Minor-League Baseball Logo "Tourney" at CNBC.com

Brian in Boston

CNBC's Sports Business Reporter Darren Rovell is conducting a "minor league baseball logo contest". Voting is underway at:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23557401

Even accounting for personal taste, to say that there are some questionable inclusions in the "Field of 64" is an understatement. The Jamestown Jammers? Really? The Jammers get in, along with the likes of the Great Lakes Loons, Las Vegas 51s, Lexington Legends, Savannah Sand Gnats, Salem Avalanche, Wausau Timber Rattlers and Wichita Wingnuts, but the Brooklyn Cyclones, Cedar Rapids Kernels, Eugene Emeralds, Idaho Falls Chukars, Portland Beavers, Quebec Capitales, St. Paul Saints and York Revolution don't. The Pensacola Pelicans' logo makes the cut, but the Myrtle Beach Pelicans' logo is found wanting?

Equally dubious is the seeding. The aforementioned Jammers' logo is awarded a #2 seed, while the Toledo Mud Hens' logo only merits a #7. The Clinton Lumber Kings' logo snag a #2 seed, while the Burlington Bees are a #13 seed.

Finally, there are the simple oversights, such as displaying the old marks of the Trenton Thunder and Yakima Bears, and including the logo of a franchise - the New Haven County Cutters - that is now defunct.

Voting begins today and continues through March 31st.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know what Conference Tournament the Cross Cutters won to get in.

Also....I'd rather they not include logos from a league whose short term survival is in doubt *cough*SCL*cough*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Come on, rams80... the South Coast League is still - at least for the moment - operating. What's more, the Aiken Foxhounds'and South Georgia Peanuts'logos have artistic merit.

Also, I've received word from Mr. Rovell that the Trenton and Yakima logos will be updated and the Newport County Cutters are being replaced.

How in the world did the T-Bones logo make the cut, while we're at it??

Both bottom-feeding fish, the Snidley Whiplash Evansville Otter...GBL Chico? Really? Visalia?? C'mon. Charleston? Awful...looks like the bat broke up from where it was bitten...

Reno Silver Sox? So many GBL logos...

And the Legends' guy is just begging for a bad caption. Interesting choice at El Cheapo.

Some logos not mentioned belong...some don't. Seeding is awful. This entire thing reeks of "t3h FAIL" in my opinion.

(Btw, just for the record, it's the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, not Wausau. Appleton, actually.)

Oh, and Trenton's updated...Yakima is not. And the Cutters (horrid logo and all) are still there.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Personally, I was bugged by having to vote River City Rascals vs Tucson Sidewinders when I like 'em both...and Caspar Ghosts vs Montgomery Biscuits, neither of which I'm that fond of.

Yes, the Williamsport Crosscutters' logo changed.

As for Mr. Rovell's Minor League Baseball Logo Contest, both the Trenton Thunder and Yakima Bears logos have been updated. The New Haven County Cutters have been bounced from the tourney, replaced by the Tri-City Valley Cats. Also, due to the fact that Mr. Rovell found the Fresno Grizzlies logo to be too similar to that of Yakima's, the Grizzlies have been replaced by the Golden Baseball League's Orange County Flyers.

First round results were as follows:

#16 Casper Ghosts (52%) def. #1 Montgomery Biscuits (48%)

#9 Lansing Lugnuts (58%) def. #8 Akron Aeros (42%)

#12 Augusta Greenjackets (51%) def. #5 Lake Elsinore Storm (49%)

#4 Northwest Arkansas Naturals (53%) def. #13 Burlington Bees (47%)

#6 River City Rascals (56%) def. #11 Tuscon Sidewinders (44%)

The only contestant that I voted for which actually emerged victorious in this group was Augusta. It was bad enough that the Burlington Bees were seeded #13, but to lose to the Naturals was an ignominious defeat.

