, Portland, St. Louis and Virginia Beach are also being considered as potential Barrage "home" game sites in 2008.

Major League Lacrosse has taken over operation of the Barrage for 2008, with an eye towards finding a new owner to assume control of the team in time for the 2009 MLL season. While there is an outside chance that the team could reestablish operations in Philadelphia, it now seems more likely that it will relocate to another city in time for 2009.

I'm guessing that the Barrage vs. Rattlers match slated for the Raleigh-Durham area will be played at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina. The reason that the Rattlers match has been shifted to the facility is most likely because WakeMed Soccer Park's primary tenant is the Carolina RailHawks, a team that is owned by Chris Economides. Economides was a former partner of Steve Donner and Frank DuRoss with the Rochester Rhinos... and Donner and DuRoss also own the Rattlers.

Well, that sucks. I actually liked having them here, though I'dve liked to have seen them in person before they moved. That said, they were playing aaalll the way out in East Bumble:censored: (aka the outer reaches of the Main Line), so I don't think anyone really cared about them anyway.

philly.png

Well, that sucks. I actually liked having them here, though I'dve liked to have seen them in person before they moved. That said, they were playing aaalll the way out in East Bumble:censored: (aka the outer reaches of the Main Line), so I don't think anyone really cared about them anyway.

Wow. I'm from Downingtown (where they apparently play now), and go to Villanova (where they apparently played up until recently) and I've never heard of them until this thread.

I have to correct you about a few things - Downingtown is certainly not East Bumble:censored:, nor would most consider it the outer reaches of the Main Line. You are correct about nobody caring about them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm guessing that the Barrage vs. Rattlers match slated for the Raleigh-Durham area will be played at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina. The reason that the Rattlers match has been shifted to the facility is most likely because WakeMed Soccer Park's primary tenant is the Carolina RailHawks, a team that is owned by Chris Economides. Economides was a former partner of Steve Donner and Frank DuRoss with the Rochester Rhinos... and Donner and DuRoss also own the Rattlers.

(1) The soccer park's changed corporate whoring partners already? Wow.

(2) LAX is a sport that honestly could do well here, if properly marketed. Of course I said that about Arena Football only to see the Carolina Cobras ownership totally :censored: it up, so I'm not holding out a ton of hope.

(3) Another reference to "Raleigh-Durham." Sheesh. From now on whenever someone does that, I'm going to somehow figure out where they're from, then just indiscriminately tacking on suburbs or nearby cities to the name (Boston-Foxborough, Philadelphia-Camden, Tampa-Orlando, etc.) It doesn't drive me nuts, but it's unintelligent, like these nutbars who refer to Tampa as "Tampa Bay." Tampa Bay is a regional appellation. Raleigh-Durham is just slapping two city names together.

nav-logo.png

I have to correct you about a few things - Downingtown is certainly not East Bumble:censored:, nor would most consider it the outer reaches of the Main Line. You are correct about nobody caring about them.

I don't have a car, ergo anything past Zone 3 on the Regional Rail line qualifies as "East Bumble:censored:". ^_^

philly.png

Raleigh-Durham is just slapping two city names together.

Like Baltimore-Washington? <_<

Would Raleigh-Apex work better? Or Raleigh-Cary? :P

Speaking of Baltimore and Washington (and slightly more on topic), are the Bayhawks still around? Coverage of the MLL basically ceased in Baltimore once the Bayhawks moved.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

(3) Another reference to "Raleigh-Durham." Sheesh. From now on whenever someone does that, I'm going to somehow figure out where they're from, then just indiscriminately tacking on suburbs or nearby cities to the name (Boston-Foxborough, Philadelphia-Camden, Tampa-Orlando, etc.) It doesn't drive me nuts, but it's unintelligent, like these nutbars who refer to Tampa as "Tampa Bay." Tampa Bay is a regional appellation. Raleigh-Durham is just slapping two city names together.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm simply reporting the way my contact at Inside Lacrosse referenced the market.

Would it have been less "unintelligent" if he - and I - had followed U.S. Census Bureau practice and referenced Raleigh-Durham-Cary?

:P

Raleigh-Durham is just slapping two city names together.

Like Baltimore-Washington? <_<

Would Raleigh-Apex work better? Or Raleigh-Cary? :P

Speaking of Baltimore and Washington (and slightly more on topic), are the Bayhawks still around? Coverage of the MLL basically ceased in Baltimore once the Bayhawks moved.

