Spurs to become "Los Spurs"

eRay

Pardon my ignorance of proper Spanish, but if the jerseys in English don't say "The Spurs" on them, why would the "Los" have to be included in the Spanish version? Is that required by the language?

Based on what I barely remember of Spanish, there are certain instances where things that sound "right" to us sound odd to the native speaker. Thus saying "Los Spurs" in Spanish could be the proper form and just putting "Spurs" on the jersey would seem as odd to them as putting "The Spurs" on the jersey in English would seem odd to us.

I know not from experience though, as I have not seen an actual Spanish uniform for myself to see.

I also find it odd how New York, Philadelphia, New Jersey and New England have to be translated but, apparently, Kansas City and Oklahoma City don't. I got chided by my Spanish teacher for not translating my hometown, Garden City, into Cuidad Jardin when we were assigned to write a paragraph about ourselves in Spanish. Yet, I've been back home at least twice a year every year since I've taken that class and I've never seen or heard any Spanish speaker write or say "Ciudad Jardin."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also find it odd how New York, Philadelphia, New Jersey and New England have to be translated but, apparently, Kansas City and Oklahoma City don't. I got chided by my Spanish teacher for not translating my hometown, Garden City, into Cuidad Jardin when we were assigned to write a paragraph about ourselves in Spanish. Yet, I've been back home at least twice a year every year since I've taken that class and I've never seen or heard any Spanish speaker write or say "Ciudad Jardin."

It's just how it is. Just off the top of my head, I can think of two Mexican cities (Ciudad Juarez and Mexico City) where the names are always either translated or left untranslated.

I can remember asking my Spanish teacher what "Rock Hill" would be translated to in Spanish, and she said that even though the literal term would be Colina de Roca, it would most likely just be left as "Rock Hill" on a map in Spanish.

Just depends in some cases. Anyone know if there is a specific name for this phenomenon?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

If you MUST pander and have a name that doesn't have an equivalent en Espanol, then "Los _______" becomes "acceptable." But the Spanish word for Suns is "Sols."

Idiots...

But could you imagine the Los(t) Sols jokes?

liverpool-1.png

If you MUST pander and have a name that doesn't have an equivalent en Espanol, then "Los _______" becomes "acceptable." But the Spanish word for Suns is "Sols."

Idiots...

But could you imagine the Los(t) Sols jokes?

since the shaq trade, they've been closer to lost suns than los sun/sols

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Without going on a political rant ...

I think it's absolutely asinine, and completely fosters the idea of catering to the Hispanic community to not have to embrace American culture. When I see commercials, banks slips, street signs, etc presented in Spanish, I want to jump through a brick wall. The uniforms are a paradigm for all that is wrong with our misguided attempt to properly initiate Latinos into American society. Are the Warriors going to wear rainbow colored uniforms to celebrate the homosexual population in San Francisco? No. Decades ago, during the large European migration to the United States, immigrants had to have a sponsor, and hit certain milestone achievements: learning English, schooling, etc, to become Americans. These folks WANTED to be Americans, and completely embraced their new culture. While I appreciate Latino?s family oriented culture, since most of it is lacking in America, it is my opinion that many of them refuse to learn English because they don't have to. In case anyone missed it: Los Spurs 87 Los Suns 94.

Except you did. Why is it always people with less that 15 posts who write stuff like this?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

When I see commercials, banks slips, street signs, etc presented in Spanish, I want to jump through a brick wall. The uniforms are a paradigm for all that is wrong with our misguided attempt to properly initiate Latinos into American society.

Just to be clear: Do you also oppose teams wearing green on St. Patrick's day, or green and red on Columbus Day? Because if not, then you're just spouting anti-Hispanic piffle in a bigoted political rant. But if you also object to the St. Pat's green or the Columbus Day Italianisms because they reinforce particularist identities at the expense of national cultural assimilation, then good on you for seeing your principles through to their necessary conclusions.

Oh, and while you're at it, you do realize that most of the Spurs' team name is already in Spanish, right? And this is not an isolated case. In baseball alone, one team already wears Spanish jerseys every day of the year, and at least five other teams wear Spanish jerseys one out of every two games. The horror!

20082614447.png

Pardon my ignorance of proper Spanish, but if the jerseys in English don't say "The Spurs" on them, why would the "Los" have to be included in the Spanish version? Is that required by the language?

Based on what I barely remember of Spanish, there are certain instances where things that sound "right" to us sound odd to the native speaker. Thus saying "Los Spurs" in Spanish could be the proper form and just putting "Spurs" on the jersey would seem as odd to them as putting "The Spurs" on the jersey in English would seem odd to us.

I know not from experience though, as I have not seen an actual Spanish uniform for myself to see.

BTW (responding to another post), Suns = soles not sols.

The article los isn't needed and shouldn't be there. Baseball jerseys from Mexico and elsewhere don't read Los __(nickname)__ just like they don't read The __(nickname)__ in English.

'New' is always translated to Nuevo/a/os/as probably as it's felt to be an adjective modifying a city name not really the name itself.

The others have to be taken on a case by case basis. If there's a cognate in Spanish it's more likely to be translated. That's why there's San Luis for St. Louis and Filadelfia (occurs in Spanish New Testament) for Philadelphia. La Cuidad de Kansas/Oklahoma/etc. appear silly and awkward but there really is a Ciudad Jardin so I can understand the case for translating it.

The article los isn't needed and shouldn't be there. Baseball jerseys from Mexico and elsewhere don't read Los __(nickname)__ just like they don't read The __(nickname)__ in English.

'New' is always translated to Nuevo/a/os/as probably as it's felt to be an adjective modifying a city name not really the name itself.

The others have to be taken on a case by case basis. If there's a cognate in Spanish it's more likely to be translated. That's why there's San Luis for St. Louis and Filadelfia (occurs in Spanish New Testament) for Philadelphia. La Cuidad de Kansas/Oklahoma/etc. appear silly and awkward but there really is a Ciudad Jardin so I can understand the case for translating it.

That makes pretty good sense. Also could explain why Ciudad Juarez and Ciudad Obregon are left untranslated in English (named after people) while Mexico City is translated.

So then, really, it's the same as English with no Los/The. Interesting.

I'm guessing the Ciudad Jardin you speak of is in a Spainsh-speaking country. My Spanish teacher spent a few years in Latin American countries on peace missions when he was in his 20's, so I guess it is possible he was in a "Ciudad Jardin" or another place we'd call "________ City" that was known as "Ciudad _________" in the native tongue.

Funny, though, how the Spanish speakers in Garden City, Kansas, don't translate it's name. Maybe it's because it's an American city? :unsure:

So then, really, it's the same as English with no Los/The. Interesting.

I'm guessing the Ciudad Jardin you speak of is in a Spainsh-speaking country. My Spanish teacher spent a few years in Latin American countries on peace missions when he was in his 20's, so I guess it is possible he was in a "Ciudad Jardin" or another place we'd call "________ City" that was known as "Ciudad _________" in the native tongue.

Funny, though, how the Spanish speakers in Garden City, Kansas, don't translate it's name. Maybe it's because it's an American city? :unsure:

I'd say that's right. If I were an American living in, say, Aguascalientes or La Laguna (literally, "hot waters"/"hot springs" and "the lagoon") I'd just feel awkward referring to them as their English translations.

I think it's absolutely asinine, and completely fosters the idea of catering to the Hispanic community to not have to embrace American culture. When I see commercials, banks slips, street signs, etc presented in Spanish, I want to jump through a brick wall. The uniforms are a paradigm for all that is wrong with our misguided attempt to properly initiate Latinos into American society. Are the Warriors going to wear rainbow colored uniforms to celebrate the homosexual population in San Francisco? No. Decades ago, during the large European migration to the United States, immigrants had to have a sponsor, and hit certain milestone achievements: learning English, schooling, etc, to become Americans. These folks WANTED to be Americans, and completely embraced their new culture. While I appreciate Latino?s family oriented culture, since most of it is lacking in America, it is my opinion that many of them refuse to learn English because they don't have to. In case anyone missed it: Los Spurs 87 Los Suns 94.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This day was stupid and absolutely uncalled for.

Thank God the NFL and NHL don't do anything stupid like this.

Worst idea in sports aside from EDGE jerseys, maybe even worse.

anti.png

i'm not even going to respond to the content of this. however i will say this, we go through this every time a team does this. Granted its disingenious as hell (this is across the board with every group ie st. patricks day jerseys) because its just a corporate cash grab from exploiting said ethnic group. But i'm not going to get in to the politics of it, its a jersey, a one off. Something you are going to see once a season, so i doubt your life changes drastically if you see Los Spurs, Lost Mets i'm sorry, LOS Mets(though after the end of last season should have been LOST Mets).

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

When I see commercials, banks slips, street signs, etc presented in Spanish, I want to jump through a brick wall. The uniforms are a paradigm for all that is wrong with our misguided attempt to properly initiate Latinos into American society.

Just to be clear: Do you also oppose teams wearing green on St. Patrick's day, or green and red on Columbus Day? Because if not, then you're just spouting anti-Hispanic piffle in a bigoted political rant. But if you also object to the St. Pat's green or the Columbus Day Italianisms because they reinforce particularist identities at the expense of national cultural assimilation, then good on you for seeing your principles through to their necessary conclusions.

Oh, and while you're at it, you do realize that most of the Spurs' team name is already in Spanish, right? And this is not an isolated case. In baseball alone, one team already wears Spanish jerseys every day of the year, and at least five other teams wear Spanish jerseys one out of every two games. The horror!

Wait a minute... there are Italian themed jerseys for Columbus Day? Awesome! What team(s) did this? Any pics?

To be honest, I never understood why cities with huge Hispanic populations had not done this already.

I love those "holiday" or one-time alts. It adds something fun, I think.

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

Archived