While we're at it, current percentages in Day 2 voting:

#3 Aiken Foxhounds (64%) lead #14 New Hampshire Fisher Cats (36%)

#7 Kansas City T-Bones (71%) lead #10 Yakima Bears (29%)

#2 Columbus Catfish (74%) lead #15 Tri-City Valley Cats (26%)

#1 Joliet Jackhammers (78%) lead #16 Reno Silver Sox (22%)

#9 Grand Prairie Air Hogs (54%) lead #8 Durham Bulls (46%)

How the hell did the Biscuits lose to the Casper Ghosts???

Casper is the clear winner on points. Much better wordmark. The Biscuits wordmark is essentially clip-art, whereas the Ghosts have a nicely designed, distinctive wordmark. The mascot logos are about even -- a badly rendered biscuit that looks almost like a South Park character versus a nicely rendered but nigh-nonsensical ghost-ball that looks like a Scrubbing Bubbles commercial. Casper's mascot wins on the basis of more professional rendering. Plus lack of a butter-pat tongue.

I think the voters are mostly getting the toss-up matchups right. It's where I see a clearly superior logo that my preferences take a beating. The Burlington Bees losing to almost anyone is a crime, as is Durham losing to the Air Hogs.

20082614447.png

Btw, just for the record, it's the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, not Wausau. Appleton, actually.

Well, technically, it's Grand Chute. They haven't played in Appleton since the year before they became the Timber Rattlers.

I think the voters are mostly getting the toss-up matchups right. It's where I see a clearly superior logo that my preferences take a beating. The Burlington Bees losing to almost anyone is a crime, as is Durham losing to the Air Hogs.

Either one could have taken the whole thing.

I can't believe that the Brooklyn Cyclones didn't even make the tourney - they also could be the best in the nation. The new Portland Beavers should be in this as well.

Either one could have taken the whole thing.

I can't believe that the Brooklyn Cyclones didn't even make the tourney - they also could be the best in the nation. The new Portland Beavers should be in this as well.

OK, I'll bite. My own personal Final Four:

Burlington Bees

St. Paul Saints

Toledo Mud Hens

Myrtle Beach Pelicans

Ask me again in five minutes, and at least two of those would be different. And I'm sort of basing this on overall team identity, including logo and uniforms. Modesto and Boise are among a number of teams that would be on the bubble for me.

20082614447.png

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the second day of voting produced more head-scratching results.

#3 Aiken Foxhounds (64%) defeated #14 New Hampshire Fisher Cats (36%) - I have no problem with this result.

#7 Kansas City T-Bones (64%) defeated #10 Yakima Bears (36%) - IMHO, voters mistakenly opt for "cutesy" over well-designed.

#2 Columbus Catfish (71%) defeated #15 Tri-City Valley Cats (29%) - No problem with this. Though it is a shame that two high-quality marks had to face-off so early in the tourney.

#1 Joliet Jackhammers (79%) defeated #16 Reno Silver Sox (21%) - Sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. Reno should have been a #1 or #2-seed in my book.

#9 Grand Prairie Air Hogs (54%) defeated #8 Durham Bulls (46%) - I opted for Durham's classic logo, though I can see why there would be some who would vote for Grand Prairie. It's a clean, modern, well-designed mark with just a hint of the "cute" factor.

Thus far on Day Three:

#5 Albuquerque Isotopes (61%) lead #12 Las Vegas 51s (39%)

#4 Ft. Wayne Wizards (52%) lead #14 Peoria Chiefs (48%)

#11 Carolina Mudcats (67%) lead #6 New Britain Rock Cats (33%)

#3 Southern Illinois Miners (57%) lead #14 Pensacola Pelicans (43%)

#10 Anderson Joes (56%) lead #7 South Georgia Peanuts (44%)

Personally, I don't think the Carolina Mudcats' logo has aged particularly well. Frankly, the mark probably wouldn't have made by field of 64. Ditto for the New Britain Rock Cats' logo. While the Rock Cats' mark is well-rendered, I have issues with the fact that the mascot character looks more like a rat than a cat to my eye.

It's a shame that South Georgia and Anderson have to meet each other so early.

Archived