Sports cities needing teams

Delux247

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
theres no hocky fans in california and the hee-haw states they should put those teams in Quebec, winnypeg, kamloops, halifax, and another one in toronto so that they can finally have a good team.

The only way Toronto would get another NHL team is if Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment owns it.

*forehead meet desk*

Wherever there is a joke, there will be one who refuses to get it.

Also, Toronto already has a good hockey team, the Buffalo Sabres.

Darn it! The batteries in my sarcasm detector died. I guess I'll have to use the ones from my gay-dar.

Oh, hello sir. Those are some nice leather chaps you are wearing...

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

I will probably get flamed for this but nonetheless here goes. And when I say a league should be in a city, I mean that the league should be actively pursuing an ownership group interested in bringing said league to that city.

On the topic of MLS and and the Big4, one must realize that several monied investors are now lining up to join MLS. MLS is now being paid TV rights fees by three US broadcasters and one Canadian broadcaster. Most clubs now play in a stadium that they control. Per game attendance is close to matching the NHL and NBA, and a better indicator % of capacity is increasing. So yes all trends point to MLS making the Big 4 the Big 5, I am not saying it is there now, but given another 5-10 years of growth and it will be. Honestly it is today where the NBA and NHL were in the late 1970's, and all indications are that it is in a much better position. As for the has to be the best, that is never going to happen or at least not in our lifetimes. The sport is to global and to well established in Europe and South America. That does not mean however that MLS cannot play beautiful futbol and be a 'Major' league here.

The cities that MLS should be in at this point that are:

St. Louis, Montreal, Vancouver ,New York City ,Miami ,Portland ,Atlanta ,Minneapolis - St. Paul

The cities that the NFL shoud be in at this point are:

Los Angeles, Toronto

The cities that MLB shoud be in at this point are pick two from the following:

Portland, Nashville, Salt Lake City, Vancouver, Indianapolis, Charlotte

The cities that the NHL should be in at this point are:

Winnepeg, Quebec, Hartford, Salt Lake City, Hamilton, Milwaukee

The cities that the NBA should be in at this point are:

Kansas City, Cincinnati/Louisville (one or the other but not both), Tampa Bay, Raleigh, Oklahoma City/Seattle (whoever loses the Sonics)

I think Pittsburgh can use an NBA,i don't see why not.

How about because Pittsburgh's nowhere nearly a pro basketball market? Go there sometime. See how often pro hoops gets mentioned compared to football or hockey.

How about because Pittsburgh's population is in decline, as opposed to other, more suitable markets, which have growing populations?

How about because Pittsburgh barely supports one losing franchise (the Pirates) and drove another (the Penguins, pre-Lemeiux, pre-Crosby) into bankruptcy... twice?

I'm not knocking Pittsburgh; far from it. I lived in the region for 13 years. It's just not a basketball market, and frankly it never will be.

In addition to all of that, let's be honest here for a second - Pittsburgh (well, Western PA as a whole) is not very open minded when it comes to the potential characters that come along with an NBA team, and wouldn't do very well marketing to the target demographic. Hell with it - racism is very much alive in W. PA, and I can't see them putting a single dollar into the NBA. I'm shocked that they support the Panthers as much as they do.

Before anyone gets on me, I'm just saying the truth - they don't call it Pennsyl-Tucky for no reason. I'm not saying that racism isn't present in every city, including my own, but sometimes I feel like I'm going back into 50's Alabama when I pass Harrisburg on the turnpike.

Mac, you know where I'm coming from (at least a little bit) on this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kansas City, Cincinnati/Louisville (one or the other but not both), Tampa Bay, Raleigh, Oklahoma City/Seattle (whoever loses the Sonics)

Thanks, but we'll give up the Durham Bulls (AAA) and Carolina Mudcats (AA) and take an MLB team instead.

nav-logo.png

In addition to all of that, let's be honest here for a second - Pittsburgh (well, Western PA as a whole) is not very open minded when it comes to the potential characters that come along with an NBA team, and wouldn't do very well marketing to the target demographic. Hell with it - racism is very much alive in W. PA, and I can't see them putting a single dollar into the NBA. I'm shocked that they support the Panthers as much as they do.

Before anyone gets on me, I'm just saying the truth - they don't call it Pennsyl-Tucky for no reason. I'm not saying that racism isn't present in every city, including my own, but sometimes I feel like I'm going back into 50's Alabama when I pass Harrisburg on the turnpike.

Mac, you know where I'm coming from (at least a little bit) on this.

Can't say I can argue with that. There are some very, ahem "19th century attitudes" toward race in much of Pennsylvania. In many ways there you're defined by your ethnicity from birth - and you're definitely stereotyped there by it.

nav-logo.png

Thanks, but we'll give up the Durham Bulls (AAA) and Carolina Mudcats (AA) and take an MLB team instead.

