Remember when....

Brass

I was skipping threw channels last night and came to a station called Spike TV (formally TNN) i was caught by Monday night Raw is War WWE Wrestling. As i watched they went to a commerical and showed Wrestlemania highlights. In 2001, they had a Gimmick Battle Royal where all old wreslters fought for a little bit. Old names came to mind. Doink the Clown, Iron Sheik, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Bushwackers. That was when wrestling was funny! I loved it and no matter who you are you loved it to or had a favorite wreslter. Mine was the Ultimate Warrior. I know longer watch today's wrestling. What are your memories and old favorite wreslters. (Just thought to start this to bring back memories.)
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I hear ya Brass

The WWE today is very boring it seems when the changed their name from WWF the F they got out was the fun.

I think one of the best memories I have is the old DX feud with the Nation of Domination that was so Political Incorrect on so many levels it was great.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

i was a Jimmy "superfly" snuka fan as well as the Ultimate Warrior!  and any midget wrestler was cool!  haha

Tiger Chung Lee?  was that a midget wrestler?  IF he is the one I was thinking of, Mr. T was his trainer and he had his hair cut like T..TOO FUNNY

Ah, the memories! I was always a big fan of the Junk Yard Dog. When I was a kid, my uncle took me to WWF once, and I saw Hulk Hogan in a steel cage match vs. the Big Boss Man. A few years ago, my little cousin asked me to take him to Raw. It just wasn't the same.

I recently learned that my mother watches "Smackdown". This is the same woman who yelled at me for watching wrestling as a kid. Of course, that may have had something to do with teaching my little sister how to do a figure-4 leg lock (she kicked a lot of butts around the neighborhood after that)

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Yeah memories.....

Tank-The Nation of Domination was kool. It was like a bunch of black guys from Africa, fighting against Punks from Greenwich, CT. I loved it.

The last time I officially like WWF or WWE or whatever the hell it's called, was when the Ministry of Darkenss collapsed. It was pretty neat. Back when the Undertaker was actually like an Undertaker and not a biker. I loved the white-faced guy who everyone was afraid drom rather that the biker guy. It just doesn't make sense.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah memories.....

Tank-The Nation of Domination was kool. It was like a bunch of black guys from Africa, fighting against Punks from Greenwich, CT. I loved it.

The last time I officially like WWF or WWE or whatever the hell it's called, was when the Ministry of Darkenss collapsed. It was pretty neat. Back when the Undertaker was actually like an Undertaker and not a biker. I loved the white-faced guy who everyone was afraid drom rather that the biker guy. It just doesn't make sense.

Never fear.  The original Undertaker (it's still the same guy all these years, he's just returning to the "Deadman" character) will appear for Wrestlemania!

Yes, I have no life.  :(

It's where I sit.

old skool NWA was the best.

Ric Flair (who's still at it), Dusty Rhodes, the Anderson Bros. "the Four Horsemen"

I always hated Ric Flair. It's worse now, because he's on the Jumbotron at the RBC Center, "woooo!-ing" everytime the Hurricanes score a goal.

Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

The Nation of Domination wasn't from Africa, they just played upon their African heritage...kind of like the Black Panthers. They were led for a while by Faarooq (Ron Simmons of the APA), and recruited Rocky Maivia to join their stable. Then Rocky got a swelled head, felt that he was in charge, and took over the NOD from Faarooq. This eventually led to him becoming "The Rock".

Stables are great as heel-building devices, but they get very old after awhile. I could never watch NWA/AWA/WCW whatever because of the Four Horseman. no matches ended clean for like, what 10 years? It was too predictable, like a Hulk Hogan match from that time. Reincarnated as the N.W.O...also boring after a while. Granted, it's wrestling, and it's not supposed to be cerebral. But the predictability of all the outcomes involving certain wrestlers had made the matches very boring.

We all know HHH will only get pinned by one of his stable or HBK, no one else. He will only lose his belt in a 3-way where the other guys are involved in the pin, so h never has to lose the belt that way.

Too many wrestlers are involved in politics behind the scenes and it had ruined wrestling. I remember when I made sure I was home to watch it every week, getting carpal tunnel switching between WWF and WCW. No, I don't care if I watch or not, and the PPVs are not worth the money.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's no different from any other scripted show on TV....sitcoms, drama, etc. Except that the stuntment (& women) are the stars.

At least they don't try to hide the fact it's scripted...it's now considered sports ENTERTAINMENT.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wrestling is a soap opera with violence and humongeous :censored:. Wait.. that sounds like a regular Soap Opera.

Anyways... meh.. wrestling comes and goes... I was an ECW fan... that what kinda brought me back to the fold of watching wrestling.. staying up until 1am watching WPAX31 on saturday nights.. man...

WCW was cool for a while, but they soon sucked, and the WWF was....ok.. was great for a while there in 2000-2001, but fell off rather quickly, and hasn't shown any signs of getting better...

I do have to say though when they first played the undertaker music and the old Bell toll... i totally marked out....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It's no different from any other scripted show on TV....sitcoms, drama, etc. Except that the stuntment (& women) are the stars.

At least they don't try to hide the fact it's scripted...it's now considered sports ENTERTAINMENT.

I expected that response when I typed it, except it is a competition. A scripted competition. I love competition, but not scripted ones.

I just got to Say Vinny Mac, is the Man.   I got a Chance to See Mick Foley last week he talked at Emporia State University I must say He's a lot better outside the Ring then in the Ring.

At lease we was there, where was St. Louis, Dallas, Philly, Kansas City, Green Bay, Tenn, Seahawks, Denver, Indy, and the Ravenspantherplayoff.jpg

I miss ECW they were great. Especailly in the days when they were true renegades with no National Cable contract and were seen on midnight on MSG.

Thats when the had the great matches with the barbed wire, and all the other toys brought to the wring like VCRS and Cheese graders.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I hope all the wrestlers of yesteryear are still going at it with one-another in some form of afterlife.  Owen Hart and Davy Boy Smith certainley must be the tag-team champions by now, but on the look-out for the renegade tag-team of Brian Pillman and Crash Holly, with Mr Perfect, Big John Studd, Rick Rude, and Junkyard Dog competing in the Intercontinental Title Ranks, don't forget Andre the Giant and Yokozuna's amazing feud.  Gorilla Monsoon calling the play-by-play, with Jack Tunney making sure the show runs smoothly.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

As far as all of the premature passings, I think youre right, Tank. Their lifestyle sucks, all you have to do is watch "Beyond the Mat" to see that. And some of the stories that I hear from a friend in the independant scene seem to show that that just scratched the surface.

I havent watched wrestling regularly since Taz was the ECW champion. Even then, ECW was the only promotion I watched. That said, last week I picked up the Ric Flair DVD set, hoping to see something that could bring back the good old days of the real Horsemen. It was worth the $22 just to see Tully Blanchard again.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Yep they messed up pro wrestling somewhere along the line. It doesn't help having all these wrinklies like Flair hanging around still! The whole merger story line was when it started going down hill and I dunno whenever I see it now it just looks staged, which it didn't when it was at its best. (Although you knew it obviously was!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived