The World's Most Ridiculous Non-Winning/Discarded Sports Team Names

totc

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Archers could have worked since there were no NFL teams that had a nickname starting with A, except that the league would've made them nix it out of concerns of it rhyming with Chargers.

You really think so?

I don't know how the league approved nicknames for the newer teams, but I'm sure it's possible. On the other hand, the name would still be accepted by the fans without concern of it rhyming with another teams' name.

I think why Justice was one of the names being considered for the NHL team in Columbus, is because the arena was built over top the old state penitentiary. I remember that some of the names that came up were, Convicts, Cons, Icons. Things that would go with the penitentiary theme.

Wasn't there an old-time minor-league team called the Jefferson City Convicts? That goes along with the Iola Gasbags and the Nevada Lunatics!

I think St. Louis had 2 as well the Stallions and the Archers. I always thought the Archers could have been one of he coolest logos ever.

Oh well...

St. Louis Archers?

A logo with that name would've been some guy shooting a bow and arrow with the Gateway Arch serving as a background.

For some reason I envisioned something like this...

centaur.jpg

thats basicly the mixture of both possible team names(stallions, and archers)

Houston Wildcatters

Houston Roughnecks

I really wanted them to become the Wildcatters. But I can see how people might get confused and not know it refers to oil instead of a kitty cat.

Also, I loved the dejected tone in Bob McNair's voice when he was at a press conference and admitted that his favorite, Roughnecks, was out of the running since it sounded too much like 'Rednecks'. Never my favorite name, but you could clearly tell he thought it was an idiotic reason for it to be rejected.

I think why Justice was one of the names being considered for the NHL team in Columbus, is because the arena was built over top the old state penitentiary. I remember that some of the names that came up were, Convicts, Cons, Icons. Things that would go with the penitentiary theme.

Wasn't there an old-time minor-league team called the Jefferson City Convicts? That goes along with the Iola Gasbags and the Nevada Lunatics!

Convicts has been used in:

Jefferson City - Missouri Valley League 1902

Jackson - Southern Michigan League 1906-13

Joliet - Illinois-Iowa League 1890-91

Leavenworth - Western Association 1907

Gasbags is unique to Iola, but Gassers was used in Amarillo, Blackwell (OK, my parent's hometown), Borger (TX), Mexia (TX... yes, Anna Nicole Smith's hometown), Shreveport, and Tulsa. I don't know about Shreveport, but the rest all have strong oil/gas drilling histories. I think Amarillo's name might be tied to the city's reputation as the Helium Capital of the World, but helium is commonly found in natural gas fields and ballclub name's use predates the creation of the the National Helium Reserve by a few years.

Lunatics was also used in Jacksonville, IL...

Convicts has been used in:

Jefferson City - Missouri Valley League 1902

Jackson - Southern Michigan League 1906-13

Joliet - Illinois-Iowa League 1890-91

Leavenworth - Western Association 1907

Gasbags is unique to Iola, but Gassers was used in Amarillo, Blackwell (OK, my parent's hometown), Borger (TX), Mexia (TX... yes, Anna Nicole Smith's hometown), Shreveport, and Tulsa. I don't know about Shreveport, but the rest all have strong oil/gas drilling histories. I think Amarillo's name might be tied to the city's reputation as the Helium Capital of the World, but helium is commonly found in natural gas fields and ballclub name's use predates the creation of the the National Helium Reserve by a few years.

Lunatics was also used in Jacksonville, IL...

My personal favorite use of Criminals for a mascot has to be Yuma High School in Arizona. Talk about a politically incorrect nickname!

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

The name seemingly grew out of a conversation between owner Walter Brown and Howie McHugh, a member of the Garden's publicity staff and the man assigned to handle the basketball entity. Both men suggested several nicknames, including Whirlwinds, Unicorns, and Olympics. But it was Brown, who suddenly exclaimed, "Wait, I've got it - the Celtics. We'll call them the Boston Celtics!" Brown excitedly went on, "The name has a great basketball tradition from the old Original Celtics in New York. And, Boston is full of Irishmen. We'll put them in green uniforms and call them the Boston Celtics!"

McHugh tried in vain to talk with, negotiate, and dissuade Brown not to use the name Celtics, but Brown's mind had clearly reached a final decision and that would be the end of that conversation.

From Wikipedia

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs is awful, but the Phantastics would have been infinitely worse.

I disagree, I think IronPigs is a great name for the team.

Everything is better than IronPigs. I will come up with a name in like five seconds off the top of my head and it will be better than "Lehigh Valley IronPigs." Okay. "Allentown Industrials." It sounds like an old-time sponsored club, like the Decatur Staleys or something. Plus, it doesn't employ CamelCase. Automtaic improvement.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Archived