The Bayhawks currently reside at Georgetown's stadium, as the Washington Bayhawks.

The Bayhawks currently reside at Georgetown's stadium, as the Washington Bayhawks.

Thanks. They are gone, but, as best as I can tell, little lamented in these parts. I think there is just too much tradition in collegiate lacrosse for the MLL to catch on, though I didn't think the Bayhawks drew that poorly while they were here.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

... I didn't think the Bayhawks drew that poorly while they were here.

2001 - Homewood Field (Johns Hopkins University): 4,156/game

2002 - PSINet Stadium: 3,478/game

2003 - Homewood Field (Johns Hopkins University): 2,471/game

2004 - Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson University): ?????

2005 - Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson University): 4,802/game

2006 - Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson University): 2,973/game

... I didn't think the Bayhawks drew that poorly while they were here.

2001 - Homewood Field (Johns Hopkins University): 4,156/game

2002 - PSINet Stadium: 3,478/game

2003 - Homewood Field (Johns Hopkins University): 2,471/game

2004 - Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson University): ?????

2005 - Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson University): 4,802/game

2006 - Johnny Unitas Stadium (Towson University): 2,973/game

That sounds decent by MLL standards (at least the years of 4,000+). Am I right about that?

That sounds decent by MLL standards (at least the years of 4,000+). Am I right about that?

From the 2001 through 2004 seasons, average attendance of over 4,000 fans per game would have placed the Bayhawks amongst the leaders in MLL attendance. For instance, the average of 4,156 fans-per-game that the Bayhawks drew in 2001 was good for a 2nd-place finish in the attendance race. By 2005, the 4,802 fans per game that they drew were being significantly outpaced by crowds in Boston and Denver.

By the way, it is now official: Triangle Professional Sports and the Carolina RailHawks, together with Major League Lacrosse, have announced that the Philadelphia Barrage's 2008 regular season "home" match versus the Rochester Rattlers will be played at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina on Saturday, June 21st at 7:30 PM. Tickets for the game will go on sale tomorrow - Wednesday, February 20th - at 10:00 AM at both the Carolina RailHawks box office and Ticketmaster outlets.

Like Dallas-Fort Worth? As much as we hate Dallas and all for which it stands, those of us here on the west side don't mind "DFW" too much, though I tend to say Fort Worth-Dallas whenever I can.

And Tampa DOES get slapped with something else - St. Pete.

You sound like someone from St. Paul. :P

Does that include references to Raleigh-Durham International Airport?

Interesting to note that the Census Bureau's CSA is Raleigh-Durham-Cary, though the two MSAs involved are Durham and Raleigh-Cary.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Interesting to note that the Census Bureau's CSA is Raleigh-Durham-Cary, though the two MSAs involved are Durham and Raleigh-Cary.

And I think DFW's is now Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, with Dallas as one MSA and Fort Worth-Arlington the other (Arlington residing in Tarrant County). I could see it turning into Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington-Denton in my lifetime...

Like Dallas-Fort Worth? As much as we hate Dallas and all for which it stands, those of us here on the west side don't mind "DFW" too much, though I tend to say Fort Worth-Dallas whenever I can.

And Tampa DOES get slapped with something else - St. Pete.

No, St. Pete gets slapped with Tampa! :P

The reason many Raleigh residents hate the "Raleigh-Durham" moniker is that Durham has the perception of having the highest crime rate in the region - hell, even their previous D.A. got disbarred for incompetence and/or corruption. It's also seen as a place where people who can't afford to live in Raleigh, Cary or other suburbs "wind up." Raleigh meanwhile is, by comparison, viewed as a much more clean, crime-free environment. Lumping the two together is seen as denigrating Raleigh to Durham's benefit. The combination is unfortunately aided by our airport, which technically is Durham-Raleigh International but is known worldwide as Raleigh-Durham International (RDU).

Anyway, for this reason, you'll never hear me say "Minneapolis-St. Paul," "Dallas-Fort Worth," "Tampa-St. Petersburg," "Detroit-Windsor" or any other combination: in some fashion, in someone's eyes, it drags one down to equalize it with another.

That aside, I think Raleigh could draw somewhere between 2,500 - 4,000 for LAX on a consistent basis - if it's promoted properly.

nav-logo.png

Archived