Right except you do not have a Major Leage ready baseball stadium, you do have an NBA ready arena, and you are in the heart of hoops country. I did suggest Charlotte for MLB but that is based on the flirtations with the Marlins. If it turns out that Raleigh is better suited I have no problem with that, I had just never heard of MLB interest from that area.

I think all NHL teams should move to Canada, with the exception of Detroit because surely Canada will annex Michigan eventually.

Yes, lets forget about the strong American markets. Also, werent the last two teams to relocate from Canada?

The cities that MLB shoud be in at this point are pick two from the following:

Portland, Nashville, Salt Lake City, Vancouver, Indianapolis, Charlotte

If the power that be can't get together and agree on a stadium that meets AAA standards,what make you thing they can get together on a Major League Stadium?

Right except you do not have a Major Leage ready baseball stadium, you do have an NBA ready arena, and you are in the heart of hoops country. I did suggest Charlotte for MLB but that is based on the flirtations with the Marlins. If it turns out that Raleigh is better suited I have no problem with that, I had just never heard of MLB interest from that area.

No, but the new Durham Bulls Athletic Park was built with MLB-ready conversion capability. If the area got an MLB franchise in October, the team could play there (though admittedly the construction crews would be haulin' ass) the following April.

COLLEGE basketball is big here. The Raleigh market generally isn't very big when it comes to NBA ball though. Charlotte would like an MLB team I'm sure, but they'd be harder pressed to support it than Raleigh - if for no other reason due to the fact that Raleigh only has the NHL here, while Charlotte already has NFL and NBA teams competing for discretionary income.

nav-logo.png

Here we go: let's launch some new leagues with those cities reportedly deserving to have major league franchises in their area...

BASEBALL

Austin

Buffalo

Columbus

Indianapolis

Montreal (just for the hell of it)

Portland

Raleigh

Sacramento

FOOTBALL

Austin

Columbus

Los Angeles

Memphis

Milwaukee

Orlando

San Antonio

San Jose

BASKETBALL

Cincinnati

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Louisville

St. Louis

San Diego

Seattle

Tampa

HOCKEY

Baltimore

Hamilton

Houston

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Quebec City

San Diego

Winnipeg (just to shut 'em the hell up)

SOCCER

Atlanta

Las Vegas

Miami

Phoenix

Portland

Raleigh

San Antonio

Vancouver

How's that?

nav-logo.png

I still feel that the Sacramento area would be better suited for the A's than Fremont.

Really? Why?

At least the A's can still draw on the sizeable East Bay populace in Fremont, as well as the massive South Bay population. Sure, San Jose is Giants territory, but people will come on out to see an A's game.

Sacramento is a dump, plain and simple. Crappy tv market, too. They support the Kings, can they support an MLB team?

Here we go: let's launch some new leagues with those cities reportedly deserving to have major league franchises in their area...

BASEBALL

Austin

Buffalo

Columbus

Indianapolis

Portland

Raleigh

Sacramento

FOOTBALL

Austin

Columbus

Los Angeles

Memphis

Milwaukee

Orlando

San Antonio

San Jose

BASKETBALL

Cincinnati

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Louisville

St. Louis

San Diego

Seattle

Tampa

HOCKEY

Baltimore

Hamilton

Houston

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Quebec City

San Diego

SOCCER

Atlanta

Las Vegas

Miami

Phoenix

Portland

Raleigh

San Antonio

Vancouver

How's that?

Austin? for MLB and the NFL? they couldn't keep an Arena Football team!

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

BASEBALL

Austin

Buffalo

Columbus

Indianapolis

Portland

Raleigh

Sacramento

FOOTBALL

Austin

Columbus

Los Angeles

Memphis

Milwaukee

Orlando

San Antonio

San Jose

BASKETBALL

Cincinnati

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Louisville

St. Louis

San Diego

Seattle

Tampa

HOCKEY

Baltimore

Hamilton

Houston

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Quebec City

San Diego

SOCCER

Atlanta

Las Vegas

Miami

Phoenix

Portland

Raleigh

San Antonio

Vancouver

How's that?

Technically they are now AF2, but it isn't the city that brought it down it was the owner who couldn't handle the cost of operating the team on an AFL level. They had great attendance just not an owner who couldn't handle the cost.

BASEBALL

Austin

Buffalo

Columbus

Indianapolis

Portland

Raleigh

Sacramento

FOOTBALL

Austin

Columbus

Los Angeles

Memphis

Milwaukee

Orlando

San Antonio

San Jose

BASKETBALL

Cincinnati

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Louisville

St. Louis

San Diego

Seattle

Tampa

HOCKEY

Baltimore

Hamilton

Houston

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Quebec City

San Diego

SOCCER

Atlanta

Las Vegas

Miami

Phoenix

Portland

Raleigh

San Antonio

Vancouver

How's that?

Technically they are now AF2, but it isn't the city that brought it down it was the owner who couldn't handle the cost of operating the team on an AFL level. They had great attendance just not an owner who couldn't handle the cost.

ahhh didn't know the details on that.

but the NFL, in Cowboys/Texans territory?

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Archived