Spurs to become "Los Spurs"

eRay

Nice work. And I don't really see the NHL ever being translated to Spanish. Bettman's having enough trouble translating hockey to America. LOL

We speak English dude, not "America", or "American". I hate when people get the name of our country confused with the language we speak.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice work. And I don't really see the NHL ever being translated to Spanish. Bettman's having enough trouble translating hockey to America. LOL

We speak English dude, not "America", or "American". I hate when people get the name of our country confused with the language we speak.

Actually, we speak American English. Which is why BBC America makes subtitling available.

But if you're going to get persnickety, at least know what you're talking about. The transitive verb "to translate" also means to express in different or more comprehensible terms, not only to turn into another language. So in fact it is correct usage to say that a Canadian institution must be "translated" to America. It's best to make sure you actually know what the words mean when you criticize people for the words they use.

20082614447.png

But to whom is Bettman trying to translate the game to (in his opinion)? America (or Americans, but I think America is fine in this context.) His sentence is correct - or at least "not incorrrect."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

National League, Best I could come up with, please forgive any errors.

MLB - Los Piratas

- Los Ositos (cubs)

- Los Cardinales

- Los Cerveceros

- Los Rojos (Reds)

- Los Astros

- Los Trampistas (Dodgers)

- Los Gigantes

- Los Serpientes (Diamondbacks/Snakes?)

- Los Padres

- Los Rocosos (Rockies)

- Los Metropolitanos

- Los Bravos

- Los Marlines

- Los Nacionales

- Los Phillies (don't know of any Spanish equivalent)

AZ = las/los cascabeles

CHI = los cachorros

COL = las rocosas/los rocosos

PHI = los filis

STL = los cardenales

NY = as you have or los mets

LA = los trampistas is correct, but I never read anything but los dodgers

NY = los yanquis

BOS = las/los medias rojas/rojos TOR = azulejos

BAL = los orioles (diff. pronunciation just like los marlines)

TB = las/los mantarrayas or las/los rayas (R must be doubled in mantarrayas because it's in the middle of a compound word, like Villarreal.)

CHI = las/los medias blancas/blancos

CLE = los indios

DET = los tigres

KC = los reales

MIN = los mellizos

LA = los angelinos (not los angeles de los angeles)

OAK = los atléticos

SEA = los marineros

TEX = los vigilantes though the team prefers los rangers (spanglish)

(the los forms of AZ COL BOS TB CHI are grammatically incorrect IMHO but they are used. I personally prefer the las forms)

Now, combining them with place names can be tricky.

NY is always Nueva York but KC is usually Kansas City, not la Ciudad de Kansas.

STL is always San Luis. "de St. Louis" is Spanglish.

Texas can be spelled Tejas (older).

TB is just Tampa. La Bahía de Tampa usually refers to just the water.

FL can be Florida or la Florida (older).

But to whom is Bettman trying to translate the game to (in his opinion)? America (or Americans, but I think America is fine in this context.) His sentence is correct - or at least "not incorrrect."

Whoops. You only needed the first "to."

And BallWonk's perfectly acceptable explanation aside, I actually like calling the language we speak in the United States "American." It's certainly not the Queen's English. Nor do we use similar language patterns and word spellings as our Canadian neighbors. I know that I'm pretty much alone in that regard, but there it is.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yes, the context in which he was using the word was correct. Now, whether or not that demonstrated actual intelligence is more debatable. Personally I found that to be a rather unfunny remark that is born out of a desire to simply bash Bettman whenever it is possible. However, considering DVDGuy's posting history, this type of unintelligent post is par for the course.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, the context in which he was using the word was correct. Now, whether or not that demonstrated actual intelligence is more debatable. Personally I found that to be a rather unfunny remark that is born out of a desire to simply bash Bettman whenever it is possible. However, considering DVDGuy's posting history, this type of unintelligent post is par for the course.

I inferred that he was trying to say that Bettman was having trouble translating it into English, but I guess technically, America does work in that context, I just thought he was trying to say something different.

It's contagious.

Today's Spurs-Suns game in Phoenix features the Spurs wearing "Los Spurs" and the Suns wearing....

"Los Suns"

It's Phoenix's orange alt jersey, but with "LOS SUNS" on the front in purple and white outline, similar to the Grizzlies' lettering.

It's contagious.

Today's Spurs-Suns game in Phoenix features the Spurs wearing "Los Spurs" and the Suns wearing....

"Los Suns"

It's Phoenix's orange alt jersey, but with "LOS SUNS" on the front in purple and white outline, similar to the Grizzlies' lettering.

it stands out a lot from the suns normal jerseys but i have been watching the game off and on and didn't notice anything until i saw amare stoudemire wearing a "los suns" t-shirt on the bench. i was like "umm, are the suns doing this too?" and sure enough...

capt.66405720b6aa4ed780df600163e1be02.spurs_suns_basketball_pnu104.jpg

Hey look! It's Spanish! :rolleyes::wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's contagious.

"Los Suns"

That is just inexcusably terrible. If you MUST pander and have a name that doesn't have an equivalent en Espanol, then "Los _______" becomes "acceptable." But the Spanish word for Suns is "Sols."

Idiots...

Mantarayas de Tampa Bay (although that seems to be Devil Rays rather than Rays)

I'm not sure...wouldn't there be "Diablo" somewhere in there?

I believe the translation is correct. A 'devil ray' can also be referred to as a manta ray in english (if my memory of monterrey aquarium serves me correctly...they might be another type of ray altogether) so i assume this is the used form on Castillian. Funnily enough the whole 'devil' issue could have been avoided if manta had been used instead, and there wouldn't be a sun/animal mash-up confusion appearing in the AL east this year...

On the Suns jerseys would it really have taken any more effort to put 'sol' instead of los suns in a tacky font? even if they'd used the same graphics and spelt 'sol' it would have been better...tut tut...

Pardon my ignorance of proper Spanish, but if the jerseys in English don't say "The Spurs" on them, why would the "Los" have to be included in the Spanish version? Is that required by the language?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived